“they try hard.”

La Quinta Inn Lubbock - Downtown Civic Center
Ranked #49 of 69 Hotels in Lubbock
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I stayed at this hotel twice, about a week apart, while in Lubbock on business.

From other La Quinta stays, I expected a little more, especially from the breakfast. However the breakfast was the biggest let down.

The first stay, I arrived late at night, the staff was very welcoming and had my room made up for me, when I got to the room, the lights were on, the ac was going, overall rather pleasant. I was a bit put off by the recently renovated note on this hotel, make no mistake, this is a very old property and it is pretty much that the rooms have been painted, big flat screen television that equal renovated. The bathroom is rather old, the doors all open outside, overall, just a fixed up old property. I will say, very comfortable bed, clean linens, decent coffee, all in all, a nice room for its age.

The breakfast was very disappointing. I am used to eggs, bacon or sausage, biskets and gravy, that kind of fare, from a La Quinta, not here though. Cold bagels, super small coffee cups, or juice, lots of cold food as the waffle machine was not working.

I did find a nice place across the street for breakfast.

With that all in mind, when I had to return to Lubbock a week later, I made a reservation here again. The second trip, well the front desk was not as welcoming when I got in. The room I was put in, right off the pool, was hideous. It was not cool from the get go, the door to the room looked like someone had beaten it open. The mini fridge was making a weird noise, finally unplugged it about 2 am so I could sleep. However the beds in this room left a lot to be desired, the first bed had a broken box spring, so I tried the second bed, a little better. Also the toilet kept running, had to deal with that. Overall I got about 3 hours of sleep. I went to the front desk and brought it up. The staff was very apologetic, switched my room (I was there for 4 days) and made it right.

I will say, 2 of the 3 rooms I had were nice and clean, the housekeeping staff takes care to do their job correctly.

During this trip the waffle machine was working, however I just chose Denny's next door for breakfast, much better overall. (awesome service there.)

All in all, there is adequate parking, a very good staff, the rooms are comfortable (unless you get the crappy one, hopefully they fixed it all by now). The property feels safe and that is a plus.

Basically, it is a decent hotel, just not one of the best of the brand.

With all that in mind, I would probably stay there again if I had to.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Very uncomfortable bed and very old hotel. Pictures and description are deciving and will never stay there again. Internet and phone did not work in the room and was very noisy. Was not able to eat the FREE breakfast because there was not enough tables to sit at and kitchen area was very small.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

We got to the hotel around 2 AM and found out that they did not have electricity in the rooms. The lady at the front desk told us that we could go to a different hotel but in all honesty we were too tired to argue. So I asked for a flashlight. Good thing she had one. I know that there are events that cannot be foreseen but I was not very happy with them about going into a dark room and having to keep the front door open (32 F that night) and a flashlight to be able to see around.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed here one night for the ring ceremony at Texas Tech. The room was very clean and had everything we needed for the stay. They even called us after we got in our room to make sure it was alright and to see if we needed anything!

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Needs Renovation. Overpriced Non Smoking rooms smell like . Service was very good. this LaQuinta has the right employees but wrong owner/Management. every time I left my room the security latch would lock becase it was so worn out requiring maintance to let me in. these latches are very cheap maid said it happen all the time door had to be slamed shut because door rubbed on frame. very run down!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

But I don't smoke at all. My clothes wreaked of cigarette smoke for just a one night stay. The beds were ok, the bathroom was very small. For the value, I guess we got what we paid for, except black lung wasn't on the list

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We selected this hotel due to its relative proximity to TTU in order to visit my son and attend the TT v. OSU football game. We also needed a hotel that allowed pets so we could bring our chocolate lab to visit my son. Room was generally good with good hotel staff. Room rate is a bit high for the level of the accomodations.