“Family Reunion Disaster!”

Ranked #57 of 68 Hotels in Lubbock
Amarillo, Texas
“Family Reunion Disaster!”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My uncle in law was nice enough to buy our family a hotel room at the Koko Inn for the weekend for a family reunion. I will never ever ever go back to this hotel. I did not feel safe. The area is terrible. The rooms are filthy. There were burns on the comforters. We did not sleep with them. The carpet looked like it had NEVER been vacuumed. My brother in law's room was just the same. The bathroom was dirty with stains all over the bathtub. The tropical atrium is terrible. It was probably 109 degrees with 100% humidity because of the "heated" swimming pool. The pool was freezing. And the carpet around the pool floods. We had to have extra fans to cool off the elderly people at the reunion. Awful staff. This motel doesn't even deserve a full star.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank road_trip_girl1015
Gibi G, General Manager at Koko Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
I am so sorry and surprised to read your review. This reunion has stayed with us for many, many years. The only complaint I received during the reunion was about the atrium being to hot, and it was. Our big unit on the roof was not keeping it cool, we are having it worked on. I am sorry about the big fans, but that was all we could do at the time. I am so sorry you did not feel safe, we have a Watchman and the Atrium has locking doors. We always try to keep a safe environment.
I was unaware of any rooms problems, when many of the group left they told us what a wonderful time they had and rebooked for next year.
You stated the Staff was awful, please explain this statement to me. We take pride in our outstanding Staff, I need to know if you had a problem with one of them.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Corrales, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed July 23, 2012

To: Phyllis Crable

Where do I start? My husband made these reservations for us. He is a truck driver who had a route to Lubbock a couple times each week. Lubbock was one of his favorite stops. That was about eight or nine years ago. He loved staying at the KOKO Inn. Eight years ago we spent our twenty-fifth wedding Anniversary there. It was awesome. Staff was fantastic and our room could not have been more beautiful and clean.

Now here we are eight years later and in need of a couple rooms due to a family emergency. Our three year old grandson got very ill and had to be air lifted from the hospital in Carlsbad, NM to the Children's hospital in Lubbock,TX. My older daughter flew to Carlsbad on a shuttle from the Albuquerque Sunport the next morning. She, baby grandson Easton and I, headed for Lubbock. My husband called Phillis, GM, and she offered us a great price to help us out with the unexpected expensives. I was thrilled just to think about staying at the KOKO Inn again. I was devastated when I saw the filth of the room. I rang the front office and asked if I could have the room vacuumed due to the baby crawling on the floor and putting crumbs and whatever it was from the floor into his mouth. James, the front clerk, told me no one was there who could vacuum. I requested one and told James I would vacuum it myself. Forty-five minutes later a very nice man brought me the vacuum and insisted on doing the work himself. I was impressed. He also removed and replaced a broken floor lamp. In the mean time my grandson had been discharged from the hospital so my older daughter went back to the hospital to get him and his mother. The man who did the vacuuming told me, James, told him, I had probably made the mess myself and just wanted it cleaned up. He told me he could see that the room had not been cleaned and that was why he went ahead and vacuumed the whole room. When I pulled the sheets back, on my bed, there was this stain that was most diffidently a mans bodily fluids, dried, and when I tried to take them off the bed they were stuck to the mattress pad. I asked my older daughter to please check her sheets and they looked clean. My younger daughter uncovered one of the beds in her room and there was crumbs, candy, junk between the sheets. The other bed in the room was broken so she put the three year old in that bed. At least it had clean sheets on it. Whne she called for clean sheets they were delivered to her room. I actually took the (sperm) sheets to the office to show them just how dirty the rooms really were. Evidently when cleaning a two bed room only one bed is stripped and re-maid. The carpet turned all of our feet black. Like walking outside on a dirty sidewalk. I asked for Phyllis but was told she was on vacation until the following Sunday. I was told she would call me Sunday morning. But, no phone call. I wasn't really expecting one since she had to know we would NEVER stay in such filth again. Not even if it was free. Thank goodness we only had to stay one night and were able to drive back to Carlsbad the next morning.

I am not sure what happened to this once beautiful elegant hotel but it is now being run by someone who has no standards. There is so much more I could tell you about what went on the night we were there but I will spare you the testimonial. It was just plan and simply bad bad bad.

Room Tip: No good rooms at all
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Sharon P
Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Had the misfortune of staying here with my mother, sister and two small nephews, and we were able to get adjoining rooms for the evening. My youngest nephew is crawling and we noticed the floor had tons of food particles, we asked the front desk attendant to have someone come vacuum, we were told that housekeeping was off for the day and to just keep the baby off the floor. My moms said NO just bring ME a vacuum and we would take care of it…so they did. Really, we should clean our own room? Come to find out they now rent this place by the hour, prostitutes roam about the atrium the and the staff’s children run the pool from 8am to 10pm. Upon pulling my mom’s bed back we were disgusted to see what appeared to be male body fluid all over the sheets, my sisters bed had crushed food particles between the fitted and top sheet and the box spring was broken. There was black mold on the walls in the bathroom, loose wiring hanging from the ceiling, the carpet was sticking and left your feet black, and the room smelled so bad I wanted to puke! ATTN Health department PLEASE MAKE A VISIT! I feel like I should have had some sort of vaccination after staying here…DISGUSTING!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Dawna C
Gibi G, General Manager at Koko Inn, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Give me a break! Why would anyone stay in the place described for 5 min. less an entire night?
Freedom of speech is wonderful and should not be used for untruths. To have a problem and voice it is fine, but to write things that just are not true is wrong.
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Awesome very safe and kid friendly. Love the pool and very good service and great view. Rooms are clean. And service is amazing

• Stayed June 2012
Gibi G, Manager at Koko Inn, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to serving you again.
Alamogordo
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Felty and smelly room, hookers parking cars waiting for customers at night in front of the parking lot of the guest rooms. Noisy all night long from cars and people talking in front of the parking lot. Room very hot, AC smells, bath tub and sink stained and rusty. Carpet seemed never been vaccumed for months. There were bugs and blood stained on my sheet. Very sorry that I stayed due to all hotels booked for graduations that weekend and could not find any rooms. My room was pre paid with no refund. Dirty all around in the pool area and rooms. I got sick from stayed at this place. Health Department should check in on this place.

Room Tip: "a felty place"
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Whitesands451
Gibi G, Manager at Koko Inn, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
We do not have a no refund policy at this hotel. If ever one our our guest are not satisfied, we will make every effort to fix it.
Did you report any problems to the Desk or Manager? Please call me so we can discuss it. We have a Watchman on duty at night to take care of any problems.
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Shuttle service available. Various restruants and shopping within walking distance. Inside is a breathtaking view for a botinest.
Only complaint is no room service or valet.

• Stayed January 2012
Gibi G, Manager at Koko Inn, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Thanks for the great review. We are really working hard to up grade this property. Our Employees can not be beat, and our Guests are wonderful!!
Frinton-On-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2011

Arrived in Lubbock on Friday night with a $30ish voucher for this place only to find that the local college football teams were playing this weekend and that the rate had been trebled.
Probably good when it was built in the 50s or 60s but old and weary now with it's inward facing rooms overlooking the inside garden borders,decking and pool giving the outside/inside feel.
Room was clean enough and bed comfortable but very off putting to lay in bed the next morning and hear somebody using the toilet immediately over you head in the room above.
Front desk man by the name of Andy was very friendly and helpful so for him alone would probably use again at the right price.
Good security on external back doors

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Gibi G, Manager at Koko Inn, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
First of all, thank you for staying at the Koko Inn. I am so sorry about us not taking the coupon over a football weekend. We only take them Sunday through Thursday nights. Our rates do go up on special event weekends, but we try to still keep our rates in line. I hope next time you are in town you will come see us again. We have just brought our new in room a.c / heater units up, and are making improvements everyday.
Phyllis Crable