“Poor communication”
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #53 of 69 Hotels in Lubbock
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I recently well in June of 2009 stayed at this hotel,the hotel it self was ok,has i had stayed there once before.I am however very upset with the hotel staff and MANAGER (WHO APPARENTLY DOESNT CHECK HIS MESSAGES OR CALL YOU BACK) And the customer service dept.at the holiday toll free number.Problem was i tried to make a reservation online and for some reason my priority club sign in was not working,so i called the 800 number and spoke with someone there,after spending over 45 minutes on the phone trying to get the service rep to understand ENGLISH,WE FINALLY Got my reservation in the system (so i thought) i was actually already in lubbock and staying at another hotel (LQ-ITS SUCKS) and so i decided to move across the street to the twin towers. I called the front desk the following morning to confirm and see when i could move over (so to speak) and the girl at the front desk could not find my reservation,after some searching she saw it was misspelled by the other lady.I got there and there was no problem while there.THE PROBLEMS CAME AFTER I LEFT TOWN.
I was billed once for my one night stay and paid the bill left it on my debit card,then when i checked my online banking i discovered a second charge of a lesser amount was also on there,i contacted the hotel front desk and was told give it "a few days" to see if it would "fall off" well it didnt.So I again contacted the hotel directly and was told they would look into the problem,well a week plus passed and still NO CREDIT BACK INTO MY ACCOUNT.I called once agian and spoke to the front desk manager (J) and was told once agian they had "corrected the mistake" well guess what? So after another few days still NO CREDIT BACK INTO MY ACCOUNT. By this point I AM PISSED...I called and asked to speak to the HOTEL MANAGER..OF COARSE HE WAS NOT IN OR HAS CALLER ID> I LEFT THREE VOICE MAILS WITHIN A ONE WEEK PERIOD ASKING HIM TO CALL ME BACK (NEVER HAPPENED)
So i once agian contacted the hotel directly and asked for the bllling dept,and was told by this lady,they found the problem and that i was charged a one nt stay for a no show,lol, ok they cant SPELL MY LAST NAME (ALL OF FIVE LETTERS) And that was the problem ,but she "did credit my account and i should see it in my account within the week" WELL TWO WEEKS LATER....STILL NOT THERE (GO FIQ) I called GUEST RELATIONS AND SPOKE TO A PERSON THERE,She gave me a case number and then explained the hotel would contact me within "48 hours" to try and "resolve" the issue. SO guess what??? YOU WOULD GUESSED RIGHT NO ONE FROM THE HOLIDAY DAY INN TWIN TOWERS CONTACTED ME!!!! I LEFT TOWN AND SO TODAY ,I CALLED THE GUEST RELATIONS BACK AND THEY CALLED THE HOTEL AND SPOKE TO SOMEONE THERE AND THEY CLAIMED TO HAVE CREDITED MY ACCOUNT BACK IN JULY 16TH,WELL FUNNY IT WAS NOT THERE AND THEN I GOT DISCONNECTED,I called the hotel agian and asked to speak to the billing person,she was"busy" and so i contacted holiday inn guest relations,they asked if i had a fact number to my bank so they could "fax them the information" to "release the funds" DID I NOT JUST SAY THEY TOLD ME IT WAS ALREADY DONE BACK IN JULY/?????? SO BOTTOM LINE:
1.NEVER EVER MAKE A RESERVATION USING HOLIDAY INNS TOLL NUMBER (NO ONE SPEAKS ENGLISH)
2.MAKE SURE TO PAY IN CASH
3.DO NOT EXPECT GUEST RELATIONS TO HELP U IF THERE IS A PROBLEM
4,DO NOT EXPECT ANY RESPONSE OR CALLS FROM THE STAFF AT THE TWIN TOWERS
5.DO NOT EXPECT TO SEE OR HEAR FROM THE "MANAGER" IF THEY REALLY HAVE ONE,TO CALL YOU BACK NO MATTER HOW MANY MESSAGES YOU TRY TO LEAVE.

PS. I FORGOT TO MENTION THE DOOR TO MY ROOM WAS BROKEN WHERE YOU PUT THE CARD IN TO OPEN THE LOCK,I REPORTED IT WHEN I CHECKED IN BUT NOTHING EVER GOT REPAIRED,SO I HAD TO HOLD IT WITH ONE HAND WHILE INSERTING THE CARD WITH THE OTHER.... NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Mkhan09, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2009

I want to apologize for the inconvenience and want to thank you for your business. We have taken all the corrective action to prevent this happening in the future.
Please accept my apology and let me know what I can do to make you a happy guest.

Reviewed July 19, 2009

There were so many things that made this stay uncomfortable in this aging property that I'll just say that the Hotel's quality level is more on par to a $70 room in this area. Pay anything more for this lodging and you've overpaid.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Mkhan09, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2009

Thank you for your review of our property. We strive daily to improve all of our services to better accomodate our guests.

Reviewed May 25, 2009

The place looks like a Motel that was converted to and Hotel. So they have rooms that are outside and some inside.

The Hospitality was flat out awesome. The people seem to enjoy their work environment and they made the stay great.

The rooms were clean. The management seems to have done a great job keeping this old hotel in very clean and respectable shape.

It would have been great to have a refrigerator in the room. With little ones a place to keep milk cool would have been great. With the indoor pool and arcade you would think the place was geared for families, but no refrigerator.

That was really my only negative was the refrigerator……..My next stay in Lubbock I would use this Holiday Inn again

I am a Platinum Member staying in multiple IHG properties for Business and Pleasure over the past year. This was a nicely kept 2 to 3 star Motel/Hotel.

Did I say the hospitality was flat out awesome!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank tamss13
Mkhan09, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2009

Thank you for your comment on Trip Advisor. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and found our service 'awesome". We strive to keep all of our guests happy and try to go above and beyond with our service. I do apologize that you had no refrigerator. We have them available for the rooms upon request. Please ask, the next time you stay with us and we will have one delivered to your room.

Reviewed April 29, 2009

I began this mightmare by trying to call the hotel to book a three night stay at the hotel. It rang and rang, finally I was transfered to a Central booking agent. I reserved the room at the Conference rate for IEEE. I asked to received a Confirmation by E-mail, I never got it. I called the hotel to check on the reservation, they stated that I did not have one on file. So, I asked to make one, they said they did, I asked for the Confirmation number to be sent via E-mail, it didn't happen, The night before the Trip, I checked on-line, and I still didn;t have a reservation, I called again, they promised me that they would make a reservation for me. I showed up at the hotel and they said that my reservation was for only one night and that I had pre-paid, I mentioned that it was for two nights, they said no problem, When I checked out, they charged me for the two nights, I asked about the pre-pay, that I made, they said that it would be refunded. It never was. I called to complain and was told, that I had made 4 reservations and that I should be happy that they only charged me for one night extra. I am quite put out, the hotel was fine but the reservation system is quite poor. The staff seems quite disorganized and un willing to resolve this. I am still waiting for Michael Khan's return call to resolve this.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mkhan09, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2009

Thank you for staying with the Holiday Inns in Lubbock. Afterr our phone conversation , I hope we can agree that we had gone beyond and above to satisfy your needs by issuing an additional credit of $100.57 and aside from not charging you the $291.54 for the two no show reservations totaling $392.11. I do apologize for the inconvenience of your reservation process. Unfortunately, 3 of the 4 reservations were made by you through central reservations and online directly. Please let us know if we can be any more assistance and once again, thank you for using Holiday Inns of Lubbock.

Reviewed February 8, 2009

This experience had made me think twice about using services that don't let you see which hotel you are being booked into. I requested a 3-star hotel when using hotwire for this reservation. Apparently, this hotel has an indoor corridor and rooms that have doors on the outside. I was given a room on the outside. The hotel was an older one which had been remodeled. The furnishings were nice, but the bathroom door woudn't close, the tile was dirty, and the vanity was small and looked like it hadn't been replaced in the remodel. Sunlight came through the cracks around the outside door. Internet was very, very slow. I expected at least a free contental breakfast at this 3-star hotel, but it wasn't offered. On the plus side, location was good and the room was very large.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mkhan09, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2009

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. We regret that your experience wasn't up to your satisfaction. The majority of our rooms are located inside the hotel. We do however have some rooms that guests can drive up to and unload their automobiles. We have addressed your concerns and have taken corrective actions.

Reviewed August 29, 2008

This is the second time I have stayed at this property while in Lubbock on business, and I already booked another stay with my family so my kids can play in the pool area (as we'll be passing through Lubbock on a trip).

Spacious, quiet and clean rooms. Extremely large atrium with indoor pool, fountain and cocktail lounge. As I arrived late, I had a salad in the atrium lounge, and it was one of the best Cobb salads I've ever had.

Hot breakfast was free and included scrambled eggs, hash browns, fruit, etc. Same waitstaff there this year as last year. I was in a hurry and they were accomodating.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Working_MomAustin_TX
Reviewed June 27, 2008

We traveled with a larger (12) group, reserved a king and they were out. Fine, this happens often I've found. Had to share a double with 2 other people. Desk didn't inform us it was a Handicap room which means NO COUNTER SPACE in bathroom and no bathtub.

We were quoted a rate which we DID NOT RECEIVE and they made no effort to fix it.

The hotel pool was under renovation which they also did not inform us of which was THE WHOLE REASON we reserved with them.

Two days after we left they charged me for an additional $125 for what they said was 'cigarette burns' in the comforter. They shipped the comforter to me and it was obvious that the 2 half-dollar size burns were NOT cigarette burns, had they been im sure the whole room would have caught fire. I feel it was fradulent and the hotel manager was no help, more of a hassle to deal with regarding the issue.

Counter help was non existant and during our stay and after they seemed more bothered than helpful.

They could give me a room for free and I still wouldnt stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2008
    • Check in / front desk

Thank you for your comments about the Holiday Inn Park Plaza. We do apologize for your inconvenience during your stay. We do have a smoking policy in place to prevent our guests smoking in a non-smoking room to ensure that our non-smoking customers have a pleasant stay. We do offer smoking rooms. We are under new management and have just completely renovated the hotel including our spacious indoor swimming pool.