“Dated, huge hotel. Very inefficient. Front desk staff did their best to be unhelpful.”
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #45 of 66 Hotels in Lubbock
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed July 7, 2013

It's an older Holidome type of hotel with a massive atrium and pool area. To go from one end to the other was a trek. One of our rooms needed light bulbs. (3 were burned out) We took them to the front desk to ask for more and the desk clerk was very surly and said that maintenance had to do it. As we walked out we heard the maintenance man get the call on his walkie talkie and we told him we could just take the light bulbs back with us, which we did. He was very friendly.

Later, I called down to the front desk to get the access code for the internet. I was informed that it was on my key card packet and I should check there. I had it in my hand and looked and told them that it wasn't on the the packet. The man then told me the code. Never an apology or anything, just lots of condescension.

The next morning we ate breakfast at the restaurant in the hotel. Our waitress was very good and she told us that we should have gotten coupons for the breakfast when we checked in, which we did not. She also said we should have gotten coupons for a drink in the bar the night before. Nope, didn't get those either.

They are building a new Holiday Inn Express in Lubbock. If you can, stay there. It has to be better than this place was!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Patty D
Brian Scott A, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
We thank you for staying with us and for your comments. We are deeply sorry that you found some aspects of the Holiday Inn Park Plaza less than satisfactory. Without comments like yours we would not have the opportunity to improve upon our services, and the feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Ottawa, Illinois
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Upon arrival, I noticed that this was an outdoor, 70’s style motel. As someone who travels on business very often, I was disappointed in the old façade. Entering the “lobby” that was nothing more than a couple old chairs and couches with what looked to be a restaurant to my left. At the desk, I was not greeted with a friendly smile. The two desk clerks were unprepared for my visit as nothing was ready, not the breakfast ticket, the water and snacks, or the room keys….he even had me in a different room that was switched when I checked in. He gave me a sheet of paper to mark what I wanted for a ‘bonus’, as a Gold Priority Club member, you are able to choose what you prefer. I went for the bonus points and breakfast buffet. Upon inquiring about the breakfast coupon he had scribbled out for me, I asked if I was to reuse this one every day for the rest of my stay. He informed me that as Holiday Inn requires, they give you snacks (3 musketeers bar and a trail mix) and water which was the only incentive needed. This particular property lets you choose your bonus that could include a breakfast buffet but that is only for one day. So regardless of status, you do not get breakfast unless negotiated up front.
After this, I made my way outside around to an entrance. I walked up to the door and there was a card reader held on by duct tape where my card would not work. It looked like it had been rigged up after being smashed in. I went around to another entrance, only to find this one propped open. With no elevators in sight, I carried my bags up to the second floor. It opened up to an atrium in the middle with what seemed to be the original floral carpeting. A pool was present at one end and a lounge at the other. The fountain in the middle was not on or not working. All along the outer perimeter were rooms. Once I found my room, I noticed immediately the floor to ceiling windows facing the atrium. The heavy drapes were the only thing covering the windows. Awkward best describes the room. Lights and light switches were in random places, the closet was all the way in the back of the spacious room, as was the bathroom. Yes, the room was spacious but with old décor, furniture, and carpeting. Plug – ins were not easy to find either. The bathroom was very small, barely enough space to turn around in. The height and length of the counter was something I noticed straightaway….the height was down to my thighs and barely big enough to fit my 3-1-1 bag, let alone me contact solution and case. At 5’7”, I was bent over to reach the counter most of the time.
The pool, being just outside my room in the atrium, was loud with kids most evenings. Any room in the interior would likely hear the same that I did. The fitness room was equipped with a new style treadmill and an old treadmill, very simplistic and without a holder for ipod or keys. There are 2 bikes, one standing and one sitting and a stair climber/elliptical. But the bar/lounge was full every night…some characters indeed.
Overall, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area. Find somewhere else and scrutinize the pictures.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank storm0926
Brian Scott A, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am deeply sorry you found some aspects of our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Travelers are raving about these Lubbock hotels

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

First, I get to the hotel very excited because our A/C is getting worked on, and in this Texas heat, my six-year old and I needed some nice air. We checked in, went to the room and we immediately got ready to go to the pool. The pool was not clean at all, we kept feeling slime at the bottom the finally decided to get out. We went to the bar to get drinks, and I asked the bartender for white wine, which she used leftovers out of every bottle and poured it in a plastic cup. We went back to the pool area and we decided to ignore the disgust of the pool and just swim. I got out to call the bar to make an order and the bartender told me I was not allowed to order food to-go, that I could only eat at the bar. This doesn't make any sense, and the rest of the stay I ordered delivery from various places because this seemed so odd for a hotel that claims "hospitality is #1." I let some if management know but nothing was done... Finally.... The worst part was the restroom in our room, I went to blow dry my hair and a wad of hair came out of the back with dust and bugs, and even better there was hair and dust scattered all on the base of the toilet. I called the front desk and they told me they would call me right back to fix it, but no phone call, and no effort at all to make my stay away feel good. I'm honestly repulsed by this hotel, and even though I got a great deal, a motel for $20 would have treated us better.

1 Thank Btr9121
Reviewed June 27, 2013

After a long drive passing through many towns and visiting many hotels/motels with two queen beds squashed into the one room, Holiday Inn Lubbock Park Plaza was a refreshing and spacious change that took us by surprise. The rooms are more like apartments, with huge living space (fold out bed for the kids), separate bedroom, kitchenette space and two -yes-two bathrooms. If you need a place to refresh - a home away from home - somewhere where you can have a bit of a breather on a longer trip across US (or some mummy/daddy time away from the kids) this is IDEAL.

Room Tip: Our room was upstairs in a corner.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Brian Scott A, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
We thank you for staying with us and for your comments. We truly appreciate such nice comments and hope to see you again soon. Without comments like yours we would not have the opportunity to improve upon our services, and the feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to celebrate service and show appreciation to our staff.
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Its a jungle of indoor plants, bar, pool, and miles of carpet. The boys got lost trying to find the room. This very dated hotel takes you back to the 70s or 80s. Full length glass is the interior wall between your room and the expansive indoors. Multiple stairs and quirky design make arriving at your room an adventure. The room was fresh, clean, well stocked, and updated.

• Stayed June 2013
We thank you for staying with us and for your comments. We are deeply sorry that you found some aspects of the Holiday Inn Park Plaza less than satisfactory. Without comments like yours we would not have the opportunity to improve upon our services, and the feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, in this instance it appears you had a problem with the design and layout of the property. We welcome all opportunities to improve, and definitely apologize for the issues you discussed above.
USA
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff and dated but pretty interior. Stayed in exterior room that was noisy from traffic and the bathroom was dirty. The room had all of the common amenities, but it just didn't seem clean. The interior rooms may be nicer.

• Stayed June 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear road2Usa,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. It is good to know you like our friendly staff. The staff at the hotel strives to always deliver great service. Your comments in regards to cleanliness and condition of the room are appreciated and will be used to ensure this area is improved on. It is feedback like yours which aids the hotel in continuous improvement.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I do hope we have opportunity to welcome you again.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night for a trip up to Lubbock for a graduation. The place is a little bit dated, but it's a nice facility with an indoor pool. Our room was clean, and the staff was very friendly. If I'm up in Lubbock again il stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
Brian Scott A, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013