“This hotel stay was great!”
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #51 of 69 Hotels in Lubbock
Reviewed October 11, 2011

I live about an hour outside Lubbock, & we stayed at the Holiday Inn Park Plaza for the weekend of my 30th birthday, so my husband & I could go "out on the town" in Lubbock. The hotel was suggested to me by my sister, who had a great experience the last time she was in Lubbock. The lobby receptionist was very nice, and gave us great directions to our room. She even gave me an enthusiastic "Happy Birthday" when my husband told her why we were there. When we got to our room, it was very clean and well maintained. The AC worked great, and the TV (which my husband promptly sat down to watch) had a great variety of channels. It was very close to any restaurant we wanted to go to, and to the bar we went to to celebrate with friends. It felt like we were right in the middle of anything we would need! So convenient! The hotel staff was always so nice and accommodating. I will definitely be staying here again the next time I come to Lubbock for a "vacation", and I will definitely recommend it to my friends! Thanks Holiday Inn!

• Stayed: September 2011
KristinMurray, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2011

Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Park Plaza. We appreciate your business and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future. If you need anything, please do not hesitate to call. Sincerely, Kristin Murray

Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed here during a football game, so prices all over town were inflated, as to be expected. We payed $209+tax, knowing it was too much, but expecting at least a clean, safe stay for the weekend. WRONG!!! When we checked in we were given two free warm beers and a key to SOMEONE ELSE'S ROOM!! Imagine my surprise when I walked in on that poor guy. Made me feel super safe. When I requested an 'interior room' they said they couldn't give me one, and repeatedly told me that "the room we gave you shows that it's clean and available." After 50 excuses, we got another exterior room. The room looked somewhat updated with regard to the 'newer' wallpaper and updated bed linens. The carpet was stained, and the bathroom wasn't very clean. To be honest, I tried with all my might to avoid touching the shower curtain the morning we were leaving b/c it was so gross. Coffee pot on a small, out of place table. No fridge or microwave. Certainly no frills hotel, but also NO extra effort from the cleaning staff! Also enjoyed the mounds of dust/hair on the top of the wall tiles in the bathroom. I'm just glad I was so exhausted I fell right asleep when we got back to the room that evening. Would stay in my car next time before staying here again!

Room Tip: I certainly did not feel safe with an exterior room. I strongly suggest requesting an interior room...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
KristinMurray, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor review. I apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay. I would love the opportunity to speak with you about your stay. Your business is important to us and we strive for all of our customers to pleasant experience. Please feel free to contact me at my direct line 806-784-1601 or by e-mail at kmurray@hipplubbock.com

Reviewed October 6, 2011

Rooms are okay but not the greatest. Booked room though travelocity. I paid them and then the Holiday Inn also charged my checking account. Found this out through my bank statement. Hotel offered to remiburse me but I would have to wait 3 to 10 days. Pissed off in Oklahoma. Will not stay here again!

Room Tip: Inside room because the back side in facing the allyway.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor review. I apologize for the billing issues from your last stay. I would like to discuss the problems with you so I can assure they have been corrected. Please feel free to contact me at my direct line 806-784-1601 or by e-mail at kmurray@hipplubbock.com

Reviewed September 16, 2011

Older hotel with interior- and exterior-facing rooms. Rooms are very large by today's standards. They have a huge atrium with a fountain inside near the pool. The staff was unbelievably nice. Every time I left the room, someone spoke to me and smiled. I had a bit of a problem with my tv remote, but I called the desk and someone was there within minutes to help me. I ordered room service, expecting normal room-service fare. Boy, was I surprised! Try the chicken penne pasta - it's great! Also had a great club sandwich, a hamburger, and mexican food before I left, all of which were wonderful. Went to the cafe for breakfast one morning and had everything I could have possibly wanted for breakfast - it was good too. Well worth it. Definitely will be staying with these folks again next time I'm in Lubbock.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
KristinMurray, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2011

Reviewed September 14, 2011

We had a group of 30-40 attend a Class Reunion at this hotel. Hotel provided our room accomodations and also provided Gathering Room for Friday night Social Hour with snacks, Sat Lunch and also Sat Dinner. The staff was excellent, pleasant & willing to adjust and/or work thru our requests, etc. & willing to work within our budget issues. FOOD for all 3 meals was very good--I heard many compliments and the wait staff was most accomodating/pleasant. A wedding was also going on at same time---with a very large crowd, which was demanding to the hotel. However, they took good care of our group despite the busy conflicts. The hotel was centrally located, offered all benefits. MY Group had a great time and we were well taken care of!

Room Tip: Ask for inside the atrium room. and also request a small refrigerator in room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jean P
KristinMurray, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2011

Thank you for your kind words. The staff enjoyed serving the DHS class of 1966 and we look forward to your next event! If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to call.

GM

Reviewed September 5, 2011

This hotel was NOT terrible, the room was clean and the bed was comfortable, a/c works great. They put us in the very back of the hotel which was a little concerning since it was just me and my mom but the parking lot was illuminated well so we were ok. You could see daylight all around the door frame with the door shut so that was a little wierd. Room was comfortable but the guest chair was stained up which makes you wonder how clean the place is. Room had a refrigerator which was nice and free wi-fi. TV had very few channels and no way to identify what channel you were watching so good thing we didn't make the trip to watch tv. Electricity went out at 4:45 am so a/c went out, no phone, no tv, and weather was impending and that was scary. We used the light from my cell phone to see how to gather our stuff and we left at 5:15 to head home, hoping to outrun the storm that looked like was heading directly for us. We couldn't get any information on what was coming and with no lights, tv, or phone we didn't want to hang around and find out.

I would say this hotel is ok but the price did not justify the quality not with the competition in hotels these days. I paid $85 plus plus totalling $105 for the night and this in my opinion was over priced for the quality. It was centrally located and easy to find. The restaurant was closed when we got there so we didn't have a chance to try it out so no recommendations pro or con.

Our room was right next to a hallway and people gathered and were talking and laughing really loud around 2:00 am so I called the front desk and asked them to address it, and evidently they did because the noise stopped immediately and I must stay that I appreciated that. It's happened before at other hotels and they never do anything.

There are a lot of newer and nicer hotels for the price so we will not be staying here again more than likely unless the price goes down to match the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room opening to the atrium and not out in the back forty for security.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
KristinMurray, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Holiday Inn Park Plaza. We appreciate your business and appreciate you taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. All feedback from guests is extremely appreciated, and your notes will be used to better train our staff and help us to improve our services and product. We look forward to serving you in the future. If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed September 4, 2011

In staying at the Holiday Inn Park Plaza, I would not quite say it deserves the three star rating. While my family did book this hotel through Priceline, I would say the experience was overall not the greatest. It truley does not deserve the three star rating.The service was not bad and we were allowed to check-in early which was nice. When there were times that the hot water did work, others I recieved no hot water or water pressure. Although the room was nice in the interior and plenty big with two nice queen beds, I must say it has a motel-like atmosphere if you are put on one of the outside rooms, which is not what you expect when going to a three-star hotel. We also decided to check out the indoor rooms where the pool is indoors, the pool is pretty nice but the sauna was absolutley disgusting and smelled a strong odor of urine! We walked by and were almost knocked down by the terrible smell. Overall I would say my experience was not to great but there is room for improvement, I would not recommend choosing this hotel though.

Room Tip: Request a room not within the exterior of the hotel
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Holiday Inn Park Plaza. We appreciate your business. Any feedback from guests is extremely appreciated, and your notes will be used to better train our staff and help us to improve our services and product. If I can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me.