“This is one of our family's favorite restaurants in Lubbock”

Jazz A Louisiana Kitchen
Ranked #65 of 613 Restaurants in Lubbock
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Description: Live music on Thursday nights!
Reviewed June 22, 2012

If you like Cajun with all of the atmosphere then you will love Jazz!

Reviewed May 28, 2012

My husband and I ate at Jazz last night, and it was terrible! Let me tell you why:

It took forever to get service. We sat down and every single person working looked at us, but no one smiled or greeted us for about 7 minutes. Oh, and my table was super greasy. A solid layer of oil! Gross. Once the waitress made it over to us, she didn't give us her name, didn't smile and had an overall attitude like she did NOT want to be there AT ALL!! We asked our server a few questions about the food/menu, but she didn't know the product. Basically just repeated back to us what was on the menu. Not a big deal. She could've been fairly new. I ordered the Chicken A La Mer, and my husband ordered the Garlic Seafood Platter. After a wait that seemed a little long for our food, it came. And our plates looked EXACTLY THE SAME! My rice was extremely dry and overcooked. The spices were good, but it just wasn't done well. Seemed a little old, honestly. My chicken was fried well. The outer edges were fried to a perfect crisp, but the middle was soggy. I knew it would eventually get that way because of the sauce, but it came to my table that way. I don't think that's acceptable. And the sauce.... oh the sauce! It's this thick "shrimp and crap" cream sauce. I see the direction, but I was very very disappointed. The shrimp didn't taste fresh. I was actually very turned off by them. They tasted old, and they were not cleaned properly. And I was appalled when I saw the imitation crab in the sauce. YOU CAN'T USE IMITATION CRAB IF YOU CALL YOURSELF A CAJUN RESTAURANT! Absolute no-no. There are few things in the culinary world I despise more than I despise "lab crab". It was very questionable. It just looked like overcooked, falling apart noodles. He couldn't taste the garlic in his dish, the seafood, again, didn't have good flavor and tasted old. I seriously think they just made the same thing for us both but just gave him fish instead of chicken. The bread she brought us tasted, old and store bought. It was cold and unevenly cut. There was a piece in there that looked like someone had eaten off of and then just tossed it back in. We didn't end up eating much. Later on, we both got really sick and ended up tossing anything we ate. It was such a waste of time and money!! It has been one of the worst experiences I've had in a restaurant. It is far from authentic and the service is bad. You disappoint me, Jazz.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

As a regular business traveler to West Texas, one of the first places a displaced Cajun took me has become a favorite regular of mine. Jazz in the daytime is a friendly busy place that serves up "a mess" of food: you can order 'half dishes' to get through the rest of your workday. Picture this: a lovely plate of linguine, covered with a grilled chicken breast, sauced with etoufee. Yes, that's right: etoufee! Along with half a baguette of buttered bread. Is it okay to have a beer with that?

In the afternoon after work, or early evening, the beer bar takes over (although I might have a 'snack'), and more college folk wander in. You start conversations, you begin to feel a little seniority and maybe even, oh I don't know, suave. It's all in fun. Somewhere the overhead speaker gets turned down and perhaps someone picks up a guitar or a banjo. Yes, a banjo. A song? of course. Everyone is suddenly: Cajun!

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Our friends wanted to take us to Jazz because my wife and I are from Louisiana, so we could have so creature comforts from back home. Our friends are amazing and thoughtful but Jazz was horrible and a waste of time & money. The service was poor to almost neglectful, the food tasted as if the cook dropped his whole salt shaker into the pot. Overall the food was terrible, not suitable for dogs and I'm not saying this because it's not "real cajun or creole" but rather that it is not real food. I will give them the benefit of the doubt, perhaps the cook was sick and they let a child prepare the food? Regardless I can not recommend this place to anyone.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

You need to know that the place is very small and very loud. I'll never know if the food was any good because we left after we found black slime in all five of our water glasses. We decided it was a sign of things to come, so we left before we ordered. Would not recommend bringing young children as the atmosphere is geared to the younger crowd.