“Outstanding”

Crafthouse Gastropub
Ranked #31 of 619 Restaurants in Lubbock
Cuisines: American
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

The oysters are to die for! The beer selection couldn't be more diverse. And the staff is so thoughtful and friendly. I'll keep coming back again and again!

2  Thank lubbockfoodie

Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

On our first trip to Lubbock we checked with Trip Advisor for a good place to have lunch. We are so glad that others had recommended Craft House. After getting over the surprise of its location (a strip mall), we were pleased to see the menu. With items like hand made pretzels, a charcuterie choice, Kobe beef corn dogs, and hand cut French fries, we were pumped. We each ordered a microbrew, then got the pretzel (which came with homemade shiner bock mustard -yum) and the pork belly on toast with aioli & micro greens. SO GOOD! We got the burger (with bacon, cheese & jalapeños plus carmelized onions) and the corn dog. These were both great too, best corn dog we have ever had. The chefs definitely elevated this typical carnival fare with the homemade catsup and not at all greasy cornmeal batter. The fries were great too, skins left on like a chip wagon in London! Service was super friendly too. The desserts looked amazing but we were just way too full. Wished we had room for some of their specialty cocktails, also had an amazing wine selection. Enjoy!

1  Thank Chrisandstef
Reviewed February 17, 2013

While I still mourn the loss of the Home Cafe, I am beginning to warm up to its replacement. The first couple of times I went, I found the service and the atmosphere a little off. They have rearranged the place and it is a vast improvement. While I wish the bar was set off instead of being a centerpiece of the restaurant, they have made the space much more inviting. The service and the menu has improved each time I have dined.

The most recent experience, I had a fantastic salmon served with the bare minimum of complimentary sides. The taste fusion was a wonderful treat. Each of the menu items has a carefully crafted set of sides items. The hard part was deciding what to choose. I find taking my time and watch the meals roll out of the kitchen is very hand way to pick the perfect meal. Note that the quantity of food varies quite a bit. My salmon was a small satisfying meal, but my friend was served a huge mound of beans with his pork roast that almost filled his plate. If quantity is an issue be sure to ask the wait staff about the size of the sides.

There are no reservations and I usually find if I arrive after 6:30 there is a wait for a table. This does not bother me too much, as the same varied menu is served at the bar.

1  Thank Jerry G
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Been three times in two weeks. Definitely get there before the crowd. The high ceilings make the place a bit noisy. Have tried the salmon, acorn squash, quinoa, bubble & squeak, hamburger, chicken salad and the all day breakfast. For desert we have had the caramello (sp) pie and the pretzel ice cream with caramel and brittle bacon bites. Everything was great!! Last night, the waitperson was a little "I am young and hip, you are old and don't know much." I hope it doesn't happen again.

1  Thank Texas1964
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The new themed restaurant (formerly the Home Cafe) fills a niche for a mid-priced, high quality restaurant with contemporary food options carefully prepared by owners who obviously care about doing it right. Located just south of the Tech Terrace neighborhood, this is an ideal spot for visitors near the university looking something good and different.

We had two appetizers - one was literally a jar of pickled vegetables that were fresh and delicious. A good appetizer to share if you want light and tasty. The other was lightly breaded potato (white and sweet) cabbage tater tots. These were very good, but could have benefited from more flavor in the potato mixture.

Our entrees included the steak with marrow butter, Ceasar with grilled chicken, and baby green lettuce with salmon. The steak was out of this world - prepared perfectly with seared, well flavored exterior. Fries were also exceptional - very crispy and well seasoned. Salads were high quality with fresh vegetables, and the chicken and salmon were both cooked perfectly.

Prices were very fair - $1.90 for coffee, appetizers all well under $10, and salads with meat were about $15. Also new is the bar area with a number of interesting craft brews on tap. I'll definitely be taking out of town guests to this place for a different, creative meal.

1  Thank michaelfN5159WR