“Food is Better than service, worth the wait.”
Review of Taqueria Jalisco

Taqueria Jalisco
Ranked #13 of 588 Restaurants in Lubbock
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: I eat here all the time and wanted to review it. It's really good food. Here is the url from yelphttp://www.yelp.com/biz/taqueria-jalisco-lubbock
“Food is Better than service, worth the wait.”
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

The parking lot is wierd here, it's very close to residential homes. As with other reviewers, I didn't feel comfortable leaving my car unattended, so I covered up anything I thought someone would break in to steal lol and, I'm not sure if it's the same guy but we too were approached buy a bum and asked for money... Kinda felt obligated, like if we didn't give a dollar I might have A broken window when I got back to my car lol
once inside, a sign asks that you wait to be seated. We walked in behind a guy who was alone, he said Hello to the servers and was clearly a regular because he sat himself. We then waited about 5 mins(which doesn't sound that long but really is when it's not that busy, there's plenty of servers and open tables, and the servers keep looking over at you standing there but don't greet you or anything!) so were finally sat, and we get our drinks and chips and salsa pretty quickly. The salsa is very good. I don't remember the exact name of the plates We ordered so I'll have to describe them. I had what was basically a typical carne asada plate but it had cooked cactus pieces on the meat, which I'd never tried but was very pleased with. My guy got a plate consisting of diced steak and mushrooms, both came with beans rice and tortillas. The tortillas are amazing and super fresh, clearly made on site.
Now for the service.. We waited quite a while for refills, and as usual (we are not shy diners) asked a bus boy for refills. It was awkward when the server returned with the refills and had a bit of an attitude, likely because we asked someone else to do his job, but hey, it's spicy food and we were neglected! I asked for a side of sour cream, asked how much it was and he pointed out snottily that it "says right on the menu that it's 75cents" umm ok because I had a menu infront of me halfway through my meal?? Lol so he returns with a rediculously huge serving of sour cream, and it's more than enough for 2 people. We didn't complain though. My guy asked for a few extra tortillas and without a word or any mention of an extra charge, the server brought them out. We finished our meal (which was excellent and not too pricey) and went to pay the bill, and were surprised to see we were charged for 2 sides of sour cream and extra charge for the 3 tortillas as well. When we asked the cashier about it she said the server indicated he brought a portion of sour cream big enough for two... Even though my boyfriend never asked for any. I then told her I'd pay for the extra tortillas but that the server needed to learn how to do his job and inform people when something they want will be an extra charge. She laughed it off, which I thought was kinda rude, I mean even if she doesn't care how we were treated she could atleast wait till we left to laugh about it! We decided on the way out that if we were to return it'd be to go orders all the way, which is unfortunate because the food is so freaking good!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Spartacus22

“Better places in Lubbock”
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Met daughter and her friend here. Did not think the staff was friendly at all and service was just so-so. Chips and hot sauce were the best part of the meal, IMO. We split the steak and shrimp fajitas and I must agree with a previous reviewer about it being overlooked ( with a significant amount of gristle) with few vegetables, no cheese, and guacamole that seemed like it came out of a plastic bag rather than being freshly made. The girls seemed to like their food (cheese and chicken enchiladas) so I am not giving it the lowest of ratings. But for what we ordered, I would recommend going elsewhere.

Visited May 2013
Lubbock
“Not fancy, but great food reasonably priced!”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We were looking for a place to go and hadn't tried this place in a while. The food was great. The service was fast and efficient. This place was originally an upscale Mexican restaurant and bar. It has become more laid back and close to fast food Mexican food but with quality. Chips and salsa were good also. Iced tea is never good in these places, so just drink water.

• Visited April 2013
“Local Favorite”
Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

I remember this place being much better when I was in college several years ago. The service was slow and unresponsive. I split an order of Fajitas Mexicano and the meat was over cooked with not much veggies. Also, every time I visit this restaurant I get hit up by a bum in parking lot asking for money.

1 Thank Jstaff83
“Great local feel with good food”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stop here every time I'm in Lubbock. You can tell it's authentic when the local Hispanic community dines here. I like the sound of Spanish being spoken with combination of good food. I've had lunch and breakfast and both were good.