La Quinta Inn & Suites Lubbock West Medical Center
Ranked #27 of 69 Hotels in Lubbock
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Checked in for one night on June 26 when my father had surgery at nearby Covenant Lakeside Hospital (only a couple of blocks away). Clearly this place had spiraled downward as it has aged -- to the point that what was a top hotel when it was first built years ago was on its last legs. Recent efforts to breathe some life into this place includes new flooring, new paint pretty much everywhere, comfortable beds and it seems that at least some of the furniture in the rooms is new. And I found the check-in clerk attentive, efficient, and helpful. I think they are trying.

That said, some things still need attention -- renovation dust in the elevator, sink in our room needs cosmetic attention (look in the lower part of the mirror and in the reflection of the sink you see problems where sink meets the counter top). And given that they allow pets in the hotel I wonder how long the improvements and updates will stay "fresh." But the biggest issue that I have is the sub-standard breakfast that is offered. The coffee was terrible -- had a burned taste to it. My spouse is a diabetic and she pointed out that there was virtually nothing offered at the breakfast that she could eat -- in particular there was no protein that fit her diet. Boiled eggs (still in the shell) were available, which she could have eaten, when I went down early in the morning for coffee but they were all gone by the time she arrived for breakfast. We ended up going out for breakfast.

Conclusion: Given how close it was to the hospital and how cheaply I was able to book (less than $50 online) this place was okay. But, even though they are trying, I would probably look elsewhere if I had it to do again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

A TripAdvisor Member
North Richland Hills, Texas, USA
Reviewed June 26, 2012

In our group of 12 families, these are things we encountered at this hotel - Blood on the bedskirt, mold on the shower curtain, dirty panties from a previous stay in the dresser, toilet overflowing, electrical problems in the bathrooms (light in the shower room would go out in the middle of the shower and leave the room pitch dark), scalding hot shower in the middle of the shower with no control over it, lack of bath towels, sometimes working sometimes not elevator, no variety at breakfast - waffles, bread, and apples- that's about it! If you like what you read, go ahead and stay here. One evening, there was absolutely no one there to even check anybody in or answer a phone. No staff members at all!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
A TripAdvisor Member
Midland, Texas, USA
Reviewed June 23, 2012

I traveled into Lubbock the weekend of my wedding and upon checking in I was greeted with professional and courteous staff that understood customer service. While organizing the assembly of the wedding, rehearsals, and such I was highly stressed and forgot to check out of the room on Saturday and check in to another room for Saturday night. By the time that I was aware of my folly I contacted the front desk only to be informed that they had already handled all the details, had the new keys available, and had everything taken care of. ALL the staff had wonderful insight and understanding of all the needs of their guests. With everyone of our guests that had stayed in the block of rooms I had reserved, not one complaint or discomfort was brought up.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel in the past and it was due for renovations, they have now finished with construction and WOW it's AMAZING. As always the staff is by far the BEST, so nice and helpful and they always seem to actually CARE, its just the small things that they do, ask for a cab number and their response is I'll call and set it up for you, or ask where something is and they draw you directions on a map ect, just AWESOME staff. The hotel itself is BEAUTIFUL... New carpets, furniture, paint, TVs ect. The breakfast is pretty much a regular continental breakfast, nothing too exciting there, would love to see some bacon, eggs ect but I doubt that will happen. We will definitely return to this hotel for all our stays in Lubbock!

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stopped here after a full day of driving from Corpus Christi, TX on our way to Albuquerque, NM. We were exhausted when we arrived and it was late, 1AM. The lady at the counter was not very friendly nor was she helpful, as they couldn't find out reservation. As others have stated, this place is in MAJOR need of updates, as they are cracks in the wall, discoloring on the walls, and terrible plumbing. My husband and I refused to walk around the room without flip flops on, as the room just felt/looked/smelled dirty and disgusting. If we weren't so tired, we would have left and found another place immediately! We did not sleep well as the beds felt dirty and there a lot of "shady" guys hanging around outside the room and working on the room next to us early the next morning. We did NOT feel safe at this La Quinta. The main reason for staying at a La Quinta was because we had two dogs with us - there was NO place for them to their business on the property, so we had to walk them down the road to a nearby business center. I felt bad using the business center's grass, but cleaned up after the dogs immediately. This was one of our worst experiences with La Quinta and we will NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I spent 2 nights in this hotel and was in 3 different rooms. The first had no air conditioning, the second had no internet service so I had to sit out in the hall to work. At the time of my stay, the hotel was undergoing a renovation in the atrium so I understand some construction dust. Unfortunately, none of the rooms were clean and it went way beyond construction dust (partially used shampoo bottle on the shower rod bracket, hair on the shower enclosure walls and floor, candy wrapper on the floor and curtains falling off the rods).
As a business traveler that spends many nights in hotels every month, I can honestly say this is the worst hotel experience I have had in quite some time. The only positive thing I can say is the young man that worked evenings at the desk (I believe his name was Chase), did his best to accommodate me and was extremely apologetic for the shortcomings of the hotel.
While this hotel is in need of a cosmetic upgrade, I think the management needs to focus on some more basic needs such as cleanliness and equipment upkeep by maintenance.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We were on our return end of a "Family" trip to Colorado when we stayed here. The Inn is in much need of an update, cracks, mold and terrible plumbing. I did discover during my check out that renovation had started on the top floor recently. Great !! I will check if its been completed prior to staying there again. Staff was great and very friendly.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family