“A local view of CIG”

Cast Iron Grill
Ranked #2 of 608 Restaurants in Lubbock
Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Cast Iron Grill is a busy restaurant nestled in downtown Lubbock. Our menu is filled with country cookin' specialties that are made from scratch. Our desserts are homemade every morning. Come Join us For Breakfast or Lunch Monday-Friday 6am-2pm We are also open Friday Nights for dinner from 5pm-9pm. Come enjoy the patio on friday nights with live music.TIP: Order Dessert First
Reviewed July 22, 2013

For the best chicken fried steak in Lubbock, head out to the CIG. You can expect Teresa and her crew to be cutting up and laughing with the regulars and even if you're new or just passing through, don't be surprised if you're called "Hon" or "Sweetie" while you're ordering. The food is always hot, there's always plenty, and it's always good. The pies are awesome and made from scratch every morning. You won't be disappointed and if there's a line out the door, it'll be worth the wait.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Located next door to the Buddy Holly Center (don't miss it), this place serves good old Texas home cooking, with a delightfully country decor ("Shopping with your husband is like going hunting with the game warden"), and friendly, sassy, knowledgeable wait staff (thanks, Marcella), hosted by the one and only Teresa Stephens, a gal with a vision and the courage to attain it. Their homemade pies are justly famous, so if you want dessert, order it first. (they routinely sell out). Yesterday, I had their chicken tenders, carmelized onions, green beans (two shots), with sweet tea, homemade rolls, butter, and strawberry cheesecake with graham cracker crust. Yep, my weight gain program is progressing nicely, especially at this place. I don't live in Lubbock, but if I did, I'd hit this place two or three times every week. It's that good, and that much fun. Too bad I can't give it more than five stars, it's more like a ten star cafe. Go when you can.

2  Thank rangercatfish
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I went here the morning of my friend's son's wedding - the waitress was so excited for her - she had little stories to tell about her own wedding, etc. The food was so-so, but it was fun to people watch - there were police, families, groups of guys, solos, basically all sorts of people and they had all sorts of different seating arrangements - booths, tables & chairs, counter with stools - lot of choices. The food was so-so (I had a breakfast sandwich), but I wasn't paying much attention to the food, anyway - we were too excited about catching up and talking about the wedding!

1  Thank Krtko
Reviewed July 9, 2013

After always wondering where (besides the excellent BBQ joint) we can eat when we pass through Lubbock we finally found the jewel of the Cast Iron Grill. Have to thank TripFinder reviews or we would still be in the dessert of road trip restaurants! This place is good! Really good! We walked in at 1:00 p.m. and sat down to a wonderful homestyle cooked meal. My son and I had the special of the day...chicken spaghetti. It had lots of white meat chicken and was exactly what I had hoped it would be when I ordered it. The others in our party had the chopped steak. All the sides were good. We split a Mississippi Mud brownie because we were all rather full from the meal. But the pies looked incredible! All of the servers were very friendly and the speed of meal delivery was shockingly quick. And the prices were spot on! Will be making this a routine stop when driving through Lubbock. Thanks again to the other reviewers for pointing us to the Cast Iron Grill!

1  Thank Star0fTexas
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were going to the Buddy Holly Musuem and we decided to eat first. That was one of the best decisions we made while in Lubbock. The worst decision we made is that we ate here on our way back home. Now I know TX pie places: Koffee Kup in Hico, Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls,The Pie Co. in Fredericksburg...so it's hard to pick but let's just say I wish I had not wasted room in my stomach and had just ordered 2 different pies! The problem is the food is also good! I ordered a veggie plate with the yummy fried green beans and my husband had the chicken fried steak that was so tender he didn't need a knife. Our granddaughter order banana pudding an almost cried taht we couldn't bring some home. So if you like good food stand in line it's worth the wait.

2  Thank GigiTX8