“FANTABULOUS!!!!”

The Funky Door Bistro Wine Room
Reserve with OpenTable
The Funky Door Bistro Wine Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 587 Restaurants in Lubbock
Cuisines: Wine Bar, Bar, European, Contemporary, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Frankford
Description: The atmosphere is beautiful and intriguing at the same time - splashes of unique colors and art engulf the interior to bring the patrons into a surrounding unlike any other. Our menu is unique in almost every way and we strive to surprise every customer on what their palette might enjoy while trying their next glass of wine. Our knowledgeable staff is always available for anyone with questions about wine typologies or even to just talk "shop" about our wine selection. One of the most unique experiences we offer to our guest is the option to use our self-serve Italian made Enomatics. We offer a selection of 48 wines on these tasting machines that can be dispensed at the correct temperature directly to customers through the use of a microchip card. Every wine on the system can be dispensed in 1.5oz, 3oz, or 6oz pours - giving our guests the chance to taste as many wines as they like without having to look at a single menu. Our goal is to help everyone experience the various types of wine from around the world and to never make anyone feel that you have to have a degree in enology to enjoy a great glass of wine.
Amarillo, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“FANTABULOUS!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

What a WONDERFUL atmosphere! This place is that kind of place where you can sit back, listen to live music in a wonderful ambiance with SPECTACULAR cuisine!!!! The waitress asked how my husband and I were enjoying our meal and all I could say was that I had never eaten anything better in my 44 years of life!! Next thing I know, their chef, Chef Colton Gallaway, came out to our table to introduce himself!! That has never happened to us before! Made us feel like we were VIP's!! My husband and I couldn't have praised him more!! He was a cutie pie too!!
So, needless to say, I would HIGHLY recommend this place!! Very romantic!! Very warm and inviting! LOVE LOVE LOVE this place!!!!!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank TexasMom711

Idalou, Texas
“it's Italian food mostly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

We meet friends for dinner on a weekend. The waitress was overwhelmed with the room she had to serve by herself. It was a long evening. She would only have two groups at our table for the whole night at the speed of service that was happening. That's not good tips for wait staff. Having to get drinks from the bar was a long time. The kitchen may have had issues. When she sensed our displeasure, management arrived and pitched in. Hey the salad was good,( bring your own dressing as theirs is homemade and oily) All people at our table said their food was delicious. My husband loved his steak.

• Visited October 2013
Texas USA
“Fun Time and Great Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

I wasn't sure when I looked up the name The Funky Door but it turned out to be a home run ! Nice setting with a unique way of wine service by choice. We had great service and a great dinner.
A bit noisy but good energy and a fun place.

• Visited June 2013
Truckee, California
“Sketchy food, expensive wine, nice environment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Went with a party of six from work. I had a filet. VERY good. But others who had pasta complained and made comments like the could have made better themselves. Sauce and pasta looked gummy. Wine concept is cool but very expensive. Fondue is mediocre. Melted cheese and chocolate tastes cheap and rubbery. Very UNimpresive. Beautifully decorated. Very good service. Wouldn't go back though. Too risky and way too expensive.

• Visited August 2013
Incline Village, Nevada
“Quite good food, wine overpriced...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Seven of us went to Funky Door for dinner on a Saturday evening. It was chosen by the four younger members of our group who were keen to try it. The atmosphere was pleasant but we were glad that we had specified a 'quiet' table as even then it was difficult to hold a conversation with anyone except the person immediatley next to you.

I felt the food pricing was very reasonable, but the wine by the bottle was very highly marked up. I have some of the wines in my cellar so am familiar with the retail pricing. The Enomatic wine dispenser is a novelty if you haven't come across it before which we all had in Australia and New Zealand as well as other parts of the US. However, it is a good way to taste various wines.

We ordered a couple of Cheese Sticks appetizers for the table. They were okay - not very interesting - a bit lacking in filling. I ordered a Garden Salad and Chicken Viognier. The salad was very ordinary; nothing to really recommend it. The Chicken Viognier had a wonderful sauce, but the dish was spoiled by the dry chicken breast. The spinach side dish I chose was a bit too oily but othewise alright. Two people ordered steaks - one was good the other just okay. The Squash Lasagna got high points. The younger members of our group ordered a Bananas Fosters and a Decadent Chocolate Fondue for four of them to share they and seemed to thoroughly enjoy them.

Overall, I would recommend this restaurant. Ask for a quiet table if you want to be able to talk to one another. Service was okay, nothing special. They were a bit slow bringing the bill. There's plenty of off street parking. Living on the west coast I've probably been spoiled with outstanding restaurants, but I think that for Lubbock this is quite a notch upwards.

• Visited July 2013

Been to The Funky Door Bistro Wine Room? Share your experiences!