“Decor is absolutely awful!”
Review of Gorditos

Gorditos
Ranked #140 of 611 Restaurants in Lubbock
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Great Mexican food at reasonable prices. The food is really good and the staff is always super.
Reviewed July 5, 2013

There are too many places in Lubbock with good Mexican food to have to endure the slow service and terrible atmosphere of Gordito's. That said, the food and prices are good, but every time I'm in here I can't concentrate on my experience because I'm mentally redecorating. I wish the owners had as much pride in how the place looks and their slow service as they do in the food. Any way the wasted area where the servers refill chips and fill drinks could be converted into the bar and the current bar - especially the creepy Beer refrigerators - could be removed and turned into usable dining space? How about converting the track lighting into drop down pendant lighting above each booth? I could go on all day... But it's easier to just go elsewhere.

1  Thank Ron U

Reviewed June 10, 2013

The wife and I love it. It is always busy, but not really ever a long wait. Reasonably priced and great food that is a little different for mexican food.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

The food has always been decent, but the service hit and misses. There seems to be a lot of employee turn-over, including with the floor managers. Their salsa is good. Sopapillas once resembled cinnamon toast, so we have not ordered them again. On our last visit our waitress said she had never heard of flat or stacked enchiladas, but that the kitchen could try to do it. And unlike at other Mexican food restaurants I always have to ask for lime for my Negra Modelo or Pacifica.

We watched an interesting thing on our last visit. The wall-mounted wooden box the menus are stored in had a broken bottom. We watched server after server drop menus in the box only to have them all fall on the floor. It became comical how often menus were dropped on the floor and picked up again. Our concern was that after the menus had been on the floor so many times, they were reused with customers without being wiped down or cleaned.

We eat here when we want quick, basic, and reasonably-priced Mexican, and we have never had to wait to be seated.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Good Food Bad Service.
I don't know what's going on there but since January their new wait staff seems to come and go. We have had 3 bad waitresses since January. With the newest being on Saturday March 2, 2013. We were seated and it took 10 minutes before our waiter even came to our table, I know this because I had received a text on my phone when we first sat down. Well he finally came to our table and took our drink order brought us our drinks and walked off leaving us waiting. We had to get his attention to even be able to order. Then when we finally got our dinner we didn't get all of it and had to get his attention because he was standing in the door way to the kitchen talking. We finally got everything and had to finish our meal with our already gone drinks that he saw sitting at the edge of the table empty. There are several times when we will mention Gordit'os as a suggestion then decide on something else because we are already dreading the waitstaff. You can have the best food around but if your waitstaff is pitiful it doesn't matter what your food taste like.

Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

I went through three little things of hot sauce while waiting for my food. Their hot sauce should deserve an award for being one of the best in Lubbock. Again, I really appreciate the large glasses and jumbo straws to match. Why can't the competition send a spy in and learn how it is done.

As usual, I got the Banda with zucchini and papas. This is an excellent choice for anyone wanting to try this place. By the way, the service has always been very good here.

Somebody in our party got the Monterey which has a relleno on it. Other restaurants give you a warmed up frozen relleno out of a box. This place fixes the real thing. There is no comparison.

1  Thank Dawveed

Been to Gorditos? Share your experiences!