“Cafe Anti-Family”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe J

Cafe J
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe J is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 587 Restaurants in Lubbock
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Columbus, Ohio
“Cafe Anti-Family”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2010

My family and I were in Lubbock for a business trip so we decided to head to nearby Cafe J based on reviews. It seemed lovely, but as we were about to sit down we were informed there are no high chairs or booster seats on the premises for our 7 month-old son. And I quote, "I'm sure your child is an angel but we've had too many screaming kids in here. You can hold him on your lap."

How insulting! So, we took our money and business to Abuelo's across town, where the service was friendly and very family-welcoming, and the food excellent.

4 Thank kateinohio

Lubbock, TX
“Aims high, but falls hilariously short”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2009

Cafe J thinks it knows what it's doing, but it really doesn't. The menu *sounds* like something you would find at a classy, creative restaurant, but in practice fails to provide food that is anywhere near the price. In addition to preparing appealing food, Cafe J would do well to hire some real help. The 4 times I've eaten there, I've been served by 22-year-old servers who didn't know the menu and who clearly had no experience. Parking is abundant.

If you're looking for well-cooked, classy, creative food, see if you can find the enigmatically named and bizarrely located Manna Bread and Wine. Don't stop at Cafe J.

Also, Cafe J is not a French restaurant. A real French restaurant would never spell it "crépes".

2 Thank tasdemer
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“food is ok. I've had a couple of great appetizers but the portion's are too small and way too expensive.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2009

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
lubbock, tx
“NOT WORTH IT! STAY AWAY!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2009

My fiance and I went to Cafe J, because we heard it was the most romantic place to go for a special dinner. We came about thirty minutes after the beginning of the dinner service. The waitress forgot we were there and let us sit for 20 minutes before allowing us to order. The first dish was made of jalapenos, which were mistakenly unseeded. Then I got the main dish... my spinach lasagna tasted dirty, like the ingredients weren't washed. It was filled with an overload of sage - didn't know sage was in lasagna! My fiance's mashed potatoes were obviously the "flake" kind, because we found a lump of crusty flakes in the pile. All this cost me $50. I am a lucky lady. STAY AWAY!!

2 Thank amlmezzo
Lubbock, TX
“Cafe J: Elegant, but eclectic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2009

Sunday brunch to die for.
Mimosas, Bloody Marys.
Creme Brulee French Toast.
Salmon Salad.
Eggs Benedict.
And the prices aren't bad for Sunday brunch. $14 to $17 per person.

Dinner gets a little pricey in the $18 to $28 range.
However, you can get a burger for $10 with polenta fries.

Cafe J is a place to go for special occasions.

Been to Cafe J? Share your experiences!