“Great food and value for foodies”
Review of Cafe J

Cafe J
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe J is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 590 Restaurants in Lubbock
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Great food and value for foodies”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Staying in Lubbock, our friends took us out to dinner here and we were pleasantly surprised. Most of us had a pork tenderloin dish which was not only visually attractive, but a gastronomical delight. Wine list is pretty darn good -better than I expected in Lubbock. Foodies and wine lovers will find things they like here, and the prices are quite reasonable. Service is pretty good. Do recommend if you are looking for something else other than the latest "house of red meat" in Lubbock. They definitely have healthier selections than red meat, including some great veggie rise dishes. But they do red meat well, also.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank HikeWineHotSprings

Lubbock, Texas
“Excellent food served by a knowledgeable waitstaff.”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Three of us enjoyed an evening of dinner and relaxation here. The menu is extensive but of front we were informed that several items were unavailable. The French Onion soup was out of this world with generous cheese broiled just right. French bread was fresh and warm. Salads, including a great Caesar, were crisp and three different entrees (one being salmon which was perfectly prepared) drew absolutely no criticism. Portions most adequate. The restaurant has a bar area off to the side which frequently has entertainment. Located near downtown Lubbock opposite the Texas Tech campus.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank GeorgeTX
“I've never been treated so poorly!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

If I could give negative stars for this establishment, I would. My party of 8 had an 11 am reservation for brunch yesterday. The reservation was made with excitement as it was to be a celebration of old friends reuniting and an upcoming wedding. Half of our party arrived at 11:04 after witnessing a car accident on 19th street secondary to the traffic lights being out. The hostess, Autree (sp?) (a very tall man dressed as a woman) exhaled when the girls checked in, tapped her watch and condescendingly said, "I was assured you'd be on time. We can't seat only 3 of 8." The girls apologized and explained that the lights on 19th were out and there was an accident. Also, one of the members of our party was a surgeon stuck at the hospital, and he was to give the rest of the party a ride. The hostess told the girls, "well, get comfortable because I'll probably have to give your table away if everyone isn't here by 11:15. We need the table anyway." At that point, the rest of the party showed up, myself included, and I was so appalled at the report of how the hostess treated my friends that I asked for the manager. The same woman came up to me and said she was the manager (which is a very sad fact seeing as how it seems she was training another young girl) and again tapped her watch stating that we were late. I explained the situation and she said "Well, I would have appreciated a phone call." We were addressed in such a condescending manner that I was in shock that this individual with absolutely no interpersonal skills is not only representing this establishment but is managing it!! I finally told her that we will just go somewhere else because I couldn't imagine paying money at a restaurant where the customers were treated with such disdain. Her response was "Good! I need the table anyway." My friends and I took our business over to Manna Bread and Wine and received excellent customer service from the hostess who had us seated within 15 minutes despite the crowd. The food was excellent and came with a smile, not a degrading scowl. My fiancé and I are long time residents of Lubbock and work at UMC. We are so disgusted by the service (or lack thereof) we received that we will never return to Cafe J's and will be passing along our experience to all of our friends.

• Visited October 2013
4 Thank Pink2424
Peachtree City, Georgia
“Good eating, broad selection for travelers”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Plenty of locals and travelers eating here. We were visiting just for the night and desperate for something fresh to eat. Our Cafe J waiter boasted about their steaks being a destination spot for, so we tried a couple of sirloins. Nice! Tender and flavorful. Ordered fresh steamed broccoli and a salad to go along with. Very good. The menu had it all including breakfast selections. Large casual dining areas and close to hotels. Service was right on, establishment clean, plenty of parking and not noisy, yet filled with diners for an evening.

• Visited September 2013
San Angelo, Texas
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We had dinner there and we were surprised of the excellence of service and the chefs quality of the food.the food was superb .apetizers and main courses were in a small portion style but they were tasteful and nicely presented.expensive.
I suggest to do some work to the decoration inside.the outside area need more work too.

• Visited August 2013

Been to Cafe J? Share your experiences!