“Not worth the money”
Review of Cafe J

Cafe J
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe J is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 619 Restaurants in Lubbock
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2011

They need a chef, not a cook. Terribly over priced.

1  Thank Leslieandmike

Reviewed October 28, 2010

The crowd is usually older (graduate students, adults, etc.) and you can expect to find food and service comparable to what one would expect in Austin, Houston, Dallas, etc. On the weekend the back bar becomes packed. The covered patio is nice year round. Bring back the burger with gouda and jalapeno bun though, Cafe J!

I would suggest the ahi tuna, the iceberg wedge, and any of their steaks or the pistachio pork tenderloin. Wine menu is excellent as well.

Reviewed June 20, 2010

My wife and I have been visiting Lubbock the past 4 years while my son is in graduate school there.
We have eaten at all the steakhouses and Italian restaurants. This time, on June 11, we decided to try one of his favorite restaurants Cafe J. The food was excellent, the service superb, the ambience delightful. I had the eggplant pasta as an entree. I could not believe the size of it for only $10. My son had the grilled quail. They were huge and extremely tender and tasty. My wife had the pistachio pork, again flavorful and generous portions. My son's friend had the tenderloin filet, cooked to perfection,medium-rare. The wine list was adequate and modest with most wines in the $20-$40 range. We chose a bottle of Greg Norman Shiraz for $35.The cooked on premises tiramisu, and creme brulee, was a fine finish to the meal.
This restaurant would easily be in the top 10 in Austin, Dallas, or Houston (our hometown).
Lubbock has a real pearl here.
Tanks, Jessica (our server), and Cafe J for a truly great dining experience. I wish we would have discovered you earlier!
We will definitely be back, as you are our number one choice for best restaurant in Lubbock.

2  Thank imssc1
Reviewed June 12, 2010

While Cafe J is a little on the pricey side, it's a really good place for a special evening out. They have food that other places in Lubbock just don't have and the atmosphere is nice too.

Reviewed May 12, 2010

My family and I were in Lubbock for a business trip so we decided to head to nearby Cafe J based on reviews. It seemed lovely, but as we were about to sit down we were informed there are no high chairs or booster seats on the premises for our 7 month-old son. And I quote, "I'm sure your child is an angel but we've had too many screaming kids in here. You can hold him on your lap."

How insulting! So, we took our money and business to Abuelo's across town, where the service was friendly and very family-welcoming, and the food excellent.

4  Thank kateinohio