“The Overton doesn't get enough credit”

Overton Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #9 of 69 Hotels in Lubbock
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Some of these reviews seem a little harsh. I, for one, had a wonderful experience with this hotel and would recommend it to anyone. My husband and I stayed here the weekend of our wedding and absolutely loved it. They were nice enough to give me an early check in on Saturday so my bridesmaids and I could get ready there before the wedding. When I showed up at the hotel, wedding dress in hand, my parents' credit card form hadn't been entered into the computer (simple human mistake). Instead of insisting that I provide another credit card in order to check in, they went ahead and checked me in anyway and said they would find the paperwork later. Basically they went off my word that the form had been turned in and gave me my room without securing a deposit. In my opinion, that's going way above and beyond.

The room itself was fabulous. I'm a sucker for down comforters and pillows, and this had both. My new hubby and I ordered room service the first night, as we didn't get a chance to eat at our wedding. The service was quick and easy, and the food was awesome. The Aged Gouda Mac and Cheese is to die for. It's true that none of the rooms have bathtubs, but I'm not a bathtub person anyway. Plus there's a hot tub outside if you just insist on having a place to relax. There's nothing better than a hot tub on a cool Lubbock night.

Overall the service was friendly, the room impeccable and the "classy western" atmosphere unique. So for those of you who are still conflicted over the reviews, just do what I did and ignore them. This is Lubbock, after all, and you have to keep that in mind. The very minor issues The Overton has aren't specific to this one hotel in particular. You will find them in any hotel and/or restaurant in Lubbock. A majority of the staff is made up of college students, and while most of them are competent, there will always be the one's who aren't. You should expect that in a college town. Give The Overton a break...it's the best hotel experience you'll have in Lubbock!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 5, 2010

The facility itself is great; new, nicely appointed rooms, quiet, etc. It has all the things a top hotel should have (great internet service, flat screen TV’s with lots of channels, business center, fitness center, etc.). The facility compares favorably to any 3 star (and some 4 star) hotels in major cities. We had a group rate of $89 which was a bargain for room of this quality.

The service across the board was poor. The staff tries hard but they appear to be poorly trained and poorly supervised. A few examples:

Reservations staff was very clumsy; unable to pull up our group code/pricing, unable to describe the options for upgrading to the preferred floor, etc.;

At check-in, we were assigned and entered a room that was already occupied. The front desk staff did not appear to understand how serious this was; when we called down, they asked us why we thought the room was occupied, as if we were mistaken. They then nonchalantly offered to give us a new room, almost like we were being picky about it. The security implications alone almost had us leave the hotel immediately;

Housekeeping needs to improve; our bed looked as though it had been straightened, not changed and re-made; the bathroom was not well cleaned;

We had breakfast in the restaurant and ordered off the menu rather than the buffet; it took over 20 minutes to get our food despite the fact that there were only 3 other tables in the entire restaurant. The service was not attentive (we had to ask for coffee refills several times). The food was just OK, certainly not a value.

It is a lovely facility but the service across the board was an amateur hour. 5 stars for the facility, 1 star for the service. I can only recommend it becasue it is has the nicest rooms that I know of in Lubbock.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 20, 2010

Our party of 4 dined at the 2322 Grill June 12. The place was nearly deserted at 7:30. We were the only ones with reservations! There may have been four or five other small tables of patrons. It took our waiter, Darin, 30 minutes to bring us a bottle of Prosecco. It finally came with our salads. Even though, I asked him to space out our salads and entrees, He delivered our entrees immediately after we had barely finished our salads!
Darin said the restaurant was known for their prime rib, so both my wife and I ordered the 10 and 12oz. The 10 oz. was the thickness of a pancake!!!!!!!!! It looked like minute made steak. I have NEVER seen a steak so thin, much less PRIME RIB! The 12oz was the thickness of 2 pancakes.
The only good thing about the restaurant was the Trio Tartar (though pricey for $23) as a starter.
I would definitely NOT go back to this restaurant.
I tried to place this comment under Trip Advisor Lubbock Restaurants, but it is not rated.
Now I know why.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 2, 2010

I just completed a one-night stay at the Overton hotel. The stay was one of the best experiences I have ever had at a hotel.

Check-in took less than two minutes. The front-desk agent was extremely courteous and explained everything I needed to know about the room and floor I was on. Parking is complimentary for hotel guests, but according to the literature in the room, Valet Parking is available for $4 a night.

The 14th floor offered a great view of the Texas Tech Campus. The room was well-kept and featured a wonderful West Texas decor. The mini-fridge came in handy. The satellite television featured popular channels, as well as a few channels in High Definition. The bathroom had plenty of bath products to go around. The shower experience was good, except for the pooling that took place on the sides of the area. The bed was very comfortable. I was out like a light in a matter of minutes!

The 13th, 14th, and 15th floors are considered Preferred Floors, which are only accessible via a properly coded room key. The Club Lounge is located on the 14th floor. Complimentary wine, beer, and appetizers are available from 5:30 - 7 at night. The continental breakfast is available from 6:30 - 10 in the morning. The breakfast featured bagels, toast, muffins, a few selections of fruit, and smoked salmon. The lounge has a computer, a television, and a few board games to enjoy.

Rooms on the Preferred Floors automatically receive a nightly turndown service. When I arrived back at the hotel, the sheets were pulled back, the night lights next to the bed were turned on, and a plate of oatmeal raisin cookies was left on the nightstand. Very nice touch!!

I will be staying at the Overton again in the future. The hotel has so many great features that it will take a person a few nights to enjoy them all thoroughly. The staff knew how to get the job done. The Preferred Levels give the guest a little bit of the VIP treatment at a reasonable price. Bravo and Encore to Overton!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2010

Modern amenities; very large shower; infused with moisture since the landscape is arid

Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2010

My husband & I stayed one night at the Overton Hotel in February 2010. The check in person was efficient, but not overly friendly. The rooms were standard size hotel rooms, with higher end decorations and pillows. There was not a bathtub, but instead a gigantic shower, which we both thought was great. There was a large desk area across the window, which would be nice for business travelers. The flat screen tv was nice, and the room also had a mini-fridge. The swimming pool was closed due to the season. I did not see a hot tub. There was a Keurig coffee maker in the room with a couple of coffe pods for single cups. The restaurant looked overpriced, and we did not eat there or try room service. The location was great since we were visiting our son, who is a student at Texas Tech. It is directly across from the football stadium, and within walking distance of several restaurants. (As a side note, I was amused that the City of Lubbock put a traffic circle in front of the hotel).
I was not wowed by the Overton, and think it's prices are a bit high for Lubbock. We had a pleasant stay with no inconveniences.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Kerrinhp
Reviewed February 16, 2010

I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN. PLEASE READ MY ENTIRE REVIEW BEFORE BOOKING A ROOM HERE. I DON'T WANT ANYONE ELSE TO GET RIPPED OFF BY THIS HOTEL. My husband and I went there for his work and they picked up the bill on the room and my account has been charged TWICE for it. The first time they sent a release of funds letter to my bank saying that the funds was NOT to come out of my account and then almost two weeks after we had stayed there my account got charged again after they had released their hold on my funds and said that the room was taken care of by my husbands boss. To me that means that they held on to my account number and typed it in manually when they recharged my account again. I thought when I called them on it the first time that it was taken care of and now they are saying that they don't have any notes on my account from when I stayed there saying anything that they had stated the first time. They are saying it is legal to charge my account once they have released the hold saying that I am NOT to be charged for the room. Now that this has happened I have had to have my card cancelled because I am not going to go though this weekly with them and I am affraid they are hanging on to bank account number and charging them WITHOUT any approval from the card holder. I would not recommend anyone staying at this hotel unless you would like for them to take advantage of you and your bank account. The manager that I spoke with was putting it off on other people and saying she will have to speak with them and of course they are out of the office at the time I was trying to get this amount taken off my bank account. I WILL NEVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL AGAIN AND I DON'T RECOMMEND ANYONE ELSE STAY HERE EITHER. THEY ARE RUDE AND WAY OVER PRICED FOR THERE ROOMS ANYWAYS. SERVICE IS MORE IMPORTANT TO ME THEN MONEY BUT THESE PEOPLE ARE THE RUDEST PEOPLE I HAVE EVER MEET IN MY LIFE.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business