“Good hotel”

Overton Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #9 of 69 Hotels in Lubbock
Reviewed August 23, 2011

I give this hotel a good rating. On the plus side:
- clean rooms with the exception of some of that pink shower mold stuff around the edges.
- very nice, comfy beds and pillows
- easy to access intenet with adequate speed.
- nice, fluffy shower towels that appear to be new.
- prompt shuttle ride from the airport, though most of the seat belts in the van are broken.

On the negative side:
- long walk from parking to entrance
- we only tried breakfast at the restaurant, but was told there would be 15 min wait for a table. There were many open tables, but they were short wait staff. We ate elsewhere.

I am not really big on front desk service and smiles as long as everything is accurate. We had no problems.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed August 22, 2011

We spent two nights at the Overton so as to be close to campus for having early access to the opening of my son's assigned dormitory on Saturday morning. The Overton made that weekend experience very nice, easy, comfortable, and enjoyable. Everyone at the hotel was more than friendly. I will be sure to make The Overton my destination the next time I'm back in Lubbock.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Jane W
Reviewed August 20, 2011

My husband and I had a wonderful time visiting Lubbock (Texas Tech, RN-BSN orientation) for three days and we especially had a great time at the Overton hotel. I am not sure why some guests have negative experiences? BUT we believe how you treat people, especially when dealing with customer service, you will receive the same service back. All staff (front desk, room service, bar, valet, housekeeping) at the Overton Hotel are superb, our room (1228, king bed) was beautiful/clean, esp. the view of Texas Tech campus. Overton Hotel is truly a wonderful hotel, from the swimming pool/hot tub (beautiful area to relax in), the Overton bar is a welcoming area, we took our cocktails outdoors to the inviting patio seating area, so relaxing, night stars. My husband visited the Rawls golf course, he had a great time, beautiful course while I was attending orientation. Several restaurants within walking distance, very safe area. We are especially looking forward to visiting next May for graduation (already have my rooms booked), because we know we will have an awesome experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Judy_scott_2004
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We were impressed with the overall appearance of the hotel but the staff stole the show :-) They were genuinely friendly and helpful. Rooms are spacious, comfortable, and were equipped with Keurig coffee makers and a mini 'frig :-) Should we find ourselves back in Lubbock, we will definitely plan to stay at the Overton Hotel again.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank SFB17
Reviewed August 17, 2011

The front desk staff was very incompatible. I arrived at the front desk and they kept me waiting for 10-15 mins although there was no line. I had requested for king bed, they checked me into a room with 2 double beds. I came back at front desk, said that I had booked a room with king bed, they said that they have no rooms available with king beds. There was another guy who was booked for 2 beds and they were able to accomodate him and give him a king bed. I asked them to give me a room with king bed with less noise. They gave me a room across ice machine which was very noisy. Later on I was told that I had booked a room with 2 beds with handicapped room, I re-confirmed that my travel department booked the room with king bed for $ 89. They said that my rate was $ 99. After changing rooms 3 times they realized that they had checked me in under some other person's name with the same last name. I would have been charged twice had that not been clarified.

Highly incompetent staff.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I recently stayed here after my wedding. They were nice but the level of service was just not as good as you would expect. They had my room type (2 double bed) was not correct when I got there. As I said before wedding night. Not only did the person at the front desk not confirm the room type (person well aware that it was my wedding night), they had the wrong information in the system. The process was very difficult in order to correct the room. I had to literally pull out my computer and pull up the email confirmation that had the room type on it inorder to get it corrected. They also wanted to charge me EXTRA for it. The other issue was I ordered a bottle of champagne for the room for when we got back. I told them when I was going to be back and they were supposed to put it on ICE. They put i on ice but by the time we got back the water was melted and luke warm. The facilities are rooms are very nice. Everything is new and up to date. The service is seriously lacking for a nice hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert J
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We had a wonderful weekend and everyone was very friendly and helpful. Great staff and very comfortable rooms.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business