“Nice Stay - Pool was FREEZING”

Overton Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #7 of 68 Hotels in Lubbock
Texas
“Nice Stay - Pool was FREEZING”
Reviewed May 30, 2011

My husband and I stayed two nights, including one night with our young children. The rooms are nice but nothing spectacular. I enjoyed the Keurig coffee maker. The shower only (no tub) was a little inconvenient for the kids, but we knew that would be the situation. The beds were pretty soft and we slept well. The air conditioner did not seem to work extremely well in the 100F weather. We set it on 63 and it never got cool in our room. One minor complaint was that the blackout shades didn't cover the entire window, so the sun was streaming in, directly into my eyes, at 6:30 am.

We did not try the restaurant or room service because hotel food generally disappoints and we would rather just eat somewhere else.

One reason we brought our kids to the Overton was for the pool. It was 100 degrees daily, but the pool was FREEZING. Our kids couldn't even stand it! The pool is only in the sun in the morning and is shaded by the hotel in the afternoon, so never warms up. My husband took the kids in the hot tub, but the water was murky and green so I didn't venture in. Disgusting!

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. We did get a good deal by booking at an online travel site. I wouldn't pay $150+ for this hotel.

1 Thank kristennetsirk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Haven't eaten at the Overton restaurant since its debut two years ago, when the food was very decent. Sadly, can't say the same about our dinner last night. To start, the service was less than mediocre. Our server did not even greet us with a "Hello folks" or anything. similar. The best thing about the service overall was when I was served a sangiovese at the bar that tasted like it had been open for two years, the bartender quickly replaced it. Back to the food: a basket of cornbread was cold, dry, and crumbly. My daughter pointed out that at least the pieces of cornbread followed the hotel's western theme, being shaped like a cactus. I retorted that I couldn't tell, because it all shattered into crumbs when you tried to pluck a piece from the basket. They did microwave it for us though. (Still inedible.) The crab cakes appetizer was barely warm and tasted like pickles, as did the very strangely-colored mustard-yellow sauce on my barely-warm steak oscar (bernaise? no way). Fortunately, there was only about a teaspoon of the stuff so it was easy to scrape off. Dill pickles do NOT belong in crab cakes or in bernaise sauce. And yes, I can tell the difference between dillweed and dill pickles. The risotto with my steak was tasty, but again . . . barely warm, and if it contained smoked gouda, I'll eat my hat. Husband's lamb chops were beautiful; the uber-bland instant mashed potatoes were cold. Daughter's chicken and grits were okay. She couldn't identify any of the four cheese that the grits supposedly contained. Since we were one of only three tables, both of which left while we were there, "too busy" won't suffice as an excuse for the poor quality of our dinner.

Overton people, if you're reading this: bread is cheap. You really don't save much in food cost by serving the three-day-old stuff. Also, cold cornbread, appetizers, and side dishes overshadow anything that might be right about the rest of a meal. In addition, since this is supposedly the best hotel in Lubbock, train your staff to have some class. The bartender, passing through the restaurant on her way to the bar, didn't even try to hide the fact that she was stuffing food in her mouth.

One last thing: our room's AC never got our room cooled down at night. It was HOT.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
JoshHenegar, Manager at Overton Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Thank you for your review and useful feedback. First, let me sincerely apologize on behalf of our entire team. Your experience is definitely not the standard we strive for.

Please know that while we understand the challenges in our restaurant, we are working diligently to improve all around, including our recent additions of a new Food & Beverage Director and new Sous Chef.

We are very excited about the changes coming up and look forward to taking great care of you and your family. Thanks again.
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We came in for the Sugarland concert and the location if the hotel us great! Had dinner at the restaurant and it was excellent. The room was nice and comfortable. We stayed on the preferred level and the view of Texas tech is amazing. The only complaint that I have is that both floors of the preferred level had a strange odor. It was kind of a fishy smell. Fix the smell and I would give you a total thumbs up!

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Hnraney
Burleson, Texas
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Our group paid extra for the breakfast buffet provided on the 14th floor. We were quite dissapointed in the selection of food and the service. The main course was pre-wrapped breakfast burritos. They ran out of coffee, ran out of fruit, even ran out of saucers and napkins. Staff was intermittently available and most guests were ransacking the cabinets themselves looking for utensils, plates, and napkins. The complimentary breakfast's offered at Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn's are far superior. We ate at the I-hop down the street on the second morning!

Biggest disappointment was the 2322 restaurant for dinner. The restaurant manager refused to push our reservation back one hour when our afternoon event (commencement excercises at Texas Tech) went long. However, the restaurant was at most only a third full during the entire time we were there. Their inflexibility was appauling and inexcusable since they had plenty of table space available later in the evening.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 20, 2011

I was delighted to see such a nice hotel in Lubbock since I had not seen anything of this caliber when I last traveled there 4 years ago. The reception was friendly and knowledgeable. The room itself was very spacious and did have a nice view on the 14th floor. The bathroom amenities were very nice and the bed itself was very comfortable. The only truly disappointing thing about the stay was the breakfast. I had upgraded to the "exclusive" 14th floor to get the breakfast the next day for the 2 rooms I got. The breakfast was horrible! For the price I paid (roughly $20/breakfast) I expect so much more. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the following night which had a much better breakfast. This place needs to have a truly continental break AT THE MINIMUM if not more. The dry sausage biscuits were terrible and besides that, there wasn't much of a choice. I'd recommend staying here for the room, but skip upgrading your room if it is only for the breakfast. You're better off getting it elsewhere.

3 Thank George546
JoshHenegar, Manager at Overton Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 23, 2011
Thanks for the review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay, but regret your disappointment with our Preferred Level. This is feedback that we will be using to get better.

Thank you again.
Lubbock Texas, USA
Reviewed May 12, 2011

I have stayed in other hotels that have been better. If this is supposed to be Lubbock's best hotel then that is very disappointing. Lubbock has a LOT nicer hotels than this. Room was average, well there was no listings for the TV channels, no microwave, room/concierge service was poor (I never received the things that I asked for). They have a pool and I was expecting an indoor pool from this hotel, but it was outside and nothing fancy about it at all, not that many chairs though and the pool was not heated. The premium room that includes breakfast was NOT in the main restaurant, which I was not informed of upon check-in and the buffet breakfast is $13/per, but i did check out the breakfast that I was supposed to have and it was slightly more than is offered for a standard hotel this one just included breakfast burritos, oatmeal, fruit, cereal and bagels. overall I was pretty disappointed with this hotel, it was just not what I expected at all.

Room Tip: go to another hotel like embassy suites
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
JoshHenegar, Manager at Overton Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
Thank you for your review. We pride ourselves on providing excellent accommodations and service for each of our guests. I'm sorry we did not meet your expectations and hope we can earn your business back.

Thanks again.
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed May 12, 2011

The walls were paper thin. By 5am, I could hear three different alarm clocks sounding in the area, and by 6:45, I could hear tv's, showers, toilets, etc. When I am staying in a hotel (or anywhere), I'd rather not hear someone two doors down flush. The coffee was also horrible...and desparately needed after the poor sleep. The comfortor also had some disusting brown stain on it that I only noticed upon waking, and the carpet was "crusty" in places--I kept shoes on.

But, if you don't like coffee, sleep like the dead and/or have hearing problems, and thoroughly inspect the bedding, the beds were comfortable, and there were multiple pillow options and it was in a good location. It was also a good looking hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank LaurenLiz
JoshHenegar, Manager at Overton Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 13, 2011
Thank you for the feedback. Obviously, we are very concerned about the issues you had and will use it as a training opportunity to get better.

We look forward to earning your business next time. Thanks again.