“Not going back!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: 1-806-747-ruby (7829)
Reviewed November 13, 2010

Ruby Tequila's is not what it used to be! The restaurant is clean and well decorated, but that's where the good part ends. The quality of the food has gone downhill! The people at the table next to us waited 45 minutes to get their food. We only waited 30 minutes for ours. When we finally got it, it was not worth eating! Next time we are in Lubbock, we will eat somewhere else for sure!

Reviewed December 6, 2009

Went to the one on Indiana at 10:50 and they refused to serve us because it was too late. My girlfriend and I drove all the way across town just to go there and we were refused service because it was 10 minutes before quitting time...please! SInce when does a business close the doors at 10 minutes prior to the posted closing time. What sorry management! Will NEVER go there again.

Reviewed October 27, 2009

I've finally gotten around to writing about a place that we visit every time we go to Lubbock (various locations). Now I hear they're open in Houston too. Lucky Houston!

Every visit to Ruby's has been great. The food is always fresh, well prepared and delicious. This is not your run-of-the-mill TexMex and people who have limited exposure to that type of cuisine will likely not appreciate how good this really is. If I were to name another restaurant on a par with Ruby's it would be Papasito's. Forget Ninfa's, El Chico's and any number of other cafe style TexMex restaurants. Ruby leaves them all behind.

Even though their prices seem a tad high when compared to lower-level restaurants of the same type, we personally recommend the fajitas and steaks. We admit to having a soft spot for the tamales and enchiladas too. Don't see what you want on the menu? Simply ask. The kitchen is usually ready and waiting to serve you exactly what you want.

The as-you-need-us style of the friendly servers is also appreciated. They seem always to be there when you need them, but quietly step away so you don't feel someone is eyeing you or hovering around.

The decor is fun and funky. The relaxed atmosphere and lay out seems well thought out and can accommodate anything from a quiet corner for couples to lots of patio room for watching the local game or sitting around the fire.

If you haven't visited yet - go!

1  Thank TopazMonkey
Reviewed September 30, 2009

This is not a "bad" restaurant. I just happened to find it a little bit disappointing. The food just lacked that special kick that makes it exceptional. It all had just a bit of a bland taste to it. Also, it is grossly overpriced. Most of the popular meals on the menu are $9.99 to $12.99 which is high for what you get. Maybe the high cost set my expectations too high. Regardless of price, the food was nothing more than mediocre.

The service was reasonably good. No serious complaints there.
Good location.

But it all comes back to the food. I have had much better Mexican food in Lubbock. Go elsewhere, save some money, and have a much better meal. Sorry Charlie, this place disappoints!

Reviewed September 23, 2009

Visited my daughter at Texas Tech and went here to eat on Saturday night (Tech vs UT @ Austin). Arrived about 5 minutes before the game was to begin. Crowd was small, but enthusiastic to watch the game on the many TVs. Even with all the excitement the servers were great. We started with the queso dip and it was delicious, as was the seasoned chips and salsa. Our server recommended the Sunset Beef Fajita Burrito with Queso Inferno (hint: it does have a bit of spice!). I ordered it with rice and the recommended Chile Smashed Potatoes (also spicy). Food was plentiful and delicious. Another of my party ordered the Fajita Taco Salad and it arrived with the fajita meat on a separate grill, still sizzling. She declared it to be delicious. One person asked for a shrimp quesadilla. While not on the menu, they were glad to prepare it for him. We ate and stayed a little longer watching some of the game and were never rushed to leave. The crowd (mostly students) was also very well behaved. Restrooms were also very clean. Would definitely eat here again!