“Little or no interest”

Woodrow House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Lubbock B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Arrived late afternoon and the lady was busy . She rushed us out the back to our suite which I might add is lovely but no instructions on anything. We have never seen a Murphy bed so we were lucky to find it! They forgot to give us the code for the front door..... I was sick the next morning and didn't go to breakfast ..... No enquiries about my health. I realise they don't have to do this but it did seem rather uncaring. We saw others being shown around in the next afternoon as if they were family. We felt quite outcast maybe because we were Australian to Americans. We put a no disturb sign on the door so for three nights we didn't cause any work for anyone. The suite has a full kitchen but doesn't seem to have pots and pans to cook with (strange) and there was dirt, hair and dust under the lounge which we had to move back to be able to watch the television so obviously only a surface clean has been done. So although the accommodation is nice, there are faults and we were not made to feel welcome at all.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jan T
Dawn F, Owner at Woodrow House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

We greatly appreciate all reviews we get. Customer feedback is very important to us. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our service and who better to help than guests that have actually stayed with us! This particular couple politely answered my questions and inquiries, but never really interacted with us or carried on any conversations with us. As an innkeeper, our job is to make guests feel welcome without being invasive. We have to rely on communication with our guests, both verbal and non-verbal. Since they were not particularly chatty, and appeared exhausted, and put their do not disturb sign on the door both nights, I assumed they wanted to be left alone. I did ask the gentleman the first morning at breakfast if his wife would be coming to breakfast and he said she would not be eating breakfast. He never mentioned that she was feeling ill. Had I known, I would have offered to help in any way I could. I chatted with both of them at breakfast the second morning, again they were politely answering my questions, but did not expand the conversation. We do not give out the code to the main house to guests that are staying in the suites above the Carriage House. They have their own code to their own private entrance. The pots and pans in the suites are located in the drawer below the oven. There is a binder in all the rooms explaining where things are located and is full of lots of B&B and city visitor information. I am glad they brought to our attention the dust under the couch, because that should not have been overlooked. This has been addressed with our housekeeping staff. We were told this was the end of a 10 week trip for this couple so I am sure they were tired. I regret that I was not able to meet their needs in a satisfactory way.

There are newer reviews for Woodrow House Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Such a friendly and welcoming family. We had a fantastic time in the caboose, although it was at bit tight getting around the bed. We thought it perhaps would be noisy (earplugs on nightstand), but so good we missed the wonderful breakfast that would have awaited us.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VLSA11
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed here on our wedding night and were returning for our first anniversary. The honeymoon sweet is amazing and Dawn was so helpful in making this a great suprise for my husband. Had the best breakfast ever! Wish I would have asked for Dawn's sweet potato pancake mix recipe. Will be back next year for sure if not sooner!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Becky A
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The Woodrow House was an excellent place to stay. The staff was courteous, friendly and had great customer service. They offer lots of snacks, tea, coffee, freshly baked cookies at any time of day and night...and have an old fashioned coke machine in back. All of this is included in the price of your room. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lone Star room, which had a king sized bed and a fold out couch, easily sleeping 3...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Teresa D
Reviewed March 4, 2013

The Woodrow House is conveniently located across the street from the Texas Tech University campus. Within a couple of blocks there is a Bank of America and eating establishments. We chose to stay in the caboose located behind the main house. It is painted as a Santa Fe caboose; however, it was originally a Burlington Northern caboose. The caboose had all the ammenities required for an enjoyable stay complete with television, sink, refrigerator, coffee pot, and homemade cookies. I sat in the cupola and was able to watch traffic and students walking to and from the campus. The bed was comfortable but the area was a bit tight but we made it work even though my husband had a C-pap machine. The breakfast was absolutely delicious. I highly recommend the Woodrow house whether you stay in the caboose or not.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank agertojl
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is the most awesome place to stay. We were visiting Lubbock for my daughter's Texas tech college visit. This was convenient - right across the street from Texas Tech. We stayed in the Lone Star room. This is a comfy and cozy room. Dawn and David are very gracious hosts. They made us feel very welcome and were concerned about our comfort and they gave us the most scrumptious breakfast! We will definitely stay again! Stephanie, Chris and Brii Brooks

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Stephanie B
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The room was fine. The breakfast was not as good as at other B & Bs. It was similar to a La Quinta upgrade with a decent egg and sausage casserole that was served cafeteria style. I expect a better breakfast when paying $120 a night.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family