“You ought to believe the customer”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Lubbock
Ranked #8 of 68 Hotels in Lubbock
Wells, United Kingdom
“You ought to believe the customer”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We booked two rooms for two couples over the net on a web accommodation service. The reservations clerk was waiting for us although we had a torrid time trying to find the hotel using SatNav. It was a combination of the new road system and the address not being recognised by SatNav, so much that we had to ring the hotel for an alternative address and directions.

On reaching our rooms our key card worked, but our friend's did not so I went back to reception to report the problem and get new cards or at least to get them re-programmed. Again the key card did not work and one of the staff could only get in using his pass key. So, wanting to get things done we put all the luggage in our room and returned to reception where they assured us the problem would be sorted on our return.

This was not the case. Armed with new keys they again failed to open the door and our friends were re-loacated to another floor. Would it have been too much to actually check they keys before handing them back to a customer given the frequency of the failure?

The rooms were very nicely appointed and the beds very comfortable but poor marks to the management who seemed not to believe our story and check that the problem was rectified.

Breakfast was standard fare but late arriving in the morning - about 10-15 minutes after the scheduled start time.

Overall mixed results, we are returning in a few weeks, let's see if things have improved any.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank UKX80
jballard1, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Lubbock, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
I certainly apologize for the problems you encountered during your last stay.

It is true that the new freeway, Marsha Sharp, has played a bit of havoc with some GPS systems. I am told that until the Freeway is updated to all GPS systems, it will continue to mislead traveler. I find this truly unfortunate and wish we could speed up the process. I hope our staff was able to give you clearer directions.

We have seen a significant increase in occupancy over the last month and we are staffing up to assist with this situation. We prefer not to have our guests wait for their room upon arrival and do our absolute best to get our rooms ready for 3pm check in. I apologize you had to wait a bit and request additional items for your room.

We are working on the situation with the key cards. It seems that our last order of key cards is not coding well and have ordered a new batch. I apologize that this issue caused an inconvenience for your and your party.

We look forward to your return and if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

Jutea Ballard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Childress, Texas
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I had book a room online I thought, however when I checked in there was no reservation. Apparently I forgot to hit the save button, who knows for sure, anyway Anthony the desk clerk gave me a room at the same rate I was quoted. I was taking my mom to Lubbock for a Dr. appt to schedule her back surg. I was so glad they took care of my apparent mistake and thereby made my stay so much easier and less stressful. The room was great and very comfortable. Thanks for making the trip easier and peaceful.

Room Tip: Make sure you hit the save button so that your room is ready for you. They gave me the same room I...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
jballard1, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Lubbock, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Thank you for the nice review. I am certainly glad we were able to accomodate you upon arrival. Should you wish to visit again, please do not hesitate to call us directly for reservations.

Colorado
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Very close to Texas Tech. I felt like I was staying in an apartment vs. a hotel room. It was very spacious which was nice, since there were four of us. The complimentary breakfast was just OK. My son gave up on trying to access the wi-fi, but they have a couple of computers on the second floor that can be used. I definitely would stay here again because of the nice rooms.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Back_in_the_snow
Thank you for the kind review and we look forward to your next visit.

If there is anything we can assist with please do not hesitate to ask.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I stayed for three nights and I was somewhat satisfied with my stay. The rooms were nicely decorated and managed to feel like a home away from home. The bed was so comfortable that everytime we left the room to do something, we looked forward to coming back to the suite to relax. The room was also clean upon inspection and I loved the mini frig, microwave and dishwasher. There was a huge lit sign outside my window but the curtains hid it where it didn't interupt my sleep and I liked how well the furnace worked going from cool ot warm based on how we were feeling.

I did not like that the room cleaning service did not clean or come to the room at all. I asked the cleaning lady in the hall about coming to provide more towels and pick up the used ones and she stated that someone else was supposed to come by and do it. Now, she was only three doors down and of course, no one came by. I left my door ajar for three hours. Finally I had to call the front desk about fresh towels and had to go to the front desk to get them. Also the heated indoor pool was not heated at all. The water was cold and I had to stand there to wait for it to feel warm. The lights went off in the whole hotel twice, both times lasting about two hours. The room was cold during that time and no one seemed to know what the issue was since the weather was light rain and cloudy. The first time there was an outage, luckily I was sleep and then a few hours later, it happened again. I'm not sure I would stay here again. The cost was affordable but I may spend a bit more to stay at a smoother running hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michelle L
jballard1, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Lubbock, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Thank you for your review. I certainly apologize for the housekeeping staff not attending your room as requested and will look into that personally.

Unfortunately there were a few power outages in the area last week. Lubbock Power & Light did not give us an explaination, just that the area was experiencing some trouble. This may be the reason the pool chilled down. Many items required re-sets due to the power outages and with repeated power outages that day, it was a challenge making sure everything was repeatedly re-set. I'm sorry this contributed to your discomfort during your stay.

Buda, Texas
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Convenient to Tech and Lubbock isn't very big so it actually doesn't take long to get anywhere! It is just down the street from Tech which makes it great for a quick visit to the campus. The breakfast was decent, the room spacious and clean, and overall nothing wrong. I don't know that you can beat it for the price. The only meal we ate away from campus was at Chipotle and well, it's Chipotle. There is a great froyo place though called Spoonful that is worth a visit.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
austin, tx
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Stayed here while my daughter was visiting Texas Tech. Great location for the Tech campus. Room was clean and very comfortable. Front desk had great food suggestions. Breakfast was very nice. Will definitely stay here again, especially if daughter decides to go to Tech. Go eat at Jazz Cajun Restaurant. Great meal for the price!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LisamcAustin
jballard1, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Lubbock, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Thank you for your review. I will be sure to share it with my staff.

Edinburg, Texas, United States
Reviewed February 1, 2012

I was absolutely horrified to find my nicely made bed with blood stained sheets just 5 min from checking in! When I brought this up to the manager she didn't offer to comp me but instead was really quick to cancel my reservation. I wouldnt have stayed anyways. So all I can say is YUCK and DON'T STAY HERE!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Crystal G
jballard1, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Lubbock, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
I certainly apologize for your experience at our property. Thank you for your comments and I will address your review with my housekeeping manager and front office manager.