“Appalling Customer Service”

Ranked #8 of 68 Hotels in Lubbock
Lubbock, Texas
“Appalling Customer Service”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

The people working at the desk on Friday, 11/25 were extremely rude. Kids were jumping off of the hot tub, into the pool, and the man working behind the desk's response "They paid, too." There were no adults supervising the kids and one of the kids from this group jumped and landed on my husband's head. One of those kids could have been killed, diving into a 3 foot pool. The man refused to give me my money back. Then, when we checked out, there were $22 worth of drinks charged to our room that we did not order. The hotel was filthy, as well. A good friend of ours partly owns the hotel and I will certainly give him a call tomorrow. I was appalled at the lack of customer service and embarrassed for the city of Lubbock. I would really like my money back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Kimberlyjc
jballard1, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Lubbock, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Thank you for your comments. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that you expected.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel for your experience at the pool and with the staff. I am unsure why parents would not be supervising their children and it clearly shows a lack of regard for fellow guests. Our standard procedure is for the hotel employee to speak with the unruly persons and request they have consideration for not only the pool rules but also for the other guests. It appears from yor comments this did not happen and I will certainly take this opportunity to revisit policies and proper guest servicing with my staff.

It would be helpful for me to know which staff members you interacted with that I may also address them individually about your experience and take corrective actions. Please feel free to contact me directly that I may get more details on your stay.

Again, I apologize for your experience and hope that your next visit to Lubbock is enjoyable.

Jutea Ballard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Our suite was beautiful: modern, spacious, with a comfortable bed and many pillows. Our service was . . . beyond non-existent. After our first night, despite leaving our room at 9:30 a.m., we returned in the late evening to find our room had not been cleaned. Granted it was Thanksgiving, but there's a reason some places CLOSE on Thanksgiving when they can't give proper service, esp. in the hotel/restaurant industry. Our second morning, in spite of having the Do Not Disturb sign on our door, maids knocked TWICE before the 11 am checkout time trying to get us to leave. Twice!

Other problems: the blinds did not block out the very annoying huge, digital billboard with constantly changing neon-bright ads that was mere yards from our window. Also, we brought food back to our room but there were no dishes or silverware in the kitchen. Yes, our suite had a kitchen--and dishwashing soap--but not one single fork. We called the front desk but they said they didn't have any. Really? At a place where every room is a suite with kitchenettes?

So when we left, we had run out of shampoo, towels, and the trash was overflowing. Will we get any kind of refund? Of course not. At least when you get bad service in some restaurants they'll comp your dessert.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank HillCountryDiner
jballard1, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Lubbock, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
I would like to apologize for the inconviences you experienced during your stay.

We set our specific policies for housekeeping for the holidays and I am unsure why your needs were not attended to. The housekeeping manager and I will have a discussion about what occurred. In addition, it is never acceptable for a housekeeper to repetedly knock on a room that has a do not disturb sign on the door and I will certainly address this as well.

It is true that our Studio Suites do not come furnished with kitchen items. This is a basic brand standard and I hope to revise in the near furture.

The Neon Sign you refer to is an unfortunate eye sore that we do not own and is a constant item of complaint. In 2012, we plan on having all window treatments replaced with more of a "black out" type shade. Hopefully this will solve our issues with the brighness of the sign.

We appreciate your comments and I look at every one of them, positive or negative, as an opportunity to improve services and change policies.

Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I visited Lubbock for business in late January. Hawthorn Suites were offering a great price so I decided to give it a try. After an interesting experience with a new front desk employee I was very excited to relax.The rooms at this hotel are huge! I felt like I was in a small apartment. The room was very tastefully decorated with nice furniture, a super comfy bed, flat screen t.v., and a nicely done bathroom. Unfortunately I had a giant LCD billboard located directly outside my window on the hotel property. How this ever was overlooked I will never understand. After turning the lights out to go to bed, this sign became very noticeable. Even with this annoyance, I would still stay at thei property again. Their were just too many good things to let the sign ruin this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to be in an area away from the huge LCD billboard!
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the nice review. It is always a pleasure to know that our staff has taken care of guest needs in a prompt fashion.

We look forward to your return.

Georgetown, Texas
Reviewed October 30, 2011

We stayed here one night on a trip from Austin/Georgetown to Santa Fe and were completely satisfied with our room and the level of service we experienced. Since we got a very good rate on an internet special, we were a bit apprehensive but our LARGE room, comfortable bed, and, surprise, the happy hour with two free drinks in their attractive bar, left us feeling that we had gotten a great deal. Problems with our door key were quickly addressed by a friendly staff. We'd certainly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
El Paso, Texas, United States
Reviewed October 28, 2011

This hotel was beyond great! They were AWESOME! The hotel was extremely well maintained, well organized and it was a pleasure to saty in. The room i stayed in, single-king suite was great! It felt like an appartment or condo! It was beautifully kept, and decorated! One of the best rooms I've stayed in so far. The bed was comfortable and clean as was the entire room. The only draw-back as the cooling system. It was a bit noisy, and cumberson to use. But this is generally the case with all hotels, you'd think some company woould design a better system for hotels?! :-) The front desk staff as well as the bar staff were AWESOME too! Very friendly, helpful and accommodating. Overall, my stay was fantastic. I highly recommend this location! ENJOY!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
jballard1, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Lubbock, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Thank you very much for your comments on our hotel. It is always nice when our guests are happy with their stay and reflect that in a review.

Please stay with us again if you are in the area. It is our pleasure to serve you.

Hobbs, NM
Reviewed October 24, 2011

The Hawthorn Inn and Suites is a four-storied, *** property located in a professional area with medical facilities nearby. The Covenant Hospital is a few blocks away; a Surgi-Center is across the street; and a medical clinic is across the parking lot. It is a fairly new facility (about 4 years old). Because of the West Texas drought, the grounds have a barren, austere appearance.

On the inside, the lobby is attractive with comfortable chairs for the guests. Located in separate rooms, across from the lobby, one will find the bar, a lounge area, and the breakfast area for a self-service morning meal of sausage, eggs, coffee, juices, cereal, sausage gravy, biscuits, etc. An attractive indoor pool with ample tables and chairs adjoin the lounge area.

Each floor has its own foyer with several comfortable chairs for lounging. There are computers in a semi-private area adjoining the foyer; however, the printers are on the fourth floor.

Our room was large with a flat-screen TV. It was well furnished with a desk containing computer interfaces for a laptop and a phone. Wi-fi and local calls are free and we had no trouble accessing the router. There was a microwave, a refrigerator, and a study desk located in the room foyer.

Having partially described this property, keep in mind that an undisturbed night depends on not having some heavy-footed klutz pace the floor above you half of the night. I would recommend this property to others. Surely, others will not be so unfortunate as to have an inconsiderate neighbor.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your review and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay. It is always nice when a guest gives a great report on the hotel

I do apologize for the noise. It certainly does not make for a good night sleep when the guests above you are heavy footed.

We hope to see you back soon.

Abilene, Texas
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Very good service the staff was friendly and was very understanding of special needs. I would recommend to stay here.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope that you return if you are in the area.