“Bed bugs, management refuses to return calls”

Days Inn Lubbock South
Ranked #45 of 66 Hotels in Lubbock
San Antonio, Texas
“Bed bugs, management refuses to return calls”
Reviewed May 15, 2011

My mom and I were in Lubbock on Mother's Day weekend, 2011. On Saturday night, we stayed at the Days Inn on Avenue A. All the reviews for the hotel looked great and so we were expecting a very pleasant stay.

We didn't inspect the room too carefully because it looked so fresh, clean, and new. We had to be up early to get my mom to the airport at 8:30 on Sunday morning, and so we awoke around 6:30 AM. As I was about to get out of bed, I noticed a small bug crawling on the sheets. My mom instinctively squished it, and it was full of bright red blood. We both started suspecting it was a bed bug. I used my laptop to find images of bed bugs and confirmed our fears. We dressed and packed quickly and headed to the front desk, with the squished pieces of bed bug in a folded piece of paper to show the desk clerk. I showed this and explained the situation (very politely and calmly) to the clerk. He said that there wasn't a manager in the building but that he would let them know. We had breakfast and went back to the room, where I removed the sheets from the mattress I'd slept on and pulled it back from the wall, finding at least 3 more of the same small bugs crawling in the seams of the mattress near the head board. I collected a live bug in a tissue and offered to show this to the desk clerk as we checked out, but he didn't want to see the bug. If we hadn't been in a hurry to get to the airport, I should have taken time to photograph the bugs and perhaps insist that the clerk return with me to see the bugs in the room. But we didn't have time and we left.

After a stop at the airport and a long drive home, and a lot of time spent showering and washing my belongings in hot water, I attempted to email the hotel manager using an email address printed on my check-out receipt. This email bounced back, and so I called the hotel and asked to speak to a manager. I was again told that there was no manager in the building, but the employee who answered the phone seemed much more concerned than the morning clerk and promised that a manager would call me around 9 AM the next day and that an exterminator would be contacted to inspect the room.
I did not receive a phone call the next day, and so I called the hotel again, Monday night. I asked to speak to a manager. Again, I was told there was no manager on duty but my information was collected and I was told I would be contacted on Tuesday. I didn't receive a phone call on Tuesday, so I called again on Tuesday night, asking to speak to a manager. I was told that there would not be a manager at the hotel for the entire week. I asked about whether anything had been done with regards to my report of bugs in my bed. The employee said that the exterminator had checked the room and had not found any bugs. I asked that they still have a manager contact me and, again, they collected my contact info and promised to pass it on to the manager right away. After not hearing from anyone by mid-day on Wednesday, I decided to contact Days Inn's corporate office using the form on their website. At this point, I was just as irritated about being ignored as anything else... I wanted to know that my concern was being taken seriously. I never requested a refund, only to know that something was being done to prevent others from having to sleep with bugs.

It is now a week later and I have not heard from the hotel, have not been able to speak with a manager, and have not been contacted by phone or email by Days Inn corporate. In the letter I wrote to Days Inn corporate, I explained that if I could not get anyone at the hotel or chain management level to contact me to at least discuss my concern, I would be posting my experience on websites to let others know about the incredibly poor customer service I've received, and the very real possibility that there is an un-treated infestation of bedbugs at this location.

Room Tip: avoid room 135
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank eccainTX

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Austin
Reviewed May 14, 2011

We stayed at Days Inn Lubbock South for 2 nights in May 2011, and it was rated #6 hotel in Lubbock on Tripadvisor. We are trying to understand why.
Pros
The rooms are tastefully decorated (remodeled in 2009).
The beds are comfortable.
The staff is pleasant.

Cons
This hotel is 15 years old and located in a very odd place making it difficult to find. After traveling a long distance, that's the last thing you want to encounter.
The common areas are lacking and here's why:
The large common area beyond the lobby has three tables, with four chairs at each table, for breakfast which is not enough for the number of guests. Twelve places to sit for a large hotel?
The rest of this area is a large empty space except for a nice metal structure and a waterfall.
The waterfall is poorly landscaped as well as the area around the pool (red dense dirt with dead plants...needs to be mulched with some fresh plants).
The hot tub is still broken (read that in several previous reviews and it's still not fixed).
The exercise room still has no equipment.
The common area has several large exhaust fans that look like they are part of a large gymnasium that's not air conditioned.
This is a two story structure with no elevators. You lug your stuff up the stairs in multiple trips.
The Business Center is null and void. It has a monitor and keyboard but no computer to make them operable.
Our AC wall unit is loud.
The only source of protein for breakfast is boiled eggs.
Bottom line, it feels like they spent a lot of money to upgrade the rooms and then ran out of money and ideas for the common areas.
We will not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AustinJade
San Antonio, Tx
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Stayed twice in one week, the room was excellent. Great beds, great pillows, and very clean. Indoor pool was nicely heated the first time, and fairly heated the second time.
The pool is in a huge atrium so hard to heat. Atrium was very cold the first time, and fair the second. Great breakfast, but needs more tables.
The front desk people were outstanding also
Oh, the hottub was broken the whole time, and had time to fix but didn't but not a major factor for us. We had a great time.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank RLPSanAntonio_Tx
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 13, 2011

On a trip from Austin TX to Santa Fe NM, we stayed overnight in Lubbock. I picked this hotel for the pool and hot tub, but the hot tub is out of order! Very disappointing. The pool was a nice temperature,not too cold.

The rooms were pretty nice, we stayed in an outside room (inside rooms border the pool area). The beds were comfortable, breakfast was adequate, they have make-your-own waffles, cereal, the usual stuff.

They were very stingy with towels too.

This is a 10 minute drive from the Texas Tech campus and there are more restaurants around Texas Tech than in this area.

Overall an OK stay, it cost $80 because of "event weekend", normally I think it will be $65.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed October 9, 2010

I was driving from California to Austin Texas with my little fuzzy companion Nicholas, stopped by another hotel who referred me to this Days Inn as I had my dog with me and they did not accept pets. What a nice man who made the referral and what a nice man who was working the desk at Days Inn. It was bad weather and I was very tired, the room was wonderful and very clean, the workers were nice, had a good area to walk my dog, all in all a great place to stay. The breakfast was good also. Thanks to the management for running a great business. Thank you!!

• Stayed August 2010
Texas
Reviewed August 29, 2010

I called to make a reservation ahead of time and we got in around midnight. Every staff member I dealt with was very nice and helpful. I read here that it was hard to find, so I got directions when I made the reservation which was most helpful--better than google maps. The room was SO comfortable. It seemed new or newly renovated--but it was even nicely decorated. Such a nice price. Breakfast had waffles--Texas shaped--as a Texan, I thought it was cute. Close to the Buddy Holly museum and wineries. I wish every budget hotel I stayed in was like this. As dedicated budget travelers, this experience was a nice little relaxing surprise.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Missouri City, Texas
Reviewed May 22, 2010

We stayed here for my husband's graduation from Texas Tech. If you are direction challenged, you might need to call the hotel before going here or study your map first (you might get lost).
For the price, oh...we saved a lot from my company's discount deals with YOU DECIDE and we got a very good deal - free breakfast, wi-fi, room service everyday with fresh towels!!!, quiet surroundings, security cameras.
Customer service was great. Bed was firm and pillows were soft, newly renovated rooms and the bathrooms - all clean! I like the paint colors of the room as well as it has its ref and microwave and coffee maker as well as hairdryer too, An indoor heated pool was a plus.
Oh one let down though - there was nothing, no equipment nor machine inside the fitness room!!! But it's ok we hardly had time to use one though we thought we can squeeze a quick 30 min sweat out!
Will loved to come back here....

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple