“never going back.”

Cuisines: Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 24, 2013

The entire experience- food, service, drinks was terrible. The complimentary bread was served after having to ask for it twice and waiting for about 10 minutes for it. And it was undercooked and doughy. The waiter only gave us one dipping dish of olive oil for 6 people. Everything that should be have been refilled or provided had to be asked for. Water refills, enough menus. Not to mention they sat us right next to the door, where when anyone came in or out a gust of freezing cold air would blow onto us. Had to leave on my coat. Also, the server would bring ONE drink at a time. And they did not come out at the same time. It took 10-15 minutes for all of us to finally get our drinks to make a toast. ALSO, none of the food came out together. All of the appetizers and even the entrees trickled in! Food got cold as we waited for everyone to be served. If you are going to charge as much as they do for a glass of wine ($12) and their entrees you need to get your timing down.

I asked if they made mixed drinks, which they did as well as wine. DO NOT ORDER A MIXED DRINK FROM HERE. My friend got a cosmo and I got a martini. Both were just not right. They tasted funky. So for my dinner drink I wanted a safe-bet glass of wine from a bottle..no tampering. And they were out of what I requested! They the waitress suggested a wine like what I was looking for. Her suggestion was off-base.

The food was just bad. I was excited to eat at this place as the website bragged about their full-time chef and the tapas and entrees descriptions seemed delicious. I got the stuffed jalapeno topped with grilled shrimp tapa. It was so bland! The shrimp wasn't even grilled, very chewy and small probably zapped in a microwave. No flavor at all, which was shocking as it contained a jalapeno and brie cheese. Just bad. Then, I ordered the soup and salad for dinner. I thought I would order this as it would be a safe bet, and maybe I was just ordering the wrong things. They even screwed up a side salad and soup! The salad was made with leaf lettuce, like it was re-purposed from being a garnish or for a burger. It was not cut, it was really just 4 or 5 leaves topped with a tablespoon of diced tomatoes and a few croutons. Then I got the Anjulee soup, sounded delicious but it was far from it. Advertised as a buttersquash bisque like soup with sausage. It was basically a brothy soup with over cooked sliced sausage and carrots. It seemed like it was made days ago.

Lastly, there were two things which really erked me about this place. We went here for a birthday dinner. THEY MADE US PAY FOR HER DESSERT. If you are running a restaurant which is supposed to be fancier, you don't ask your customers to pay for celebratory desserts. Bad customer service. Lastly, we were a group of 6 which means we were all charged automatic gratuity. That is perfectly fine, and acceptable. BUT automatic gratuity should be 15% with the ability to add more if the service was deserving. THEY PUT 20%. The one thing I should have had the choice to pay for was taken away from me. I have been a waitress, at a nice establishment. I would never give less than 15%. But I do not think she deserved 20%. At that point I was just done with the place and wanted to leave. Everything about it was terrible. This is why sometimes exploring a new place can go so so wrong, and I usually like to stick to what I know.

3  Thank marydU5298QX
There are newer reviews for Manna Bread & Wine

Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

I went here with a colleague to prepare for a conference. The food was lovely. We split an appetizer of stuffed jalapenos, I had the yellowfin fandango (seared ahi tuna), and my colleague had the meatloaf. We were pleased with everything.

The service was attentive and helpful.

We sat outside and enjoyed the grassy courtyard on a very pleasant evening.

This was quite a surprise gem:)

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Manna is one of those places I've really wanted to like, but after four or five meals there, I just can't. Too bad, because Lubbock needs all the elegant dining options it can get, and Cactus Alley is a prime location for just such a restaurant.
Now there's nothing wrong with the service. The wine list is one of Lubbock's best. Prices are reasonable, too. And with the exception of some depressing, droning hipster tunes on my last visit, the atmosphere is very pleasant. But the food just doesn't cut the mustard.
The theory behind Manna's dishes seems sound, but the execution isn't up to scratch. One time the Don Eduardo's chicken was stupendous; the next time the tequila simply overwhelmed it. A game dish which has slipped my mind, remains in my memory only because of how dry and tasteless it was. I recently had a Monte Carlo wrap that was almost entirely greens and no meat. And the accompanying salsa of the day was frightfully sweet, almost to the point of being inedible.
Such a pity. I would love Manna to be on my rotation, but after more misses than hits, I won't be back.

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We ate here and at the Double Nickel while on our stay in Lubbock and they exceeded or expectations. Thx TripAdvisor! My wife had the elk and loved it. Salmon was cooked just right and very tasty.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

The food was fabulous! We wanted to try it all. I had the pork tenderloin stuffed with pecans and elk fabulous! Soups were all good. My husband and I had 4 appetizers all wonderful. Our server was named Cousins. Wish we could hire him back home . He was excellent!