“My must have in Lubbock”

Orlando's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 619 Restaurants in Lubbock
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Orlando s Italian Restaurant has been serving our "Tex-Italian" (Texas Monthly gave us that moniker) cuisine since opening its original 24th & Ave. Q location in 1965.
Reviewed September 8, 2011

We ordered delivery from a hotel. Service was very fast, the order was correct, and everything I asked for including cheese and pepper for the pizza were included. The pizzas are wonderful. We also had veal parmesan which was good. Ordered side salads which were great.....romaine NOT out of a bag iceberg mix.

Reviewed August 5, 2011

Service was good if a bit too quick. Food was good especially the pizza. Atmosphere was relaxed. Beer was cold......overall a good value!

Reviewed August 4, 2011

This was our first trip to Orlando's. We were in town to visit a family member who has recently moved to Lubbock. She chose the location after finding it on a search engine. We ate at the Ave Q location for an early Saturday evening dinner after having skipped lunch. From the moment we opened the front door until we walked out that same door, every staff member was super friendly and really seemed to want us to have a good experience.

We started with the combo fried platter: wings, mozzarella sticks, zuchini and mushrooms for $13.49. There were several pieces of each and a side of ranch and marina sauce. Yes, it was a little greasy but it was a fried platter. An yes, it was all eaten. The zuchini was a tad over cooked but everything else was good although probably most items are purchased read to fry. We didn't enjoy any wine this time, just water, soda and tea. Big glasses with lots of ice but the tea had an odd odor which I assume is from the water. No one else mentioned it so could have just been me.

Our entrees were chicken parm, peso linguine almondine w/chicken and fettuccine alfredo with sausage and mushrooms. The chicken parm got a hearty thumbs up with moist chicken and lots of gooey cheese. The fettuccine received good ratings too, smooth sauce, lots of chunks of sausage and a good amt of mushrooms. My pesto linguine with chicken was good although the pesto was a little on the oily side and yet still had a strange dry feel in the mouth. But it was very tastey and the chicken was moist and well seasoned. All of us left plenty on the plate, not because it tasted bad, but because the portion size was huge and well, we had filled up on the fried platter. So we had 3 meals there and took 3 boxes home, basically enough food for 6 dinners. The garlic bread served was OK, as was the salads we had on the side.

Was it good food? Yes, it was good. Was it the best Italian meal I've ever had? No but it was definitely a cut above most Italian places I've eaten. Things that could have been better? Sure. I had to find one thing about the place that kinda bothered me so I would suggest maybe dusting the top of the railings along the wall/above the booths. Was it a big deal? No, wasn't like it was 3 inches thick, but had been there more than a day or two. Otherwise the place looked clean and well cared for. The best thing that stood out was the staff. Our family commented on it in the car, how every staff member greeted us or invited us to come back. Our waitress was very attentive but not pushy, funny and patient with us as we poured over the menu for several minutes. We have a friend who grew up in Lubbock and says we have to go back to try the hamburger. Hamburger at an Italian place? Yep, says the place is known for having one of the best in town. So, yes, we will make a trip back to Orlando's and will defintely try the burger.

Reviewed July 29, 2011

Family enjoyed this on our visit to Tech. Sauce had a kick to it but not spicey. Chicken parm was very good. Went to Ave Q location 7 we'll be back. A nice welcome to Raiderland

Reviewed July 2, 2011

I try to go to Orlando's every time I'm in Lubbock. It's really good food overall, though I stick to only a few items just because I like them so much.

My favorite dishes at Orlandos (no particular order):
Lasagna, Meat Pizza (fabulous), Spaghetti with meat sauce, Mafia Queso and Crossroads Chicken Salad.

The glasses for drinks are rather large and the staff keeps them full. There is a bar in the restaurant with multiple televisions if you wish to go watch sports.

On Sundays, they have an All You Can Eat spaghetti and salad and garlic bread. Freaking awesome, but get there early...it fills up fast.

If you find this review helpful, please click the YES button below.