“Good Japanese hibachi restaurant”

Matsu Japanese Steak House & Sushi Bar
Ranked #139 of 229 Restaurants in Longview
Cuisines: Japanese, Steakhouse
Houston, Texas
“Good Japanese hibachi restaurant”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This was a good Japanese hibachi restaurant. The prices were very good and the food was excellent. The service was prompt and efficient. We were there on a Wednesday night and although there was a steady flow of customers, they were not terrible busy.

I would certainly recommend this restaurant.

Visited July 2013

shiplap
“A long-time favorite of East Texas”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

A grilled at your table type restaraunt, they also have a sushi bar in the back.. The grilled at your table dining experience is fun for the whole family. Most of the chefs are friendluy and joke with the kids and family. Apart from the grilled at your talbe food, they have outstanding sushi and will do anything to-go. They have beer and wine, but no hard liquor. Call for reservations if on weekend. You get a lot of food for the money. Be sure to allow at least 90 minutes for the meal. Appetizers are especially tasty!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank atza
overton
“Most honest review you will read about this Matsu”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I agree with many of the reviews on this page. The restaurant is run down. the drive way is an absolute mess. Half the time it smells like a sewer drain busted. the building is not clean at all. It is about time the owners made some major repairs. The least they could do is trim the trees that hit people in the face as they arrive. Once inside it is more of the same. Customer service is par. Not good and not terrible. I have seen waiting staff intoxicated from time to time. Not always but at times. This is a big issue for a restaurant owner. I believe they should be more involved. The cooks are not bad. They are the same as the other hibachi grills in the east Texas area. I would never go here for a party with guests. I would do that elsewhere. The shining star of this place is the sushi. I have eaten sushi at every place that sells quality sushi from Longview to Tyler. Osaka down town in Longview, Soju Tyler, Yamato Tyler, and Matsu Kilgore are pretty similar with the taste. I like the Hispanic guy that makes the sushi at Matsu. He is clean fast and thorough in the preparation. Believe me, I eat sushi every week and have been doing so for the last 20 years. The only reason I give this place 3 stars is because of the sushi. Beware of placing an order over the phone with these people. They WILL mess it up. They ALWAYS do. Show up in person and wait. The young staff is too busy drinking and joking around at the kitchen entrance. These are facts.I have been watching the Matsu restaurant as it has been going down for several years. Matsu is a single mans environment. Don't take your date there and try to impress him or her. I guarantee failure. A family place is Osaka, Yamato, and Kobe. Higher end atmosphere attempting place is Soju. I prefer to take my wife to Yamato. They have a choice between the hibachi and a nice dine in area, a sushi bar, and an actual bar. They also have an eating area outside. Pricing restaurants from high to low = Soju, (Yamato & Kobe are similar), Matsu, and Osaka. I hope this review will help you in making your decisions in the future.

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank sbr_davids
“Needs renovating, but overall food was good.”
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

The first impression of this place is very dirty. The outside is very messy. The food is good, but overpriced. I would take Osaka over this place anyday.

Longview Texas
“Don't waste your time”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

If you haven't been but are thinking about Matsu: don't! Not only did they lose our reservations for My wife's birthday party for 20 people, make us wait over an hour to get a seat, and never even apologize ( they made excuses, said it was for the night before when we told them the 16th, and then told us it was for 10 people, not the 20 we had told them), they also ran out of moscato, ran out of lobster, and didn't get my salad right. Not one apology all night long. Absolutely the WORST customer service I've ever seen in my life and we will never step foot in this place again. I will say the chef was nice, and the food tasted pretty good, but I would suggest Shogun's or Kobe's if you're looking for this food with actual customer service.

• Visited February 2013