“Pretty good, excellent value”

Chisholm Trail Barbq
Ranked #7 of 38 Restaurants in Lockhart
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed April 19, 2012

In the restaurant at prime dinner time on a Wednesday, short line, not bad. The combined meat plate, $7.75, had brisket, sausage and a pork rib. Brisket had good smoke flavor and was a little overdone but not bad. The rib was large and meaty with fair smoke flavor, done perfectly. The sausage was small and a little grainy with mild flavor. The sauce, which was cold, was extremely sweet, too sweet for me. The beans were terrible, tasted like canned Ranch Style beans with a little pepper added. The other sides were on a buffet from which you could pick 3 for the plate price above. Okra was pretty dried out, salads looked ok. Good selection. All in all pretty good, better than Blacks I had the week before and much better value. But, not legendary.

There are newer reviews for Chisholm Trail Barbq

Reviewed April 10, 2012

Tried Chisholm Trail after reading about how the locals eat here because it's so much cheaper than the famous places up the road. I found the sausage a bit too peppery for my taste. The brisket was good, but I'd classify it as more salty than smokey. I'd be darn happy to have this as my only bbq place in my own town, but given the top tier choices in Lockhart, I plan to spring for the little extra cash at those places as this is a special treat food for me and way off my normal path. If I lived in Lockhart, I'm willing to bet that I'd be there often right along with the other locals (eating regularly at the other will put you in the poor house). This food is certainly not good for you and should be a rare treat, so why not fork over a little more for the best in town?

Reviewed March 26, 2012

My wife and I have been "wintering'" for the last three months in Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi. We have gone to many good restaurants (they know how to eat down here), but the Chisholm Trail in Lockhart is amazing. We went there last night and had a Barbequed chicken, and three pints of sides that we chose and the bill was $10.99. We also both had an excellent peach cobbler with ice cream for dessert for $2.00/serving.

1  Thank liketotravel167
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We drove down from Austin - about 25 miles to try BBQ at the leading town for BBQ in Texas. We actually stopped at Smitty's first as another guest at our hotel was raving about it - we left - they don't take credit or debit cards. Time for them to join the 21st century. Anyways, we drove further down 138 and found Chisholm - another highly ranked BBQ joint.

The decor is lacking, the ceiling is smoke stained yellow and the wood paneling is tacky. We got in line unsure how to order - so we asked - you get a plate (paper) or take out box, put in your sides and then order the meat at the register. There was a large group in front of us and by the time we made it to the register, the beans and mac/cheese were cold. It would work better in my opinion if you ordered first and they filled the plate and you picked it up at the other end. They aren't going to change for me - probably been doing it this way for a long time. It just took away from the meal having the sides codl.

They are strict on the meat weights you are served - they throw everything on a scale and back it off if there is too much. We have a friend that is allergic to pork and having the scale not cleaned between weighings means she would have been exposed to pork even if she ordered brisket only. I'm not complaining - just letting others know in case they have the same problem.

The meal was inexpensive as others have noted. The best deal on the menu was a full chicken for $5.50 - no sides. Two beers, and two large combos of beef, one pork rib (total weight .5lb) plus one tough skinned sausage link along with 3 sides each came to a bit over $20.

Chisholm Trail was clearly the businest of the BBQ restaurants in Lockhart that we saw - we had driven past Black's as well. The food was good here and an excellent value. Worth the drive if you are staying in Austin.

Reviewed December 31, 2011

We fed 12 people for $40 and dreamed about the brisket that night it was SO good. Our favorite sides were the deep fried zucchini and mashed potatoes. You won't be sorry for stopping at this one!

1  Thank RaceRunner