“Must visit - Horse back Riding Austin / Lockhart ”

Maverick Horseback Riding
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Lockhart
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Maverick Horseback Riding offers unique trails with a horsemanship approach by reservation from one of our Austin-based locations. We have amazing water crossings, hilly pastures, parks and even a country road with some neighborhood buffalo roaming around. Riders will learn about horsemanship and safety, and the importance of riding in a way that will increase the safety of the rider AND the happy working life of the horse. It's not just about hopping on a horse and bouncing around, it's about learning how to give back to the animals who give so much to us. This unique lesson-based approach has been a big hit with our one-time and regular riders, who enjoy a variety of beautiful and challenging trails for riders of all skill levels and ages.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed June 20, 2018 via mobile

If you live around Austin or visiting Texas, Stop by for a Horse ride. Beautiful location, Skilled instructor and Amazing horses ❤️

All reviews
"river ride"
"advanced riders"
"long ride"

Reviewed June 17, 2018

I have never been on a horse before, but this is no reason not to go on a horseback ride with Joan Marie. After saddling the horse and a quick introduction how to ride the horse, we were off into the woods, then on to the open grass land, back into the woods, into some hills and back out. We did quite a few canters too. The ride was just fantastic. Great fun!

Well, then I got of the horse and misjudged how high I was and badly sprained my foot. My ankle swelled pretty darn badly, but Joan Marie took good care of me and let me cool my foot for about an hour on her front porch. Since we had time, she even drove me into town for lunch. She is just such a lovely lady!
I will definitely come back!

1  Thank Sven H
Reviewed June 15, 2018

I grew up riding western, however stopped when I got to high school. Now that I am 5 years post-college, I wanted to start back up and hone my western riding skills. Joan Marie was GREAT and I loved that I got to work with my horse (Moonshine) out on the land and in a natural setting. I am going back again the following weekend and will most likely be riding with Joan Marie every weekend!

Reviewed June 10, 2018 via mobile

I had a wonderful 3.5 hr trail ride here with Jo today - it was the highlight of my weekend ! The horses are highly trained english/western equitation horses, very responsive but still calm and quiet on the trail. It is not often that one has the opportunity to ride such amazing horses, really a quality experience and would be a special treat for both novice and very experienced riders alike. The scenery and landscape was beautiful and varied, and Jo was so kind and welcoming. You can tell that Jo, Sam, Megan and their assistants really care that both horse and rider have a good experience. I had so much fun and I can't wait to return - highly recommended!!
What’s sets it apart for every other trail ride I have been on is the fact that it’s a trail/leisure ride with emphasis on a riding lesson/technique/feedback . Having ridden all over the world I can tell you with confidence that level of attention to detail and care for horses and clients truly reflects love for horses that Jo has!

See more reviews
Reviewed June 5, 2018

I went to visit a friend in Austin about a week ago, and after reading great reviews from other visitors, I decided to give Maverick Horseback Riding a try myself. I am really glad that I did, so here I am adding my own review to the bunch. I had a really good time all throughout my riding experience, and Joan Marie (the owner) was both friendly and instructive. This does bring me to an important thing to note about Maverick Horseback Riding: it's INSTRUCTIVE. Signing up for a session means signing up for a LESSON in horseback riding. Before deciding to book with Maverick, please make sure to read the FAQ on the website, especially the section "What should I expect?" (I would also strongly recommend checking out the link "What to Expect During Your Horseback Riding Lesson on the Trail" included in that section). If you are looking to just sit on a horse while the horse walks along a trail, this may not be a good choice for you. Joan Marie emphasizes horseback riding as an interactive rather than a passive activity, and the horse as a responsive animal. If you are, however, looking for an authentic horseback riding experience, and open to receiving instruction, then I promise that Maverick will be both a fun and informative experience.

With that disclaimer out of the way, let's talk about what the actual experience was like for me and my friend. I opted for the private session, as I have zero horseback riding experience, and my friend was nervous about how much she remembered from her childhood. I called the number listed on the website to make my reservation, and the process was very easy. I provided the date and time I wanted to reserve, and was asked about my and my friend's previous riding experience, as well as our weights, in order allow for some advance prep with regards to horse selection. After making the reservation, I received a text from the owner with the unlisted address of the ranch.

Upon my arrival to the ranch, my friend and I were greeted by Joan Marie and a helper, Sam, who assisted with getting us ready for the ride, including checking to make sure our waivers were signed, and picking out appropriate footwear and helmets. While the helmets were optional, my friend and I both agreed it was best to be as safe as possible, and I have to say that I'm really glad we went with that decision. While neither of us were ever in any danger of falling off our horses, there were a few areas I guided my horse through that had overhanging twigs or very thin branches, and the helmet made it very easy to duck out of the way without worrying too much about my hair getting tangled or getting otherwise distracted from guiding my horse where I wanted him to go.

My horse was a large gelding about 17 hands tall by the name of Gigante (Spanish pronunciation), while my friend rode a slightly smaller horse by the name of Rowdy. Before choosing our mounts, Joan Marie made sure to check with my friend and I about how we felt about our upcoming horseback riding experience, and also specifically how we felt about riding larger, taller horses. Before riding, we were also taught about picking stones and packed dirt from the horses' hooves, brushing down the horses, and properly saddling the horses.

Once we were all riding (myself, my friend, Joan Marie, and Sam), Joan Marie clearly communicated with us on how to direct our horses (some basics had been covered prior to mounting, such as how to hold the reins and basic commands, but nothing beats actually putting those words into action), and corrected us whenever needed (e.g., heels down, look in the direction you want the horse to turn and not at the horse, etc.). She was attentive, and also adapted to our comfort levels. The entire ride itself last about an hour and 15 minutes, and took us well around the 100+ acre property, mostly at a peaceful walk, but Joan Marie did give us a few chances to try cantering as well, which I enjoyed. After the ride was over, Joan Marie let my friend and I wait on the back porch of a small house near the entrance to the ranch to be picked up, where we had a great view of the area and the company of one of the ranch dogs, and were introduced by Sam to an adorable two-week old bunny. My friend and I laughed over the next day or two at being sore in interesting places, but both felt the experience was well worth it. I would definitely like to return someday to continue learning, and heartily recommend Maverick Horseback Riding to anyone else, beginner or experienced rider.