“The brisket!”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I tried the brisket, jalepeno cheddar sausage, and the beef rib. The sausage is good, but it is really greasy with all of the fat from the meat and cheese. If you like greasy/juicy, that sausge is for you. The beef rib was pretty good too. Nice bark, good smoky taste...but the beef rib at John Muellers is better IMO. The brisket at Black's makes the stop worth it all though. It is very tender and has such a good smoke ring and bark on it. I'm definitely sticking to the brisket next time I'm here. I also had the must have pinto beans as a side, the jalapeno corn bread (yum!) and a bottle of Big Red. It was a really great meal and I was totally stuffed full of central texas awesomeness. I'd make a stop here for sure if you're traveling through anywhere close to the Austin area.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,074)

Reviewed April 21, 2013

It's a great landmark to visit and experience, but we found the food okay, but not great. Excellent service, long line and lots of locals, made the experience worth going, but we've seen it for the last time.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Delicious meats - a great range of sausage and helpful, friendly staff. We had the family plate, which is meant to serve 4, but we managed! Well worth coming to Lockhart.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

On our first visit to Texas last week we had lunch at black's after reading about it in Frommers guide book. There are apparently 3 other Barbecue restaurants that are close by as one of the local merchants told us. You take a tray where you choose your sides then choose what meats you would like. Two cooks would slice the meat that you wanted and they charged you for the meat by the pound whereas the sides were charged differently. My husband said the brisket was the most flavorful delicious meat that he has had. The ribs themselves were good but they had very little meat on them but the BBQ sauce was great.
I am a vegetarian so I choose the macaroni and cheese, potato salad, a deviled egg,a piece of corn bread and some banana pudding. The eggs. Potato salad and pudding were very good. I didn't care for the macaroni very much as it didn't have a lot of flavor and the sauce was very runny. The cornbread was very dry and unedible so I guess as it is a BBQ restaurant they don't pay enough attention to the side dishes.
The staff were very friendly and the cook's very helpful in telling you about the different meats that they were serving. Great homey atmosphere.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We've eatten at lots of different BBQ places in TX. We decided to try Black's on a recent trip to Austin. The food was okay. It has cafeteria style sides and you order your meat at the end.