“Let's argue about BBQ”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Well, they say "don't discuss religion or politics" becauce you may make or lose a friend or business opportunity. Here in Texas the same is said about declaring your allegiance to a particular BBQ joint. After declaring my love of North Carolina 'cue, I am in the process of re-visiting Texas BBQ. Where else would you start but in Lockhart, TX and at Black's (EST. 1932).
The ribs stole the show here with a beautiful bark, pretty little smoke ring and the perfect "bite"!!

They have great briskit, fatty or lean. I had the fatty and was in heaven although felt just a little guilty. While I liked the sausage, it was a bit milder than I prefer. All in all, step back to Black's and get the 'cue fest started...you will enjoy! Man, you gotta get some here!

1  Thank jscottmac
Write a ReviewReviews (1,074)

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We have dined at several Barbeque restaurants in the Lockhart area and all are good. I feel Blacks is the best. The sausage and ribs are outstanding. This place gets very crowded at lunch and dinner time so you might want to come early. If you are in the area dont miss Blacks.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My beau & I decided to take a nice drive from Austin to tour Lockhart BBQ (I also reviewed Kruez BBQ). Black's was the second place we stopped. I love BBQ places like this...no frills, just good BBQ.

We decided on a plan of attack at each restaurant...one side, maybe two if we couldn't resist, 1/4 lb brisket (fatty), 1 link of sausage, 1 beef rib, 1 pork rib.

From the serve yourself bar we each got a deviled egg which was just okay, shared a delicious pickle & a yummy yeast roll (just because it looked good...it was).

The brisket was amazing. When he picked it up to give me a little, it fell right off the fork. It was so moist & had really good flavor. Mmmmmm...makes my mouth water. The beef rib was HUGE. The guy behind the counter laughed at my expression when I saw it. I'm telling you, this rib came from a massive cow! And was it good! If you get one, that's all you need. 3 people could actually share it & be happy. The pork rib was just okay, nothing special at all. Neither of us liked the sausage. It was dry & just not good. I don't know any other way to describe it. It was about $24.

Now, for dessert...which wasn't on our list. They have this INCREDIBLE Pecan Cobbler. We didn't get any to begin with. In fact we were on our way out of town & I made him turn around to go get some because we both really wanted it, but didn't want to say anything. =P I went in to get it & came out with a pint. You can't just get the 5oz!!!

So, if you go, get the brisket (fatty) & the beef rib & you'll have a happy tummy!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you want to taste down-right great BBQ, then you can't afford to miss the opportunity at Black's BBQ in Lockhart, Texas. Family-owned and run, it still resembles what it must have looked like 25 years ago. The food is excellent, especially the beef ribs. There is plenty to choose from, whether it's brisket, sausage, beef or pork ribs, chicken or turkey. Come hungry and leave stuffed.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This place is hands down the greatest down to earth BBQ place we visited. The horns and 1000 picture frames on the wall tell the story of this institute. Everything fresh and shinny CRAZY good. Even the staff has there lunch in the restaurant since it is their place after all, I love this attitude.
Help yourself on as much bread, pickles, sauce and soda as you wish they take care of the meat.
The town it self is like BBQ heaven the streets are filled with the great smell of slow roasting meats !!