“Bizarre experience, great food”
Review of Kreuz Market

Kreuz Market
Ranked #3 of 38 Restaurants in Lockhart
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Union City, New Jersey, United States
“Bizarre experience, great food”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We had no idea what to expect when we pulled into the largely deserted parking lot under an overpass for Kreuz, but sure are glad we made the stop.

I had originally read reviews of how great Kreuz was, and probably even worth the drive from Austin, but largely forgot about it until we accidentally came across it when driving from Shiner to Austin. We were lucky enough to be driving by at lunch time and decided to make the stop.

Upon entering, we were at first confused as it appeared to be a huge wood paneled room with nothing in it, then realized we had to go into the smoke room to order out meat, then a separate room for sides, drinks, and bread to make a sandwich. After we figured this out and spent 10 minutes deciding how many pounds of meat we'd need for 2 sandwiches, we stepped up to the smoke pit and ordered. After originally being intimidated, the women at the pit were very friendly and helpful. They gave us instructions for the rest of our order.

This place is definitely not geared toward tourists as there seems to be a lot of in-knowledge required and not much info, but once we figured it out, it was great.

The food came out very affordable and the brisket was incredible. Of course it was delightfully smokey. The bread they served it with was also nice and fluffy and the onions and pickles on the side were incredible. Do not even think of asking for bbq sauce as it is considered an insult to hide the flavor of the meat here. The german potato salad and baked beans were also delightful and went very well with the brisket.

So glad we stopped and worked through figuring out what to do.

Oswestry, England, United Kingdom
“Wow.....absolutely delicious!”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

My fiancé and I shared a hot jalepeno sausage which was good, pork ribs, which were fantastic. The meat just fell off the bone, so succulent! Also some brisket which was delicious.

I wish I lived near here, I'd be here all the time. We were both stuffed after the meal, which was lunch and didn't need to eat again that day.

Service was fast and friendly too. A must!

Irving, Texas
“Cool building Good food”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

It is an interesting restaurant in that you que up in a central hall to order your meat and then go into a seating area to order sides and drinks. I think if the man who took the meat order would have been at least somewhat friendly or helpful we may have made better selections. The ribs were good, but instead of lean brisket we received shoulder. That is what the man said that we get when we order lean.... It was good, but nothing special. The beans were good and the german potato salad was very tasty. It was good, but I will go to one of the other places next time.

Austin, Texas
“As usual, up to the reputation it has earned.”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Had some really good prime rib. You need to take extra cash if you like Prime. This is one of my favorite places to eat same. Beans: You better believe it; Kruez's understands the significance of properly prepared beans. One problem, I talked to the owner and his son, neither would budge on giving out the recipe. What's with that? They must be kin to Col. Sanders or something. I also had two Dry Hots, (Sausage) for the first timers at Kruez. Onions were of the sweet variety, Cheese was excellent, and Tea was good enough to drink without sweeteners.

I do still have one complaint; "The Bean Recipes". Gee, we can't always drive 45 miles to eat there and I would have given my word not to give it out. Oh well, guess I will just have to return for the beans and Prime again next month. One good thing, Toll Road 130 is now open and the speed limit is "85"; cut the trip down from South Austin in half it seemed. Mario would like this road. Let it fly.

Visited October 2012
Austin, Texas
“Agreed with owners' philosophy”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This place may not offer you what you are looking for. If you are on the gourmet edge, you are not conservative when it comes to eat the traditional food in a different way please keep reading. In order to understand the true taste of something, you should keep it as simple as possible. Like steam cooked vegetables. Even though they are not the tastiest creations on earth, at least we learn the pure taste. The same holds for the BBQ as well. The BBQs we ate outside are so much sauced that we really cannot understand the true taste of the meat, it always feels like meat is the reason for eating the sauce. I should admit that I so much loved Kreuz market and their no sauce philosophy. It was the best brisket I ate, smoky and soft, the one I looked for. One should visit this place to eat meat in the way that our prehistoric ancestors do, avoid salads, avoid drinks, avoid pickles and onions. They only screen the elegant taste of the meat.
I loved this place and keep going for sure.

• Visited October 2012