“Still A Winner”

Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Visit #1

I keep hearing of disappointments with Kruez Market but I continue to have good experiences here. I know it is huge and commercialized but I can’t blame the owners for cashing in on the Kruez fame as long as the BBQ is good and today it was. Brisket, spareribs and sausage was my classic order. Brisket had a beautiful smoke ring and bark. It was tasty but a bit dry, perhaps due to my arrival time of 3:00 pm and not being cut off a fresh brisket. The rib was outstanding with a flavor profile very close to Franklin’s and was the best rib that Kruez has ever produced for me. Sausage was outstanding, again a classic Central Texas sausage that was the perfect texture and just dry enough. Kruez continues to perform well for me so I will continue coming back. Overall Score: 4.0 Stars

Visit #2 ( a couple of days later)

Last on the Déjà vu trail was Kruez with very similar results to day 3. The rib was the standout and since my buddy had not had the sublime Franklin’s ribs it set the new high water mark. Overall Score: 4.0 Stars

2  Thank RastamanInKansas

Reviewed October 25, 2011

And I drove from San Antonio and up here to see what it's all about (and to give my Mustang a spin)... And I wasn't disappointed!

Great food - great atmosphere - great service... Back home I keep telling people "That's what BBQ is all about"!

Go there!

Reviewed October 24, 2011

I think of the ribs and sausage at this place almost every day. Sausage is juicy, spicy, and wonderful. Pork rids are tender and fall off the bone. Add a little hot sauce and you're in heaven. The food the atmosphere the people...when you think of a Texas bar-b-q place...this is what you're envisioning.

Reviewed September 28, 2011

I've been to them all in Lockhart, Austin and the surrounding haunts throughout central Texas. I've been to Bastrop, Taylor, Llano, you name it. I keep going back to Kreuz becasue it's the best.

Their "fatty" brisket, which is real brisket as compared to their "lean" which is shoulder roast, is fantastic and the pork shops and prime rib are great to add in while you're at it. The sausage which is sold un-smoked by the case to those in the know is always perfectly seasoned and well smoked (I expect this sausage makes it onto the table of many other restaurants with no credit given btw).
Grab a Lone Star, some cheese, onions and pickles and you're living it up.

Reviewed September 23, 2011

A local turned us onto this place....and what a place it is....ranked #4 and so worth it! The boneless prime rib is so yummy and juicy! My son tried all the meats from prime rib to pork and loved them all. Don't expect fancy...no forks! Just a plastic knife and spoon and the squishy white bread we loved as kids! The sides are big...and there is no need once you bite into that perfectly smoked meat (the 'plate' is brown butcher paper). And you buy the meat by the pound! ( or ounce since requested half a pound, as did most of us). They weigh it in this hot, smoky room where you see the fires burning...supposedly since long long ago when they moved locations....gives 'keep the (home) fires burning a whole new meaning'! The brisket was moist and smoky.....real Texas BBQ! Can cost a lot....depends on what and how much you order.....prime rib most expensive....though as I said...no need for sides...no BBQ sauce just Hot Hot Pepper sauce for those looking for heat.