“Nice Lake View, but...”

Lake Livingston State Park
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Livingston
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and two young children ages 5 and 2 spent the day here.

Pros: The lake view is beautiful. My youngest daughter kept calling it the "ocean." The lake is huge! The park is very clean. It is easy to find right off Highway 59.

Cons: We didn't see any "beach" areas where you could wade in the water. You just jump off a ledge into the water. It would have been nice with little children to ease your way into the water. There were a lot of trees cut down. I'm not sure what that is all about, but walking on a nature trail and seeing trees down everywhere wasn't the best sight.

Tip: Bring wasp spray! There are a lot of wasps swarming around! There were a couple flying around us while we tried to have picnic. Then we saw a lot on our nature hike. I was worried that one of the kids would get stung.

2  Thank MrsMahana

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We had two sites for an RV (motorhome) and two tents. There was plenty of room for everyone. There are "boxed in" tent locations on each site, heavy landscape timbers and a hardpack soil within. They needed some work as both tent locations had some low spots which can make for difficulties in setting up and potential for holding water. My daughter, her husband and our granddaughter definitely had some issues with this. Not only did their tent leak like a sieve during the thunderstorms that passed through (although that has nothing to do with the park/site) but the low spots in the tent box became large puddles with water seeping through into the tent.

The park has had extensive tree loss due to the drought conditions in Texas the last couple of years so it is a lot more open than it used to be. There was so much downed timber that the normal restrictions against gathering firewood were lifted and we had a nice fire each night and at breakfast time. Be sure to check before your trip however as at some point they will return to the normal policy and you will need to provide your own firewood.

Restrooms were reasonably clean although the showers get kind of "icky" in the evenings with a lot of heavy usage. I took my showers late (like 10PM or later) and there was plenty of hot water although some of our party reported cutting their showers off short mid-evening due to running out of hot water.

The children in our group were not old enough for a trail ride but they did get to experience the pony ride in the corral. Nice folks there.

As mentioned by others there are plenty of nice trails in this park although on this trip we stayed pretty close to the campsite.

We made one tactical error in our site location. Our sites were right by the restrooms/showers as some in our party wanted to be close for convenience. But this made for a noisy location at night and early morning when folks were trying to sleep. We also had a lot of people taking shortcuts through our campsites to get to the restrooms. After a while you get tired of asking/telling them to "go around". Some folks are just completely lacking in campground etiquette. We decided we should have brought some of the big yellow CAUTION tape to string around our sites to encourage them to go around. This took away from an otherwise relaxing experience.

We made a couple of trips to the fishing pier but didn't have much luck as we were fishing in the middle of the day (pretty much the worst time). It's a good sized pier in excellent condition that stands a fair ways out in the water,

2  Thank Stevereno_12
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I have gone to Lake Livingston State Park at least every other month for my entire life. I have visited many parks in Texas, and still none can quite match the beauty and fun of Lake Livingston. The board walk is a must visit, it's an easy walk for children and there are still a few interpretive boards along the path. The nature trail through the woods is also great fun, even when hurrcanes and drought have knocked down trees on the path. If you follow the old trail all the way to the end you can look over a cliff and get a break taking view of the Lake and the camping area of the park. If you drive around the park at night you can see deer, beavers and opposums galore! KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR THE COUGAR! We saw a large cougar roaming the board walk area on our last visit. Quite an exciting treat indeed! I've been there hundreds of times but that one night will forever be remembered. You can take guided horse rides and swim in both the lake and a swimming pool. But you have to pay to swim in that pool and HEY! The lake is more fun. Don't foreget to check out the awesome viewing tower by the park store and fish off of the piers at night. The screened shelters are also some of the best I've come acorss, with a second half story to sleep in. The premium sites right on the lake are by far the nicest adn provide the most pieceful view of the lake at sunrise and sunset, but the sites off from the lake provide peace and quiet. I could go on forever, butyou should really see it for yourself. GET OUT THERE!!!

5  Thank Kai M
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Spent the day here and it was awesome. Be advised that they don't rent canoes anymore but they are working on fixing that. We did rent horse and went on a trail ride. The horses were all gentle and the staff was really friendly. It made the day fun.

3  Thank Chris C
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We spent the weekend camping at Lake Livingston State Park. We went over MLK weekend and the campgrounds were about 80% full. I would recommend getting reservations early on holiday weekends or during the spring. Even in the winter the wilderness was beautiful. We stayed at Hercules Loop. We were not on the water but we could see if from our front door and the sunsets were magnificent. The sights were spaced very far apart. There are plenty of walking paths that are well maintained. We enjoyed hiking and bicycling around the whole park. There is also stable for horseback riding and during the summer months, a pool and general store are provided. The park is very well maintained, it is patrolled constantly by the camp host and by the park rangers. The check in staff was great! There are a lot of tree stumps that have not been removed from all the trees that died during the drought, but there are still plenty of trees to enjoy. If you are camping I would not suggest Pine Oaks unless everything is full. This campground is away from everything, except the stables and the sights are very close together. The only bad experience we had was the camper next to us brought a dog that they chained out and it barked constantly. I would not put this on the park just an inconsiderate camper. We will definitely go back.

3  Thank T B