“Not a fantastic place, but not horrible, very tolerable...” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Great Value Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Live Oak B&B and Inns
san antonio texas
“Not a fantastic place, but not horrible, very tolerable...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2011

I've read many of the reviews here on this hotel, and my experience here was not that bad. First, it is an extended stay hotel...they have a kitchen, and they don't come clean your room every day. That should be known and expected. With that being said, the staff was always happy to change out my sheets and towels any time I wanted - of course, I have to bring them downstairs to exchange with them, but I didn't mind. You can have fresh linens any time you want - you just have to bring them down to front desk during business hours - I think that is reasonable. They clearly state that they only clean once a week (or twice, I can't remember). What they have in this room is essentials. Don't expect frills. The mattress was very thin and uncomfortable...but I'm not staying at a luxury resort hotel, I don't expect that. The essentials were there. Kitchen was relatively clean, bathroom was relatively clean. I had no problem with the cleanliness. I have no real complaints about hotel. It is bare minimum, and essentials...it does not have frills. Only thing I was frustrated about was - I was locked out a couple of times during my 2-week stay, and had to wait a quite a long time (approximately 15 min) for staff to come activate my card-key so I can get in. I don't know why my card-key kept getting deactivated, but it happened enough for me to be annoyed. Yes, you have to take out your own trash, do your own dishes...just think of it like an apartment, that you don't have to sign a lease for. If you are on a budget, this place is good. If you want the frills of a nice hotel, pay for it. I think they met up to expectations.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Montego Bay, Jamaica
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2011

This place is run by a family who cares more about their roof in the US than a hotel...No service at all... If you are a pig and like things dirty, this is the place. I spent 4 months there ( I had NO choice ) and it was a nightmare. The family does not know how to run a hotel. INDIO PUERCO !!!!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Osama88
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2011

WORST PLACE IN THE STATE OF TEXAS!!
Stayed at this hotel for an extended period of time for my job. That was the worst week of my life. This hotel is extremely dirty and unkept. The hallways smell of urine and old food and are dirtier than the worst streets in SA. The hotel staff consists of the owners of the hotel and their family and they are extremely rude and unfriendly. Their lobby is never open since they live on the hotel premises and sleep ALL day so if you need anything from them you need to ring their bell about 5 times and wait at least 20 minutes just to be acknowledged. Since they sleep all day they have no issue calling your room at all hours of the night to find out if your going to stay an extra night which is absolutely unprofessional and absurd. With all that being said I have not even gotten into how disgusting the rooms are. The beds and floors have blood stains all over. The air conditioning unit is falling apart and should have been replaced years ago. The rooms stink of mildew and their is no air freshener known to man that can cover up the smell. The room is not cleaned even if you ask instead you will be given the vacuum cleaner and informed their is a laundromat down the road to clean your sheets and you will need to vacuum your room your self. All in all I'd rather sleep in my car than ever stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011
3 Thank Jenncue
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2010

I was visiting some people in San Antonio and needed a place to stay nearby their place. I was a little bit concerned after reading the reviews here and on priceline, but you can't argue with the price ($35 in my case for a king-size non-smoking room).

I think that some of the older reviews were a bit unfair, so I thought that I'd chime into the discussion. This appears to be a fairly small motel that is family-run (I came in a bit late and woke up what appeared to be a daughter and a mother sleeping in a nearby room when I checked into the place.)

The room came with a refrigerator and a microwave, which was a nice touch. The air conditioning worked just fine, and although there weren't any free electrical outlets next to the desk, I borrowed one of the ones from a nearby lamp. I could see an access point for the hotel wireless internet, but they didn't offer me the key and it was late enough for me to not bother trying to get it after making it to my room.

I wouldn't say that the people at the front desk went out of their way to be nice, but they weren't unfriendly and got me checked in fairly quickly. Although the room looked like it could use a little bit of touch-up paint, it was clean and tidy overall, and had a tile floor instead of the commercial carpeting most places of this size tend to have.

It was next door to a Denny's and a Whataburger, with a Carl's Jr. not too much father, at least two of which are open 24/7, which was pretty convenient for a quick meal.

The bed wasn't anything special, but it wasn't bad either. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank billatq
Temple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2010

We were exhausted after a Sea World trip with 2 small children. Unfamiliar with the area we relied on the gps to find a hotel. We thought of trying this place. Mom went inside to pay, she went to find the room and unpleased went back inside to ask for another room. They gave us a 2nd room and after waking the kids up, going inside, finding the room HOT, no door locks, I picked up the phone inside the room to dial the front desk. No dial tone, phone was plugged in, not working. Walked into the bathroom and turned right around, grabbed all bags & kids and headed to front desk to demand a refund. After saying we'd be refunded minus the $5 transaction fee of using the machine to swipe a card, my mom ended up having to go through visa via her bank. They double charged her for the room and the bank put the money back in her acct. I called the man and tried to ask him about the refund, he said there are NO refunds, I told him the child he had working the desk said we'd be refunded, he said so call back later and talk to her and I asked if his child was the boss then and he got angry, said some disgusting curse words and hung up on me. The inside of the room looked like something you'd see on 'The First 48' show that comes on A&E. I would not ever recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Heatherlcag
College Station, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2010

This hotel is a disgusting hovel. All of the other reviews on here are correct. We did not even stay in our room for 15 minutes before deciding to leave and because I had made a reservation for 2 nights I was charged for two nights. When I asked to be refunded for the second night I was told they don't give refunds. Please save yourself the time and hassle and pick a different hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravlinMan00
Live Oak
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

My room was actually clean with new tile floors, etc. My problem is: the owners don't know how to run a hotel. I rented a room for a week but left after 5 days without a refund because housekeeping kept barging into my room. They knock, wait maybe 3 seconds and proceed to come in. All the while I'm shouting "No, Go Away, Stop". I, personally, think it's some kind of twisted game that will eventually end badly. I usually travel with my guns which would put a quick and unfortunate end to this situation. btw... No latch on the dooor to keep anyone from coming in.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank MellowJ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Live Oak
Northeast San Antonio
WoodSpring Suites San Antonio Fort Sam
WoodSpring Suites San Antonio Fo...
#198 of 353 in San Antonio

Been to Great Value Inn? Share your experiences!