“Good & Simple Seafood”

Aw Shucks
Ranked #24 of 298 Restaurants in Lewisville
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

I've been a patron of Aw Shucks in lower Greenville as well as Big Shucks in Richardson for years. I was excited when they decided to open Aw Shucks in Lewisville.

Don't expect anything fancy from this place. You walk up and order, sit down, and wait for them to call your name. Food doesn't have a lot of special flavors or sauces. It's pretty basic, but seafood is fresh and good. I usually get the grilled fish of the day that comes with rice and grilled veggies, catfish basket, or crawfish (when in season). The shrimp cocktail or ceviche is pretty darn good for appetizer.

Weird yet cool thing about this place is the honor system. Since you don't have a waiter, you just tell the cashier what you ordered when you're ready to pay. Sometimes I'm not sure if that's such a great idea when you order a lot of food because you may forget something.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

The Lewisville Texas location gives AW Shucks in general a big black eye. My Mother planned to take my father there for his 70th birthday along with her Parents and my husband and myself. When we walked in we stood around for several minutes with staff just looking at us. There were open tables everywhere but no direction as to whether we should wait or seat ourselves. Finally we just found a table we could all fit at. We sat around for another 10 minutes with staff offering no direction or clue as to what was expected of us. Finally we went to hunt down some menus, the offered us two for 6 people to share. By this time we figured it must be 100 % self-serve so we went and ordered some food using my husband’s name for the order. The called our names but only gave us 3 of our orders, after patiently waiting my mother & myself went to go see what happened. The manager was clueless and told my Mother just “GO SIT DOWN “ we will bring it to you when we get it. She was rude and condescending to my Mom who couldn’t be a sweeter person. We waited till the rest of the food started cooling off & my husband and I went to go find out what the deal was. The manager was arrogant and snotty (and that is putting it nicely) I told her how horrible the service and experience was thus far and I didn’t appreciate how she treated my Mother. She shrugged it off and told me I was rude. I reminded her we were customers and she told me well you need to learn our system. Her Name is Lindsay Seale the food was ok (fries were cold & soggy by the time we all got our food) but she has no business managing a restaurant. I could not and would not recommend Aw Shucks ever the food wasn’t good enough to make up for the poor attitude and lousy customer service. Don’t plan any special events there you will be disappointed. I felt horrible for my Mom she just wanted to have a special dinner out for My Dads 70th birthday.

2  Thank Lisa A
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Fried seafood and fries........boring. I'm just not impressed. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't care to go back. You order at a counter and seat yourself. Maybe it's better if your drinking.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Atmosphere has a very beach shack feel. This is a walkup and order and sit yourself joint. We ordered oysters on the half shell, fried oyster basket and coconut shrimp basket. The oysters on the half shell were great. They serve with ketchup and let you customize your cocktail sauce with horseradish, tobasco, lemons, etc. which they have at the condiment bar. Recipe is posted next to the horseradish so you don't have to remember how to make it.

The fried oysters were really good, hot and fresh served with yummy steak fries. The coconut shrimp was okay, they were crunch fried much like you cook catfish, making them very crunchy. Served with a sweet coconut sauce - they were also served with thick steak fries. I didn't really like the crunchy shrimp, make them a little hard to eat. The coconut shrimp did have a good flavor.

The funniest thing was paying - you pay at the end and you have to remember what you ordered. They don't have it written down, they don't give you a slip to check out.

It wasn't horrible but like I have already said, just okay. The prices are kind of high for a self serve restaurant. My next visit will be during Happy Hour where the oysters on the half shell are half price. Also I will order the fish tacos next time - those looked really good and they come fried or grilled.

This location does have outdoor sitting. Inside is clean and bright. Service was nice and quick.

Reviewed April 25, 2012

Fresh oysters and they're half off during happy hour.