“Great time; value is relative”

New York Texas Zipline Adventures
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Larue
More attraction details
Owner description: Chosen the BEST ADVENTURE TOUR in TEXAS 2012 through 2017. Spectacular 30 mile views where you will zip from tree top to tree top. Zipline up to 100ft. above the ground. Ages 5 to adult. GREAT Family FUN! New! 1500ft. Challenge Zipline w/2 Cable Sky Bridges. Sky-High Thrills...TEXAS Style!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Ziplining either looks fun (and it is) or it doesn't (and isn't), so I'm not going to review ziplining itself, just this particular attraction. This was our second ziplining, the first being at Branson Zipline in Walnut Shade, MO. In a nutshell: This is a great place to zipline, but your opinion of it may depend on your prior experience. We were with friends who had done a short zipline on a cruise in Mexico, so they thought this was fantastic considering the length (we did 9 lines) and the beautiful scenery, up on a mountain among the trees. My family's opinion was that it compared very favorably to the one in Branson, but they liked the Branson one a little more. I would say this one fell short in only 2 areas, discussed below.

First, though, our overall impression. This is a family business. The Shultzes are super friendly people, very welcoming, very helpful, very much interested in your having a good time. In Branson, it felt like a well-oiled money machine, but I never felt that way with the Shultzes. I traded booking e-mails with Connie, who prefers phone calls, whereas I don't. Connie did seem a bit disorganized as she sometimes replied to e-mails almost immediately, and other times it took her a week to e-mail back. She did apologize that she gets a lot of e-mails and it takes her a while to answer all of them. I was a bit nervous depending on phone calls since were were driving almost four hours to get there and didn't want a mixup. In the end, although the confirmation list was still handwritten on a piece of paper, there were no mixups and everything went smoothly. Connie was very much on the ball the day of the appointment, calling me that morning to confirm, and to advise me how to avoid construction traffic near their location.

My only reservations are compared to the one in Branson, which is why I indicated that your impression could be very different depending on what you are expecting. I was disappointed that the actual ziplining itself only lasted about an hour. In Branson, it was well over two hours, although there was a small amount of hiking as well as a snack break. Tours are scheduled every two hours, but by the time all the people on our 2:00 tour got harnessed and through the "training" zipline, it was 3:00. We were done a little after 4:00. Another disadvantage to this vs. Branson was that there were approximately 30 people in the group, as well as in the group that followed, which increased some of the waiting. There were only 8 in Branson, which made the experience there seem much more personal. However, we did go during spring break. Over the summer, it may be much smaller groups.

My memory is a little hazy, but my kids and husband feel that the Branson ziplines were a little longer. However, my kids thought that the NY-TX lines were more fun because you slow yourself down, so you can control somewhat the speed that you go. This makes it scarier in a good way. In Branson, the ziplines are designed so that you go uphill at the end and automatically slow down.

Other observations: as far as amenities, they have 2 portapotties and they say they sell snacks, but nothing more than chips and soda. There is a big, beautiful lodge there, but that's their house, and visitors don't go inside. I'd advise planning to eat before or after, and if portapotties bother you, make a pit stop before arriving. There's not much else nearby. I hope they get real concessions going sometime in the future, because it was gorgeous weather and we would probably have stayed to eat and enjoy the scenery if they'd had food to offer.

They do allow you to bring your own camera, at your own risk, which not all ziplining places do. Connie will take pictures to post on Facebook in case you forgot your camera. They are very accommodating in this respect.

We live in Texas so we will probably return when we want to go ziplining again. All things being equal, however, we'd probably return to Branson first.

All reviews
in 59 reviews
"tripping"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed March 6, 2013

From the time we stepped out of our car til the moment we stepped back in we were treated so friendly, they make it a point to make EVERYONE feel comfortable. The first couple of visits I did the 6 lines and it was great...well last time I did the 9 lines and I got to tell u that u will remember line 8...It was GR8T!! The guides are the most polite and considerate young men I have ever met. By the time our tour was over we all felt as if we knew each other. One of these times I am gonna get the courage to yell "Who greased the vine" all the way down line 8. I'm no spring chicken but I'll be there at Spring Break!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I have been twice!!! Planning my third visit for a reunion. You will not be disappointed.
KHP and grandchildren from Houston

3  Thank HoustonKpatterson
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We were so surprised to find out that there was a zipline in Texas! We came from south of Houston where it is super flat. When we got to Tyler, we were looking for things to do and saw the ziplines on the attractions list and decided to give it a try. We were so glad we did because we had never done a zipline as a family. It was a great time and surprisingly a good workout! We already recommended it to our family and friends.

1  Thank Ellie M