“Worst Stay ever”

Ranked #28 of 37 Hotels in Laredo
Laredo, Texas, United States
“Worst Stay ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Well to begin off the only thing i liked about this hotel was the food. Let me tell you that the food was great the panchos and chicken strips.
The service was horrible my the front desk specially by a "lady" who would dress as if every time she had just woken up. Aside from that she had a mouth of a sailor and an attitude. The cleaning lady was bad at her job like she didn't even clean the rooms or made the beds. Totally horrible there were roaches everywhere i mean everywhere..

Room Tip: do not stay in this hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank True_13

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

A former Hilton Hotel built in the 70's, this cylindrical tower on the edge of the Rio Grande is not the sterile, homogenous chain hotel that inundates Laredo. It's charm is it's location, it's staff and it's old school appearance. The rooms are spacious with wonderful panoramic views of both Nuevo Laredo and Laredo, a swimming pool, bar/restaurant and quiet with merely the sound of the train. I left a chain motel to arrive here and couldn't be happier. All of the staff including managers Ruben and Armando are extremely friendly and have accommodated my every need. If you are creeped out by a stain on the rug or not having state of the art fixtures, don't stay here, but I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quiet with best views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Deechee
Irving, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

My brothers & sisters and I had a celebration for our mother's 80th B-day on August 18, 2012. It was a great experience for us. The food was great and there was lots of it. Special mention goes to Mr, Gustavo Rojas, did a great job for us. The staff was always ready to assist our guests. Fausto (I think was his name), has a great personality he made everyone feel very welcome. The hotel manager was tentive to our needs. My brother had his wedding reception there over 20 years ago and continues to have dinner at the restaurant. He had his daughter's college graduation there too and recommended it for our mom's party. On behalf of the Rosa Gonzalez Family, Muchas gracias a todos. L. Molina

Room Tip: Had an event in the restaurant only. It was set up beautifully.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Leticia G
Pearland, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

My wife and I wre visiting Laredo on business.The hotel was recommended to us by the local company representative. The Hotel is old and needs to be refurbished. We arrived on a Sunday evening about 6pm. The parking lot was a gravel/dirt field next to the hotel. As we had just driven several hundred miles, we went straight up to the room to prepare to retirefor the night. As mentioned in other reviews, the view was pretty good from the 8th floor. The Rio Grande River was one block away rom the hotel. I was comforted by how many Customs Officers were stationed in vehicles along the river near the hotel - we could usually see at least three ICE Units at any one time.

Once inside the room was dark even when the three lights were on. We did not have a remote to turn on the TV. I had read that we had to ask for one at the desk. There were exactly two clean towels in the room.One extra towel had been left on the hook behind the bathroom door. It had blood spots on it. I assumed someone had cut themselves shaving or something. I went to get ice for cold water only to find the ice machines on the 6th, 7th and 8th floors did not work.

We went to bed early, got up early and left for our business meeting. We came in late in the evening and retired for the night. We got up early the next day to prepare for our departure. This was when we saw several dark red stains on the carpet between the beds and red streaks on the wall behind the TV set (looked like blood stains to us!)

Obviously we were quite upset about this and packed our belongings to leave immediately. Upon our check out, the desk manager said that if we would have said somehting earlier he would have certainly moved us to another room. AS we said we were leaving the city, he did offer us a discount the next time we stay there. We shook our heads.... walked out of the hotel and did not look back!

Room Tip: Dont stay on the 8th floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank MRLBS

Travelers are raving about these Laredo hotels

Van Buren, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

Ok.....so my first impression of this place was acutally ok. The rooms are nice and the staff is friendly. The view into Mexico is awesome at night. Now on to the frustrating thing about my stay. You have to ask for your tv remote...What the heck is up with that!!! Also, when it comes to askin for towels you might as well bring your own, because you won't get any it is awful. I had to ask 3 times for extra towels, washcloths and hand towels. So when I did finally get them I get only two towels, no extra washcloths or hand towels just big towels. I thought maybe with the language barrier I would go ask again for the items I needed and to see if I could possibly get our trash emptied. Well the whole day went by and still nothing. I had to finally ask for a 5th time and it was taken care of by the end of the day but we still only had one washcloth for two of us and only one hand towel. I guess maybe I'm a little more picky then your average traveler but I don't like to share washcloth with my husband...lol...

Another kind of creepy thing is that the elevators start moving before the doors actually close...that kind of made me worry several times and when you get in and the doors don't shut but the manager tells you "it's ok we just rewired" and he just starts pushing buttons....YEAH OK....I just stepped out and said I will take the stairs...

Now the food is good and there are some very friendly staff....so if you don't have issues with any of my complaints it is a nice place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Hotrod0527
dubuque
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2008

My friend and I were tired of all the cold icey weather from Iowa and wanted a get away for a couple weeks.We drover straight through to Texas and when we finally got to the border we looked for any hotels with a good prce Monthly.We found the Rio Grande Plaza was very reasonable for monthly rates and we checked in immediately for a month.$650.00 dollars a month is a pretty good price for a classy hotel with beautiful women working the front desk .They have a wonderful lounge restaurant high speed internet on the main floor only,and all of the food was incredible.The drink prices were super and the people were very professional.I think I fell in love there everytime I met a new female employee.The rooms were clean,the beds were soft,the pillows smelled good.The only draw back was that if you smoke in the room there is no way to vent it out so go into the bathroom and turn on the fan there and the smoke goes right out.No windows that open but on the top floors i can see why.The hotel was so cumfortable that I want to move there to live.Now how many hotels can say that?And the weather was warm all the time,the general population was great too,noone bothers you there,they mind there own business and life was good for me spending Christmas in Texas.Its about a 5 minute walk to Mexico and mexico is good.
Over alll I loved this hotels spirit and would go back again as soon as i can. If you want a 5 star hotel this is not it but its pretty close.If you pickey about every little thing then this is not the place for you.If your normal and expect what you pay for than this is it.Thanks to all the great people that work there and manage this place because its the best I have ever seen.
SIncerely L.A. Green

• Liked — The WEATHER
  • Disliked — No windows to open for fresh air
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank lovelukegreen
Dallas, TX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2007

My wife stayed at the hotel on 6/16 and paid using Master Card in the amount of $59.27. We have subsequently had our credit card billed 6 additional times totaling $775.14. We've contacted the hotel and they have given us the run around. We have filed police charges and contacted our bank to dispute the charges in addition to speaking to the fraud department. Because Rio Grande continues to charge our card, we had to close the account which I had since 1989. If you stay here, use cash only. In addition, this has happened to several other family members. The only reason my wife went there was for a family reunion. What a travesty that a hotel can abuse the credit card system in this way!

• Liked — family gathering
  • Disliked — The fraud
  • Stayed June 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank PentiumKnight
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laredo
Ramada Plaza Laredo
#14 of 37 in Laredo
BEST WESTERN PLUS Laredo Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Nuevo Laredo, Tamps
Red Roof Inn Laredo - I-83 South

Been to Rio Grande Plaza? Share your experiences!