“Elegant and Relaxing”
Review of La Posada Hotel

La Posada Hotel
Ranked #13 of 38 Hotels in Laredo
Reviewed March 16, 2008

Although it is quite tricky to find the hotel it was well worth it. We were told by an employee that it stays very congested with traffic in front of the hotel due to people coming across from Mexico to work. The people wait in the small park across the street from the hotel for someone to pick them up and take them to work in the city.

Inside the hotel it is very luxurious. You feel as though you are in a resort hotel. The rooms are fabulous! We had an entrance way and an area that is like a kitchenette without the cook stove. Then there was a dining table area, living room w/balcony and 1/2 bath. The bedroom had a king size bed and a very large roomy bathroom. The only complaint we had were the towels being so thick they were stiff not soft and fluffy.

The hotel employees were extremely helpful in every way. They even had a courtesy car that took us to a local restaurant we wanted to eat at. After we finished we just called the hotel and they picked us up within 15 min. and also took us to a convenience store so we could pick up a few items we needed.

Considering our entire trip throughout the Texas hill country and southern Texas this was the best hotel we stayed at. Not to mention the price was more than reasonable at $125 per night. We stayed in a hotel on the San Antonio riverwalk that could not come close to the hospitality or ambience of this hotel for double that price!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ihearvoices2

Reviewed February 13, 2008

We have stayed here 9-10 times over the past 10-12 years and enjoy it more each time. We got a rate of $75 from the hotel website which is a absolute steal. Yes you can find plush new hotels like the Embassy or the Staybridge but they do not offer the character and charm of old Laredo like La Posada does. We try to get our favorite room (Unit 134) which has a private outdoor patio with table and chairs and a view of the Rio Grande and Nuevo Laredo plus a great view of the setting sun.

With the recent renovations the hotel is even more plush and cozy with great beds/linens/pillows. Each room has a mini-fridge and a coffeemaker and safe. The pool with the swim up bar was heated but we didn't get to use it on this trip.
We usually have a dinner at the Tack Room with its great waiters, steak and salad bar.

For those uncertain about crossing into Nuevo Laredo: we talked with customs and they said it was safe to visit during the daylight hours and within the tourist areas of the first few blocks. We walked to the Mercado and saw a few more shops open than last summer - a sign that tourism there will be returning. Other places we visit are Marti's, the jewelery stores along the main street, Mi Terra cafe, and Sombreros the tequila bar. I understand the concerns about going across but we feel it is safe and want to give much needed business to the storekeepers there who have been hit hard the last few years.

Our dealings with the hotel staff were all positive. I cannot say enough good things about La Posada.

Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank hondotank
Reviewed February 7, 2008

This is an absolutely beautiful hotel. The grounds are fabulous and the hotel service staff (room service, garage, bar, concierge, etc) were all wonderful during our stay. However, the front desk personnel are desperately in need of training. When I called to make our reservation the phone rang about 25 times and no one answered it. I called back later and after 16 rings they finally answered. Upon arrival we discovered our reservations were all mixed up and the room type we requested was not available that night. They did move us to the room type we wanted the next day, but never offered anything to make up for our inconvenience. When we checked out there was confusion again because of our room change. After taking time (during check out) to make sure it was worked out, I received my credit card bill and discovered I had been over-billed by about $300. It took numerous calls to get this straightened out and I had to call them every time - no one from the hotel ever called me back.

It took 4 days of phone calls (from me to them) to finally correct their error. It is a shame this wonderful hotel and what would have otherwise been a fabulous trip were ruined by a front desk/accounting staff that needs training.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank DemoDame
Reviewed October 2, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel probably 15 times with my family and loved each trip. I have only stayed in the suites. This hotel always smells wonderful, and the suites are fabulous and clean. The suites I have stayed in have 1-1/2 baths (which is very handy when traveling with 3 or more persons) and the bar at the kitchenette is very handy. One of our favorite things is to sit outside at the table (there's long covered porches with tables at every door) and play cards. We go here to relax, either in our room, out on the balcony overlooking the Rio Grande (ask for a room with a balcony!) or by one of the pools (one has a swim-up bar). The entire place reeks of RELAXATION. The staff has always been well-informed and helpful. We enjoy their room service, which has always been right, and also eating in El Cafe. And unless things have changed since my last visit, there has always been an apple waiting for me upon check in!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
8  Thank Jojonellie
Reviewed September 9, 2007

My wife and I came down from Austin to have a romantic weekend get-away for our anniversary. She loves to shop and we wanted to go into Nuevo Laredo to check out the shops and sites on the other side of the river. I choose this hotel because I thought it would give us easy access to the two bridges to cross the river. We love great food and expected to find some really nice Tex-Mex and Mexican restaurants while we were there, but we were in for quite a few surprises.

We were very surprised to learn upon arriving that the hotel had recently completed a 15 Million dollar renovation – which was not mentioned on the website. Danny at the front desk was very helpful in switching us from a regular room to a Jr. Suite for a $20.00 upgrade fee which was well worth it for me. The rooms were all very nicely appointed, and it looks like the hotel designer really thought through all of the details of the room. The colors were fresh and bold, the room included such touches as a CAT5 Cable hook up in the room IN ADDITION to wireless access which was a huge asset to me. Anyone who has ever checked into a hotel that advertised wireless only to have trouble getting online because one of the access points was down – knows exactly what I’m talking about.

The other huge surprise was the quality of the Restaurants at the hotel. They have 3 different restaurants, which all have their own fare. The first night we took the advice of the night manager and dined in the Tesoro Club which is their fine dining establishment. The room was romantic, well decorated and the service was impeccable. The food quality was excellent though the menu was somewhat limited as was the wine list.

Our second night at the hotel we dined in the Tack Room which is the hotel’s answer to Ruth’s Chris steak house. The food was reasonably priced, again the service was the best, and the food quality was as good as we can get in any Austin Restaurant. Our waiter was very attentive, never let the glass get too low on wine, and made our dinner quite enjoyable.

Sunday morning we were going to head back across the border, and one of the hotel employees told us that we could get many of the same items on the US side along San Bernardo Avenue, so we decided to stay an extra day to check out these shops. We dined in the Tesoro Club again and enjoyed a wonderful Sunday Brunch – it was quite an extensive spread. After a few hours of shopping we again headed back to the hotel and spent the evening sipping margaritas by one of their two pools.

We need to come back again, because there were so many shops we didn’t get to, and because we just fell in love with the hotel. I was amazed that we were able to get New York quality food and accommodations on the border. We will be back…. Again and again and again!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank AustinTxTraveler2000
Reviewed September 4, 2007

Located right on the border with a clear view of the river and both border crossings, the hotel is great for those doing business in Mexico (which I was). We decided to walk across the border to avoid the obscenely long lines back into the US and even though it was a hot walk to the taxi stand on the Mexican side, I highly recommend it, we saved at least an hour wait coming back. The hotel is big and there is wide variation in room quality. My colleagues complained about their musty rooms but my new room on the concierge floor overlooking the river was huge and well appointed with a very nice bathroom. Ask for this floor but away from the main entrance since the concierge area can get busy and noisy. It's in a really quaint part of town with lots of old buildings that reminded me of New Orleans. Good food and nice service too.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank reallypickylady
Reviewed July 19, 2007

our organization had a medium sized conference (200 or so) at this hotel july 13 to 15 - the conference facilioties were nice, included breakfast was good (although the sweet rolls could have bene better, the bacon was good, the fruit aqnd oirange huice good) - we paid $85 per night plus tax - the restaurants here are expensive - at 10 pm on friday night i paid $17 for a chicken fied steak with diate coke (with tip) and we wainted an hour for our food when the restaurant was almost empty - soe of our party just got up an dleft (just before the food arrived) - teh chicken fried teak was good - one of the members of our party complained that the tortilla soup was too salty - the manger did offer us complimentary dessert - the cheesecake was good

twe arrived at 2:30 on friday - we had to wait until 3:45 to get a room - then they gave me a handicap accessible room which i did not ask for - for a person who doe snot need such facilities, a seat in the shower and low is not necessarily a plus - the front desk person could have informed me that they were giving me an accessible room

saturday aftrnoon, my room key would not work - had to wait inline at the front desk to get key reactivated

the hospitality room they gave us was nice

did not charge the $5 fee for parking

saturday night, had an expensive ($38) dinner at the tack room - the new yrok steip steak was good as was the salad and wedge potatoes but the proce was a bit high

the hotel staff were courteous, but the delay in check in was not good

i had stayed here wa couple of times in the early 1980's when i was a teenager with my parents and it was always a nice place

the snafu in the restaurant was unacceptablle - the meal should have been comped

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business