WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Ramada Plaza Laredo

Ramada Plaza Laredo
Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Laredo
San Antonio, Texas
“Rating the service and restaurant.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

The reason I am writing this review is to recommend their lunch buffet. Thursdays and Tuesdays is Mexican food buffet. Excellent! They have a taquito station, with Juan behind the grill offering different choices as if he were a host in his own home, very gracious and professional. The pozole was very good, as were the taquitos, the charro beans and the rice were also very good. Actually, everything I tried was delicious. The price does not include your drink, but that's okay, just come hungry so you can try different dishes. I took a spoonful of some dishes just to taste them, but I didn't try every dish. The dessert is not bad but not great, a pudding, a couple of different cakes and pie.
The last time I stayed here I was disappointed and chose the Courtyard by Marriott next door. I requested shuttle service in the morning but ended up driving myself because the driver couldn't find the keys, then he couldn't find the vehicle and seemed annoyed or indifferent at best.
This time NORMA was the driver, she was courteous, prompt and professional. If you use the shuttle and she's your driver please tip her well. She is a hardworker. I agree with another post, they don't have enough staff to run the place well.
The rooms are blah, but clean and adequate. Someone mentioned the neighborhood is not safe to walk at night, and they might be right, but this is not exactly a touristy spot.
JUAN and NORMA kept me from rating this place lower in service.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Hot Springs Village, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

We were overnighting before crossing border for Puerto Vallarta. The location is very convenient to the border crossing, they have a parking garage attached to the property which is nice. The check-in was smooth, the staff were all bi-lingual and eager to help with any requests. We did not use the restaurant or dine locally. Our room had a coffee maker (regular & decaf) and ice bucket. Complimentary newspapers were available in the lobby. The WiFi worked well and was included. Our room was large with a lounge chair and a separate area with work desk and chair. The A/C worked well. The bathroom was large and the shower worked great. The room was well maintained and clean however the property is ready for renovation. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

In Laredo for 3 day job so I only spent nights and morning there. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The bar was a bit overpriced but still had interesting nights as there were people from all corners of the globe. Wish I was there for the weekend, I hear the live entertainment on weekends is not to be missed.
The problems I found were the ac cutting of every 10 mins so I never felt comfortably cool sleeping. The walls were paper thin as I heard a man talking to his wife on the phone in the next room.
The location is not the greatest as just one block away there were several seedy motels with crackheads and 'working ladies'. Do not walk around at night.
I still think its worth a stay despite its shortcomings, would definitely be back for my bartender Josy.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Laredo, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear ramremodelingtx,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am so glad you liked the friendliness of our staff. I would like to apologize for the issues you had with your in-room Air-Conditioning system and the walls of your room that fell below you expectations. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know. Thank you for staying with us.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Elysian Fields, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

I stay here every month, I am a Platinum member. I recognize the fact that this is an old style H.I. and it is what it is. Check in is usually a long drawn out affair- not enough staff for the # of people trying to get in. The rooms are outdated as compared to most H.I.'s but that I guess is to be expected. I usually eat in the resturant and it is good- better than many others at other H.I.'s so no issues there.
The price is pretty good and I feel safe in the rooms. Would I walk the neighborhood at night? No.
I kind of like the under building parking.
There is nothing I actually dislike about this location but I guess I do not ever look forward to coming here. I never get upgraded or made to feel thanked for choosing this location over the other HIEX by the airport. No discount coupons for bar or restraunt ect. The beds and linens are all up to HI standareds.
You know what I do like? There is this pretty little courtyard that no one ever seems to use. I like to go and sit in the evening there. Hotel ought to consider putting more $ into the plantings. It is well maintained by the same man I see each time I am there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Located in a not-so-pleasant neighborhood. Not a safe place to walk around at night...rooms were warm, halls were hot...room basic, but clean...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Guanajuato, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

We've stayed here several times since 2010 and there's always a lot happening in the lobby. The live music coming from the bar is really loud and there's a lot of activity with people hanging out, coming and going. That's all in the lobby. Our rooms have always been quiet, clean and pleasant to sleep in. Parking is easy, there are places to walk to outside and the restaurant has good food.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

February 17 2012 stay
This hotel has goten just awful.
Bad service. Bad rooms. Music in the bar is horrible, and HORRiBLY LOUD!
Rude guests from Mexico, allowing their room doors to bang close, in their comings and goings. 'Yelling' up and down the halls to each other!
As a Priority Club member it's a shame to have to go elsewhere. But after staying at this hotel the past 10 years, every stay getting worse, and the hotel/staff don't care....
So, the hotel itself has forced us to seek other venues from now on Holiday Inn, Laredo.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Laredo, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
BotanicalSA,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We’re sorry that you received service that was less-than-satisfactory. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ben J
IHG Care

Travelers are raving about these Laredo hotels