“Good consistent hotel but beware of the FRAC”

Residence Inn Laredo Del Mar
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Laredo
Myrtle Beach
“Good consistent hotel but beware of the FRAC”
Reviewed July 12, 2011

The Residence Inn Laredo is a good hotel for the business traveler. They have reliable wireless internet, good morning breakfast, and a staff of people who are dedicated to helping you. Here are the following things I'd like to see improved:

- Get rid of the FRAC guys! Ok, if you don't know what this means, let me explain. I guess the surrounding Laredo area is booming at the moment with oil so the area is filled with people who work in the oilfields. The Residence Inn is booked with people who work in the oilfield and are commonly known in the Residence Inn as the "FRAC guys". These guys work out in the sun all day with tons of protective gear on in miserable conditions. So, when they get back to the hotel, they generally carry around a case of beer and congregate around the hotel and party like it's 1999. Ok, I'm over exaggerating a bit but it can be annoying. Tonight for example, I've had to call the front desk 2 times about telling them to shut up. It seems after the 2nd time they've mellowed out.

- The hotels needs an updating. The kitchen, pillows, bathroom and etc are beginning to show the effects of being warn down. This hotel is in need of renovation. However, it's plenty stay-able as it is. I wasn't happy with my pancake pillows so I had the front desk bring new ones up and it did the trick.

- The guys who run the breakfast and dinner seem to be a bit strange. I don't know what it is but they come off as they have something against me.

Overall, I would stay at this hotel all day rather than stay at the Spring Hill Suites because I know what I am getting here. At the Spring Hill Suites, everyday it was something different that was annoying me.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank MattVsFood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed January 17, 2010

Last year, I left this hotel a decent review, however, upon my return this year, I wonder did I eat last year, because clearly I would have remembered not to. I found both the breakfast and evening food inedible. Neither my colleague or I could eat anything in the evening except the salad. The hot food in the morning was always cold. This hotel also has a good of young men rooming there for a local fire firghters training (last year also), so breakfast and evening cocktails are very crowded. This year I also used the very teeny tiny gym. Two treadmills, one recumbent bike, and one stair stepper and a few free weights. That is it.
the staff is still nice, but I think its back to the Embassy Suites for me next time, although I do prefer Marriotts.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Hamilton
Reviewed May 15, 2009

We stayed here from April 3 -6/09. We were completely impressed with this hotel. It felt more like home than anything else. I was pleasantly surprised to see that this was a smoke free hotel. I have never felt more welcome at a hotel than the staff made us feel here. We have travelled extensively and this hotel and the staff will definitely be remembered fondly. The staff couldn't do enough for us. Upon check out we realized that my husband left his wallet locked in the safety deposit box at the front desk. We notified the staff upon our arrival home (Canada) and they sent the wallet complete with all of it's contents to our home in a timely fashion. I knew that we wouldn't have a problem retrieving his wallet because after meeting and interacting with the staff, I knew that they were trustworthy and very accommodating. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to visit Laredo, TX.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
kt2184
Reviewed May 5, 2008

This Hotels is one of the nicest hotels i've ever stayed at and definetly the friendliest. The staff is amazing, very friendly and helpful. The rooms were spotless, huge and extremely comfortable. They offer a very large selection of breakfast foods at there complimentary breakfast and on the weekdays they offer a complimentary dinner, not any thing too fancy...hot dogs and hamburger, pizza, etc., but it was nice. The location is great right by all the restaurants, the mall, stores and a grocery store. We didn't have a car so it was nice to be able to walk everywhere. But when we didn't feel like walking the hotel offered a shuttle service that would take you and pick you up from anywhere you wanted to go and there was never a long wait for them. We will defintely stay here again.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
League City-Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 13, 2007

First, let me start by acknowleding the fact that Laredo is not Las Vegas...or Los Angeles...or Houston for that matter. With this out of the way, I was born in Laredo and visited my relatives every summer after moving away. Fast forward 20+ yrs, I return with wife and child for a funeral. Wife is very skeptical about coming, in light of all the violence that is reported in Nuevo Laredo and fearing for the safety of our child. I tried to find a hotel that is "nice" and ran into the Residence Inn website. Looked nice on the pics, but we all know pictures dont always tell the whole story. Well, in this case, they didn't tell the whole story either. They left out the FANTASTIC staff! The very, very clean hotel! The super clean and modern rooms!!! This was a hell of a find!!! Right next door is a very upscale looking Chinese restaurant. Also, you are on the freeway which puts you minutes from everything. Everything!! We got on the freeway, u-turned and were at the International Bridge in less than 10 minutes. Very cool. The big mall there, Mall DelNorte, is 2 minutes from the hotel. Needless to say, wife and kid had a great time (aside from our reason for being there). Little story to emphasize my point about the staff...I called down to the front desk to ask about a local Ticketmaster (we needed to buy tix for an event in Houston). The front desk person, Maria, thought there was a Ticketmaster in Dillards or Macy's. Anyhow, 2 minutes later she called up to our room to let us know that she called Macy's and they did have a ticketmaster that opened at 10:00. I'm just not used to that kind of personal customer attention.
I know that sometimes when I look at these reviews I like to find out what's near the hotel. Well, aside from the mall which has everything, we had breakfast at Denny's (there is a free breakfast at the hotel), and a heck of dinner at Outback Steakhouse (all on the Southbound feeder). Oh yeah....all this for 89$/night! We robbed them blind. Enjoy, we did.

Stayed January 2007
7 Thank chud2112
Munich, Germany
Reviewed August 18, 2006

It was wonderful! I had never stayed there, but the rooms are very big, like a studio suite with a fully equipped kitchen, after a full day of shopping it is great to come in here and relax with some tidbits from the supermarket rather than sitting in a restaurant.
Would definetely stay again.

• Liked — The fully equipped kitchen and spave
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple