“Working in Laredo for 9 months”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Family Garden Inn

Family Garden Inn
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Laredo
Texas
“Working in Laredo for 9 months”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

I am working in Laredo for the next 9 months. I have been living at Family Garden inn for over a month already and it has been AWESOME. I've worked all over the United States living out of a suit case for going on 5 years now and Family Garden's staff has gone out of it's way to accommodate my needs and comfort since day one. Joseph and his staff are fantastic hosts offering FREE Breakfast 6-9AM, FREE Hot dags, Nachos and BEER... YES, I said FREE BEER every day from 6-8PM. The view from my room is AWESOME with a pond, Tropical plants and a fountain outside my PRIVATE patio. Room service available from 6PM - 9PM. The food and rates are great. I can't say enough about Family Garden. It's a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank tobyntx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Monterrey, Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

So my family and I went on shopping to Laredo Texas (we live in Monterrey, Mexico) and decided to stay a night there. We were 5 so it was kind of difficult to find a one 5 persons room. We got there and the lady at the registration desk was very friendly.

They gave us the room key and it was a nightmare trying to find our room, it was in the next building and just in the corner. There were no signs to get there. When we got, it looked like a 1970's room with no update at all!

Beds were terrible, and all the furniture was old and dusty.

Please DON'T stay there, the worst thing is that is an expensive hotel for what you get.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank eidrien
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2011

Thread bare towels, tiny bathroom (single stall shower!)
Wired internet (really? in 2011? WIRED?)
HORRIBLE attitude from staff (basically fend for yourself because we don't care)
On the up side... several hot tubs in the indoor garden, free hot dogs, chips,and beer at the nightly happy hour tent (along with other food for sale, cash only)
Overall, if you JUST need a warm bed, quick shower, and go... It's not the worst place out there, but don't expect to relax and enjoy a long stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Morgans Point Resort, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2010

I was sent with a group of fellow colleagues for a business convention, and most of us booked our rooms at this hotel at the suggestion of our boss (who stayed there a few times back in the day). The front desk wasn't all that impressive, so we didn't understand what the big fuss was about. After being told about the free happy hour starting in an hour-- which included free beer! Seriously?!-- we started to get it. After finding our way to our room, directly in front of the pool/cabana, we REALLY started to get it. Each room has their own private patio area to just sit and relax, which is exactly what we needed after a long day of meetings. Also, there's a separate building across the way with a waterfall and hottubs in the middle of a rainforest-type area. It was really unique, and great for just soaking and unwinding.

The rooms were clean and smelled really nice, though we had someone perpetually smoking on the next door patio, and the smoke wafted into our room from time to time. The rooms looked fairly new, with flatscreen tvs and pretty comfy beds. We requested extra towels for the hot tub, and someone from the front desk brought them to us herself, which was really nice. We had little kids running around and yelling outside our room around 10 or 11, but called the front desk and the kids shut up pretty quickly. Not sure if that was due to the front desk or their parents, but regardless...

In the morning, there's a free breakfast setup at the cabana (same place as the happy hour), with your normal hotel breakfast fare-- cereal, fruit, muffins, and the like. Nothing special, but we did enjoy the free hot dogs and nachos (and BEER!) again that second night to make up for it.

Overall, I'd say it's not the Omni (then again, I don't want to pay for the Omni...). It's a quaint place with a lot of personality. I've never been to a hotel that has such an interesting layout-- it's really different. The cabana is a huge plus (as is the little convenience store by the front desk for those forgotten items or a late-night snack. There's no mini-bar or anything in the rooms, so at least you have a backup plan if you want a Snickers at 2 am), and the rainforest/waterfall area is beautiful. I don't see myself going back to Laredo for any reason any time soon, but if I do, I'll definitely stay here. It's a great value for the price...

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Monterrey, Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2010

This is a TERRIBLE AND FILTHY HOTEL. We stayed there because we had no choice, everything was full. At $90 a night, in a city where $60-$80 is the average for a nice and clean hotel, this was a rip-off. The walls have terrible smoke stains, the carpet is filthy, the shower is moldy, every corner was completely dirty. And the bed... I still cannot believe I slept in it. It smelled terrible, and you could feel bumps all over. I slept with all my clothes on, and with an extra clothes change layed over the pillow and sheets. And still I got a bug bite on my leg!!! I could not bear to touch anything with my skin!!! Seriously, do not stay here! Make your reservation with time and not even 50ft away you find a better, cleaner, and cheaper hotel. Ugh I wish I had taken pictures to show you.

We were in room 275, 2nd floor of the Garden Square.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank ggbsy
Lexington NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2010

The rooms in this hotel are nothing out of the ordinary, but it's whats outside the rooms that makes this such a unique place to stay.
It is made up of 2 separate U-shaped, 2-story buildings each with it's own unique perks but all guests have access to both. There is a common patio running all the way around the buildings with tables and chairs so you can sit and enjoy the lovely landscaping.
The main building has a nice outdoor pool with a cool water spa and a separate hot tub. There is also a wonderful playground for the kids.
In the center of the yard is a large pavillion with many activities.
In the morning you'll find the usual free continental breakfast but you can also purchase asst. egg platters and breakfast burrittos cooked to order.
In the evening from 6-8 you will find Free popcorn, nachos, hotdogs, lemonade and draft beer. You can also purchase 2.00 margaritas.
Frijitas and Steak dinners are also available. The steaks are cooked over an open flame and taste wonderful. Sirloins are 10.00, T-bones are 12.00 and Ribeyes are 15.00. The sides are limited to bland beans, rice and potato salad but the steak is well worth the money. They will also deliver dinner to your room.
The second building has a large enclosed yard landscaped like a tropical rain forest with a winding stream and beautiful stone pathways that lead to 2 large hot tubs hidden in the follage at opposite ends of the yard. Very romantic and relaxing.
Note.. people with breathing problems might want to request the main building because you have to walk through the rain forest to get to your room and it is extreemly hot and humid. But the air conditioner in our room was more than adaquate.
The rooms are small but comfortable and clean.
They have a microwave, small fridge, nice TV, a chair and a small desk.
The bed was very comfortable but the pillows are very fat and firm.
The bathroom was small with a tiny stall shower and the towels were scratchy but they were clean and thicker than most.
There are also suites available with more room.
Another nice perk was checkout isn't until 1:00.
The staff is very friendly and check in was quick.
There is a small convienence store inside the lobby with drinks, beer and snacks.
If you are taking the shuttle from one of the trucking companies it will probably take about and hour and a half to get to you and keep in mind that it doesn't leave in the morning until 9:30. There is bobtail parking for about 8-10 trucks outside the second building but it's probably a good idea to call ahead and make sure there is an empty spot cause the lot was full when we were there.
This was a very nice break from the same old same old. We will be back the next time we're layed over in Laredo.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank jjkeaton
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2010

Some of my girlfriends and I went down for a week-end for business shopping. I called ahead and spoke with Joanie (the owner). Just speaking with her on the phone made me feel as though they would do whatever we needed and were actually anxious to meet us. We are a bunch of "Old Gals". We had car trouble on the way and advised them that we would be much later than thought. When we arrived they were more than gracious and helpful. The rooms aren't that spectacular, but they make up for it in every way possible. The have a large BBQ area near the pool, where they have continental breakfast and delicious, fabulous steaks and other goodies in the evenings. To sum it all up, we were treated like family and got to know the owner while we were there and by the time we left we all felt like we had another daughter.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends