“Disgusting”

Holiday Inn Express Lakeway
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Lakeway
Reviewed September 4, 2013

When we opened the sofa bed at night for our daughter there was a sheet on the bed covered in fresh, red blood. We call the front desk and the night manager who was very apologetic. Unfortunately the second set of sheets were only slightly better. There were old blood stains all over that sheet as well.. There were also blood stains on the wallpaper in the bathroom. Hotel took $50 off my bill (which was about $150). I guess they figure a 33% discount was the appropriate rate for bloody sheets. Of course no one slept at all that night. We would have left that night but for the fact it was after 11pm and we couldn't find anywhere else to stay at that time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Joy H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lakeway, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Joy H,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the bed sheets and housekeeping. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I do not understand how a major hotel chain can expect guests to pay over $180.00 for a room in TEXAS that never gets below 78 degrees. I want my money back. It was sooooooooooo hot in my room from the minute I checked in and called down to complain until I left the next day still sweating as I was packing and loading up my car to get the hell out of this place. What a joke. Come on, fix your air conditioners!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lakeway, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Kay S,

Regards,

Brenda J.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I had my hopes high for this hotel because of great experiences in the past with Holiday Inn Express. Unfortunately, I was disappointed for MANY reasons starting with check-in.

PROS: Prompt service when asked for extra towels, clean room and bathroom, decent price, microwave and kitchen sink in room

CONS:

1. Called ahead to have a room with a refrigerator to store breast milk. Was told it would cost $10 extra, and I agreed, so was told my room would have one. Upon arrival, clerk told me our room did NOT have a refrigerator and had no information that I had even requested one. Strike 1.

2. Upon further talking to this clerk about our refrigerator, he "suddenly" realized there was a room available with a refrigerator and that we could have said room. Gave us our keys, went up to room, and discovered THERE WAS NO REFRIGERATOR IN IT. Strike 2.

3. I needed to nurse our baby then, so I stayed in the room while my husband went down to visit front desk again. He told the clerk, politely but angry, there was no refrigerator. Clerk informed us that one could be installed right away. My husband responded with, "That's great, but do NOT install it right now, my wife is in the room nursing our baby." What do you know, less than five minutes later a maintenance worker knocks on our door while I'm nursing to install the fridge! STRIKE THREE. I was pretty upset.

4. The breakfast buffet was supremely lacking. The pancake machine was broken. The orange juice was completely gone at 7:00 am when the breakfast opened, and when I informed a worker there of the problem, her response was "okay, thanks," then continued wiping down tables. Never refilled orange juice. Coffee tasted like water. Only a few apples and oranges as fresh fruit, nothing else.

The maintenance worker coming to install our fridge, which was already supposed to be in our room, while I was nursing, was the worst part of our experience. This after we told the front desk explicitly to NOT install it while I was feeding our baby.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the second floor by the lobby. Way too noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jkr06

Dear jkr06,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests and for that please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced and if our hotel fell below your expectations in many aspects. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future and show you just how much we care about delivering an above average experience.

Krysllin G

Reviewed July 21, 2013

As being someone who doesn't like to spend a lot of money on a hotel, I can truly say the money is worth it here! The hotel lobby is outstanding, the staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and smelled amazing. The room even had a digital AC thermostat which allowed you to set your own temperature like at home. The beds were extremely comfortable. When visiting the pool we had to go to the front desk and request towels, as the towel stand next to the pool was completely empty. The pool was very relaxing and the spa was outstanding. The overall pool area is amazing. Everything is brand new in this hotel. The shower design wasn't the best as it leaked on the floor when showering, however it wasn't the end of the world. The breakfast bar was fresh with many options. I would defiantly stay at this hotel again. Well worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Thomas1859
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel was recommended by locals and we had never been to Austin before, so we figured we would take their advice. This hotel was fabulous. Brand new. Great location. Very safe and very clean. Great pool. Kid friendly. Hot breakfast. Very happy with our stay here. You get what you pay for. Very nice staff.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Fast check in, clean hotel, small work out area, small pool, decent included breakfast. So what was wrong? No hot water in the shower. You really need to fix this problem. A minor problem is the coffee pot in the bathroom. Sorry but that just doesn't work for me. Do you have any idea how many germs are in there. The bed was great, the staff was very good but I want my hot shower.

Room Tip: Ask for one that has hot water, the clerk said they are aware of the problem and are working on it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NurseSherry
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lakeway, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear NurseSherry,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Connie D

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Lakeway this past weekend, the 3-day holiday weekend in the US for Memorial Day, as part of a wedding party booking. Overall, the hotel is very nice and has great amenities. Everything is brand new and nicely done - I believe the hotel has only been open about 2 months. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and as far as an "express" hotel goes, this hotel is top notch. Pool is lovely, breakfast offering included in the rate is more than just a basic continental - includes eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits & gravy etc. Parking is complimentary and plentiful. There are several restaurants around the area to eat - nothing I found outstanding, but adequate. There's also a small shop in the hotel with basic sundries offered at premium pricing.

I have only a few suggestions that I believe are simply part of working out the "kinks" as you get your new staff up and running:
- The pool did not seem to be cleaned every day. There were a lot of bugs in it from overnight and there didn't seem to be someone responsible for skimming the pool each morning.
- Our room was booked as a "suite". We assumed this was a suite as we've seen at other hotels with a separate bedroom area - this was not the case. The room is pretty small and cramped with 2 queen beds, a sofa and small dining table for 2, sink/fridge/microwave. We had 4 adults in the room and an infant, and this was very tight quarters for a 3 day weekend. Suggest this "suite" classification be renamed to something a little more accurate.
- The amenities for the bathroom were not restocked each day (ie: shampoo) and we had to make a point to ask the cleaning staff to please give these each day.
- The hotel offers complimentary wi-fi throughout the building, but the reception is awful. It's nearly impossible to get a signal and when you do, it's a very weak one. Kind of surprised about this for such a new hotel.

If you are not familiar with the Lakeway area, plan your arrival accordingly: traffic along RM620 can be awful during rush hour or a holiday weekend, and the stop and go can add a lot of extra time to your trip.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a true "suite", there is only one in the entire hotel that includes...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Luv2dance75
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeway
Lakeway Resort and Spa
The Shores at Lake Travis
The Shores at Lake Travis
#1 of 1 in Lago Vista
Mountain Star Lodge and Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Express Lakeway? Share your experiences!