“Classic Interior Mexican Dining”
Review of Santa Catarina

Santa Catarina
Ranked #1 of 60 Restaurants in Lakeway
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Phone 512.300.0946. Please add Santa Catarina restaurant to your listing. Santa Catarina is a unique boutique restaurant that serves interior mexican food.
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Three friends and I savored a long, leisurely lunch at Santa Catarina on Memorial Day, seated at an outdoor table on the patio, surrounded by flowerboxes of colorful petunias. The Peruvian Margarita was fantastic! The tortilla soup was thick with tender pork strips. The ingredients in all our meals were fresh. Best of all, if you are weary of restaurants that serve way-too-big portions, the portion sizes at Santa Catarina are sensible and satisfying. We did not feel rushed. The waiter was attentive and cheerful. The parking was plentiful. The prices, especially the lunch specials, were very reasonable. A delightful dining experience, we cannot wait to go again.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stopped in at Santa Catarina on the way home a few days ago. There is ample parking in front of the restaurant which is located in a medium size commercial building group just off of RR 620 South. There are quite a few tables outside but it was warm so we headed inside. The interior was cool, nicely decorated and clean.

We were greeted immediately and seated promptly. Two of us ordered margaritas and one had a glass of Tolosa wine. The flavored, frozen margaritas were (as is usually the case in Austin) on the sweet side but not as bad as some others. We chose some guacamole and chips along with the chili con queso for appetizers. Both were very good and of sufficient quantity for three people. HInt: ask for a basket of the chips that come with the guacamole instead of the standard tortilla chips.

We ordered the Tacos de Carne (beef) and the De Mariscos relleno for our main course. Again both entrees were very tasty and well presented. The menu is definitely not the usual Tex-Mex fare. More authentic interior Mexico style. Our server was never far away and kept us supplied with drink refills. It was a pleasant dining experience. The only down side I could find is the sweetness of the margaritas and the price of the wine ($12 per glass). Our bar bill was more than the food!

Bottom line is that Santa Catarina is a good place to visit. They have lunch, brunch and dinner menus, drink specials and a happy hour. If one avoids brand-name, expensive wines, the tab is quite reasonable.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Be prepared for Google maps and current GPS navigation systems to not send you to the exact location. It took us a LONG time and some backtracking to find it in the dark. It was pretty late by the time we arrived on a Friday night, so their crowd was clearing out. That being said, the service should have been considerably more attentive. There were VERY long gaps between getting cocktails, appetizers, entrees, checks, etc. It seemed inexcusable to me. However, the margaritas were AMAZING! I think my guava rocks margarita (sans salt) is the best margarita I've had a restaurant in a three-county area surrounding Austin. I'll go again just for more. And the portions are pleasingly large. My partner and I shared the Queso Fundido: it was good, but not great--somewhat underwhelming. He ordered the Pechuga Mole, which he said was just okay. I ordered the Relleno De Huitlacoche, which I thought was amazing. I especially loved the red sauce it rested in--almost like a thin, spicy tomato broth. I just wish we wouldn't have had to wait for it all so long. Another couple we know dined there earlier the same night, and they liked their drinks but not their food--he ordered the drum and said it wasn't fresh. I've heard from friends their brunch is out of this world; but the dinners were a mixed bag.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Enjoyed this well decorated restaurant in the Lakeway area outside of Austin. Good quality Mexican food with a nice area outside for dining that is a little quieter.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We really love this cute Mexican restaurant in our little corner of Austin. We have eaten here on many occasions, mostly dinner but we also did a Sunday brunch as well. The food is always very good and the service is reliable. We seldom have to wait too long to be seated which is a big plus. My husband always gets the cucumber margarita, and even though my frozen agave margarita is delicious, I am always a little envious of his. I have tried several entrees, including the Relleno Huitlacoche and the Veracruz-style Shrimp Fajitas, but my favorite is the Cochinita Pibil, pulled pork perfectly seasoned and cooked in banana leaves. Delicious! We are very happy with this place and will go back often.

Been to Santa Catarina? Share your experiences!