“Beautiful views!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Island on Lake Travis

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lago Vista
The Island on Lake Travis
Alexandria, Virginia
“Beautiful views!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Island is a gorgeous condo complex on Lake Travis. The condo's are privately owned, so I can only comment on the particular one that we stayed in. The grounds are lovely, with groups of deer roaming around. There are three pools, a fitness center & a bar/restaurant. There were tons of kids for my son to play with. There are a few restaurants nearby, but the majority are quite a distance away. I don't think that this is the place for serious party people. The long, twisty road home really makes you fear having any alcohol & trying to drive back. Overall we had a great time & will go back again!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank GaOnMyMind6

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Johnson City, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

We enjoyed our stay here, but it is quite isolated from dining & shopping. It also had a bit of a deserted feel to it as there didn't appear to be many guests. We enjoyed the pools and the grounds, and especially enjoyed the deer. Our room was clean and spacious and we liked the code entry on the doors rather than key, so you didn't have to keep up with a key. Our unit didn't have any information about how to get into the indoor pool or anything about area sites/attractions, so that would have been a nice addition. There were movies & games in our room, which the kids enjoyed. The layout of the property is confusing, as the rooms don't seem to be in numerical order.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GAGirl2216
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

My fiance and I stayed here for a weekend last summer. The condo we rented was very pretty and the grounds were well maintained.There are deer all over the grounds which I loved. I am very particular about where I stay and this place was wonderful. I am planning to come back this summer. You really won't find a better place for the value.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angela T
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

We stayed as a guest of a condo owner in building three on the first floor, facing the lake. The lake is very low, but was still quite a pretty view with the rocky sides and all. The unit itself was updated and immaculately clean. It was a small unit but perfect for our family of three. Many of these rental units are also pet friendly.

Beware if you are not a dog lover, there was a high frequency of barking during our stay due to all the dog residents and guests.

Make sure to feed the deer. We had 12 surrounding us to eat the bread we brought.

Room Tip: Make sure you are choosing a renovated unit, this is an older property and with the individually own...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
New Braunfels, Tx.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed in one of the small studio condos, #1114, for the weekend of October 8th 2011. On the positive side, the rental price was fair for the unit except for the cleaning and booking fee. The grounds around the facility were well manicured and pretty, but the overall ambience was lacking, as there was no lake because the river was 50 ft below normal elevation.
The negatives are as follows:
1. You are charged for the full rental in advance, and it’s totally non refundable within 30 days of arrival.
2. They also charge an additional $7.50 booking fee and a $50 cleaning fee.
3. They require your signature on a four page legal contract that must be returned before they will accept your deposit. Info in your apartment states that at checkout all the dishes are to be washed, the beds stripped, the linens placed in the tub, and the trash carried out. Your signed contract states that failure to handle the dishes and garbage results in an additional $100 charge, and if you’re after 11:00 AM checking out you will be charged another ½ day’s rent.
4. Their restaurant and bar grill are only open Friday and Saturday evenings. It’s a 14 miles round trip to the closest grocery store and a couple of local eateries in Lago Vista.
5. There isn’t an internet connection in the apartments, but we learned upon leaving that wi-fi should be available in the pool area. Emergency answering service didn't know this!
6. There was no phone in our apartment.
7. There’s no on premises office staff on the weekends and the help number, assuming, you have a cell phone, takes you to an out of state answering service geared to handling only major emergencies.
8. Parking is on the lower level and no hotel type valet carriers were available to transport your stuff.
9. Problems in our 'updated' apartment were; dirty carpet, no light in the closet, missing light in the kitchen, handle that continuously fell off the bathroom door, and a refrigerator so noisy it had to be unplugged to sleep.
10. As mentioned by other reviewers, the office staff promised to get back with us, but never did, concerning problems we mentioned at checkout.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank AB_NewBraunfels
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

What a great place the Island is! We had a wonderful time during our short getaway. There were four of us, including our two children. We stayed at condo# 1110. It is furnished tastefully and offers everything one might need. We found it perfect! It is located close to one of the pools, but, being a courtside condo, it was really peaceful and quiet. In other words we had the convenience of a close pool access, but the advantage of being away from the noise there, as it might get a little noisy during the peak hours. The setting of the Island is really beautiful! This is the place if you are looking for a quiet and relaxing getaway. In addition to the convenience and beauty of the place, we have to share how grateful we are to the owner of the condo – Paul Richmond! My husband lost his wallet during our stay. We didn’t think we’d find it, but we mentioned our situation to Paul and asked him to contact us in case it comes up somewhere around the condo. Paul showed a lot of concern with our matter and even went through the trouble of going to the condo himself and looking around. He found the wallet, notified us and arranged for having it sent to us. Thank you, Paul, for your honesty and great kindness! It becomes harder these days to come across people like you; so, we really appreciate all that you did! The Island security staff was also very responsive and showed readiness to assist us on the matter. We are grateful to them as well! So, definitely visit the Island… and condo # 1110!  You’ll enjoy it!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank DiyanaD97
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

My husband and I enjoyed it so much we have discussed buying one of the units. We live in Houston so this is the perfect weekend get away.

We stayed in a unit with a balcony view of the smaller pool and lake. We really enjoyed it! There are three pools (two outside, one inside that is heated during winter), a bar/restaraunt, work out facilities, laundry room, a spa...it is just like a resort but you have the ammenities of a condo/apartment complex in that you have a kitchen, seperate living area and bedroom, etc. I think units come in many sizes (i.e. 1-3 bedrooms, studio, etc.) so you can probably find a unit that fits your needs.

While we went jet skiing ourselves and took a dip in the pool and enjoyed walking the property, my favorite part was just sitting on the balcony and people watching those below in the pool, watching the boaters as they passed and viewing the sunset. There is also a nearby winery that had good tastings and food. We went there and enjoyed our time.

We did not try the spa or on-site restaraunt as the condo had a kitchen and it was just a very short drive in to lago vista to get fast food and a pizza. However, I liked the fact that it was available.

I think most of the units are owned, but some are rentals. Most of the people there who I talked to who were renting were families, empty nesters, etc up for the weekend from Austin, Houston, etc. There was a group of college aged kids that got a little loud and were drinking down at the pool. They did not bother my husband and I (we were actually quite entertained by them) but an older, disgruntled man came out and said something cratchity to them about them being too loud and they then disbanded shortly thereafter and went back to their unit. We heard them again about 1 or so in the morning. It was a little annoying, but later we learned it was also college graduation weekend so I think this situation must have been out of the ordinary. I also am guessing that this was not a typical situation because the older man was so disgruntled over their behavior that I have to guess that these situations are not common place around the resort.

Also, be sure to feed corn to the deer! They are so tame, they will eat out of your hand...or even your pocket!

In sum, I have stayed at many other condo complexes over the years and this is the nicest one I have stayed at that I can think of off the top of my head. I will concede that it isn't quite a 5-star luxury resort, but in alot of ways it is better because you do have your own little "apartment" with kitchen, etc instead of just a room. I highly recommend!!!

Room Tip: Get a unit facing the deeper part of Lake Travis. The lake is so low that some units now overlook a...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
#8 of 197 in Austin
La Villa Vista
La Villa Vista
#9 of 36 in Austin

Been to The Island on Lake Travis? Share your experiences!