The Island on Lake Travis
Lakeway Resort and Spa(Lakeway)(Great Value!)
$219
Holiday Inn Express Lakeway(Lakeway)(Great Value!)
$184
$144
HIExpress.com
$120
Travelocity
Sonesta Bee Cave Austin(Bee Cave)(Great Value!)
$159
Sonesta Hotels
Comfort Inn Cedar Park(Cedar Park)(Great Value!)
$81
Best Western Cedar Inn(Cedar Park)(Great Value!)
$85
The Bungalows Hotel & Event Center(Cedar Park)(Great Value!)
$73
$71
Travelocity
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsindoor poolhot tubcondodeerspapropertyamenitiestexas
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed in one of the small studio condos, #1114, for the weekend of October 8th 2011. On the positive side, the rental price was fair for the unit except for the cleaning and booking fee. The grounds around the facility were well manicured and pretty, but the overall ambience was lacking, as there was no lake because the river was 50 ft below normal elevation.
The negatives are as follows:
1. You are charged for the full rental in advance, and it’s totally non refundable within 30 days of arrival.
2. They also charge an additional $7.50 booking fee and a $50 cleaning fee.
3. They require your signature on a four page legal contract that must be returned before they will accept your deposit. Info in your apartment states that at checkout all the dishes are to be washed, the beds stripped, the linens placed in the tub, and the trash carried out. Your signed contract states that failure to handle the dishes and garbage results in an additional $100 charge, and if you’re after 11:00 AM checking out you will be charged another ½ day’s rent.
4. Their restaurant and bar grill are only open Friday and Saturday evenings. It’s a 14 miles round trip to the closest grocery store and a couple of local eateries in Lago Vista.
5. There isn’t an internet connection in the apartments, but we learned upon leaving that wi-fi should be available in the pool area. Emergency answering service didn't know this!
6. There was no phone in our apartment.
7. There’s no on premises office staff on the weekends and the help number, assuming, you have a cell phone, takes you to an out of state answering service geared to handling only major emergencies.
8. Parking is on the lower level and no hotel type valet carriers were available to transport your stuff.
9. Problems in our 'updated' apartment were; dirty carpet, no light in the closet, missing light in the kitchen, handle that continuously fell off the bathroom door, and a refrigerator so noisy it had to be unplugged to sleep.
10. As mentioned by other reviewers, the office staff promised to get back with us, but never did, concerning problems we mentioned at checkout.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AB_NewBraunfels
Reviewed August 29, 2011

What a great place the Island is! We had a wonderful time during our short getaway. There were four of us, including our two children. We stayed at condo# 1110. It is furnished tastefully and offers everything one might need. We found it perfect! It is located close to one of the pools, but, being a courtside condo, it was really peaceful and quiet. In other words we had the convenience of a close pool access, but the advantage of being away from the noise there, as it might get a little noisy during the peak hours. The setting of the Island is really beautiful! This is the place if you are looking for a quiet and relaxing getaway. In addition to the convenience and beauty of the place, we have to share how grateful we are to the owner of the condo – Paul Richmond! My husband lost his wallet during our stay. We didn’t think we’d find it, but we mentioned our situation to Paul and asked him to contact us in case it comes up somewhere around the condo. Paul showed a lot of concern with our matter and even went through the trouble of going to the condo himself and looking around. He found the wallet, notified us and arranged for having it sent to us. Thank you, Paul, for your honesty and great kindness! It becomes harder these days to come across people like you; so, we really appreciate all that you did! The Island security staff was also very responsive and showed readiness to assist us on the matter. We are grateful to them as well! So, definitely visit the Island… and condo # 1110!  You’ll enjoy it!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank DiyanaD97
Reviewed August 25, 2011

My husband and I enjoyed it so much we have discussed buying one of the units. We live in Houston so this is the perfect weekend get away.

We stayed in a unit with a balcony view of the smaller pool and lake. We really enjoyed it! There are three pools (two outside, one inside that is heated during winter), a bar/restaraunt, work out facilities, laundry room, a spa...it is just like a resort but you have the ammenities of a condo/apartment complex in that you have a kitchen, seperate living area and bedroom, etc. I think units come in many sizes (i.e. 1-3 bedrooms, studio, etc.) so you can probably find a unit that fits your needs.

While we went jet skiing ourselves and took a dip in the pool and enjoyed walking the property, my favorite part was just sitting on the balcony and people watching those below in the pool, watching the boaters as they passed and viewing the sunset. There is also a nearby winery that had good tastings and food. We went there and enjoyed our time.

We did not try the spa or on-site restaraunt as the condo had a kitchen and it was just a very short drive in to lago vista to get fast food and a pizza. However, I liked the fact that it was available.

I think most of the units are owned, but some are rentals. Most of the people there who I talked to who were renting were families, empty nesters, etc up for the weekend from Austin, Houston, etc. There was a group of college aged kids that got a little loud and were drinking down at the pool. They did not bother my husband and I (we were actually quite entertained by them) but an older, disgruntled man came out and said something cratchity to them about them being too loud and they then disbanded shortly thereafter and went back to their unit. We heard them again about 1 or so in the morning. It was a little annoying, but later we learned it was also college graduation weekend so I think this situation must have been out of the ordinary. I also am guessing that this was not a typical situation because the older man was so disgruntled over their behavior that I have to guess that these situations are not common place around the resort.

Also, be sure to feed corn to the deer! They are so tame, they will eat out of your hand...or even your pocket!

In sum, I have stayed at many other condo complexes over the years and this is the nicest one I have stayed at that I can think of off the top of my head. I will concede that it isn't quite a 5-star luxury resort, but in alot of ways it is better because you do have your own little "apartment" with kitchen, etc instead of just a room. I highly recommend!!!

Room Tip: Get a unit facing the deeper part of Lake Travis. The lake is so low that some units now overlook a dry lake bed instead of the lake.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ibackbevo
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Wife and I went with our son (one year old). Lago Vista is a nice place to stay. Very quiet area. The Island on Lake Travis is sort of a strange resort. It essentially is an apartment complex on a great piece of real estate. Was told by some staff that about 50% of the unit owners actually live there primarily.

Things to be aware of.
1. You are isolated on the island. Lago is an older area. Older families and residential. So if you are looking for a crazy beer drinking time and "party like a rock star" you may want to look elsewhere.

2. WASPS!!!! As my review title implies. They are everywhere!!! This is a property issue and not an issue of my individual unit owner. I am not over exaggerating. Every piece of recess lighting has them nesting or trying to nest. Every front door light cover has them. Every tree in the courtyards has them. And worst of all every back deck/balcony has them. We had a 2nd story balcony that we were never able to enjoy. As a wasp would "buzz" you every couple minutes. The property manager needs to address this as they really are everywhere. All types of stinging insects are represented. Red wasps, black wasps, bees, and I believe a couple yellow jackets.

Our individual unit was 2213 (tripadvisor I am not sure if including a unit number is allowed so please delete if not). I have to say this unit was very nice. Small one bedroom which is all we needed. Well furnished and decorated. Great location with a corner deck overlooking Lake Travis. However, again the wasps do not really allow you to enjoy this.

They have a little bar and restaurant on site that was nice. Quiet, but I was told it can get rowdy depending on who is renting at the time. My 3 beers did not constitute a rowdy time.

Golf in the area. Two courses are nearby. Lago Vista GC and Highland Lakes. Both have been bought/taken over by the City of Lago Vista as the previous owners let them deteriorate. They are both coming along nicely. Greens were surprising but fairways are not filled in (to be fair they are very open with this info) yet. Both are very short. And very hilly (it is the "hill country") so you can pretty much leave your driver at home.

I hope this helps people. If you are allergic to insect stings, stay away!

Room Tip: #2213 was very nice. Only one bedroom.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mexicohangover
Reviewed January 27, 2011

My wife and were very taken back by the location of The Island, It is right in the middle of the lake surrounded by beauty! I had no idea Texas had something like this to offer! Our villa was gorgeous and better than most nice hotel hotel rooms (our friends were a little less fortunate and did not get as nice of a room as we did but they paid less for it). All of the ammenities were very nice. We all enjoyed massages in the day spa and had a nice dinner at the bar and grill. We spent the days lounging by the pool, we played a round of golf at a neighboring golf course, and relaxed by the pool. My wife and I plan to come back again next month for a quick weekend get-away. We will stay in the same villa we stayed in previously to ensure another relaxing weekend away from home.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple