“Excellent Stay"”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in La Porte
Houston, Texas
“Excellent Stay"”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We had a relaxing weekend gateway away from home. My first impression of the hotel not happy.. I think it needs updating. Even though it looks nice!The rooms are very large and clean, but the towels were a little worn out. But Slept really good though. I must say, We enjoyed the breakfast the most. Overall the hotel is nice and clean but needs some serious makeover. The staff was very friendly, and made me feel very welcome. I surely recommend staying at this hotel..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Totally impressed with the size and cleanliness of the hotel. Everything is new, the staff was excellent and congenial. Breakfast was great and breakfast area was excellent.
Review would have been 5 star except for 2 items. Both items can be and was worked around. The first was the set up of the closet. Clothes rod was just above room safe and didn't give enough room to hang up clothes. There is a shelf midway up holding bedding for the couch-pullout. The easy fix would be swap the position of the clothes rod and shelf. The other complaint would be not enough counter space around the sink in the bathroom. This was worked around without too much of a problem, but... This is not an easy fix, but would have to be addressed when hotel was built. The Bath is huge, but the placement of toilet beside sink, doesn't allow for larger counter...
These problems are not enough to keep this hotel from being an excellent stay and value. I WILL stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Not having been to Houston before, I was unprepared for the bleakness of La Porte, a flat, desolate area where the wind direction dictated whether you would be inhaling hydrocarbons or not. If I didn't have business at the port I'd have kept on driving!

But the Holiday Inn was as expected...a few stories high, no problems with parking and a breakfast bar that included cereal, yoghurt and fresh fruit amongst the sausages and muffins.

My room was a complete surprise, though. I know it says "suites" in the name, but I have rented one-bedroom apartments that were smaller. The couch and flat panel tv in the lounge were definitely 'full size' and it was nice to stretch out and watch a hotel movie on a decent screen for a change. Even better, I did not hear the neighbours once, which is very unusual for any hotel (and I had them, I saw Mister Neighbour go into his room one evening).

Now despite all this space, the bedroom itself was meagre in comparison to the full sized kitchen and lounge area. My suitcase was OK over on the other side of the room, but if I'd had a partner one of us would have been tripping over it getting to the bed.

Similarly with the bathroom, which was a pretty normal size for a bathroom but felt cramped after the acres out in the lounge.

In truth, all that space was wasted on me and I rattled around a bit, but I'm certainly not complaining!

So, those were the good points. The bad points were that there is nothing within walking distance - and not much in the way of footpaths that I saw - so you will need a car to get around. And I had to leave for an early flight and when I hit the shower at 4:10am there was no hot water. Lucky that even in April Texas is still pretty warm. Worse for me, and very inexplicable, after I came back to the room on my second day, the bedroom smelled moldy. It is a pet hate of mine and I found it very strange because there was no hint of this when I checked in.

And why do American hotels persist with those in-window air con units? OK, it's not quite in-window at this Holiday Inn, but it's still a direct conduit to the noise of the 146 that was just outside my bedroom. And they are noisy, even on the 'low' fan setting, so I suffered being warm rather than risk industrial deafness running the blower a few feet from my ears all night.

Still, our current project makes revisiting La Porte likely and if so I'll be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the east side so you don't hear the highway
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tghu V
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites La Porte, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Tghu V,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comment, We truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. Please accept my apology for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay. We are continually reviewing the products and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

Again, we wish to thank you for your input and hope to see you the next time you travel to our area.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stopped over in La Porte on our drive from Texas back to Georgia because we wanted to visit San Jacinto and the Battleship Texas. The hotel was nice and clean. We got the apartment-style room which was humongous. The breakfast was good and the staff were nice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 25, 2012

This hotel, located right off of highway 146 in La Porte, is exactly what you'd expect for this area. There are only a few reasons to be in La Porte, one being family, the other being business. No one is here to vacation, despite what the mayor wishes.

This isn't a resort or a vacation hotel. It has frills like the usual business center, the pool, the complimentary wifi.

If you need a place to stay for the night, you won't find a better hotel in this area. The complex is new, the rooms are fresh and clean. Can't really go wrong here.

• Stayed December 2012
Reserve, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Loved my stay there....couple of minor things but very nice people. They treated me wonderful. 4.5 out of 5 stars. It was real cool but the breakfast got stale once. Right off of Spencer Highway. Everyone was so nice and the pool was cool. Right around the corner from my Texas office. Gonna go back. City is beautiful too.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Manassas Va
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Room was clean and new. Area is so so but did not feel unsafe. Pool is small but clean. Breakfast good. Front desk staff very helpful gave directions and ideas freely. Wonderful stay would stay again when back in town!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#7 of 14 in La Porte
Best Western Plus Seabrook Suites

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites La Porte? Share your experiences!