“Horrible”
Review of The Oak Motel

The Oak Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in La Grange
The Oak Motel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in La Grange
“Horrible”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

The oak motel is nasty. There were no locks on the door. The window wouldn't lock. The sheets were dirty. The bathtub had mold and bugs. Ice bucket was black. The room was just overall disgusting.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank txtraveler2012
mavium, Manager at The Oak Motel, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
I must respectfully disagree with your review. The term provided in the review is very harsh and is not an accurate representation of the hospitality service that we provide to all our guests. I would like to state that each room is secure and the property has multiple external safety barriers in place. A phone call to the front desk should have been made to demonstrate the window lock feature. Our linens are first class and are professionally laundered in Austin, Texas, and returned to us in protective plastic covers. The quality control team at the linen service, the delivery driver, and the housekeeping staff perform multiple redudant quality control checks on all linens whereby dirty linens cannot and does not occur. As per our preventative maintenance schedule, at the beginning of each month insecticide is sprayed in each bathtub drain to prevent insects from entering the room. As a consequence of this action, a bug may be seen in the tub after a few days of this application. The bathtubs that are installed at the motel are Crane cast iron tubs made in circa 1964. The bathtubs do have minor iron and calcium spots due to the hard ground water supplied by the local water utility and no mold. I have conducted a thorough review of the entire inventory of ice buckets used at the motel and unable to find a bucket that is black. Overall, I believe that the service we provide is excellent and protective of public health and safety.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Motel is conveniently located close to dowtown and the square.Motel is older so don't expect eveything new but everything in working order. Room came with mini-fridge and microwave. Plenty of cable channel (close to 100). The front room were noisy because of traffic (Hwy.77) but the staff upon my request quickly changed me to one of many quieter rooms futher away from the street.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank StephenArjune
Taos, New Mexico
Reviewed January 22, 2011

I'm enjoying another great and stress-free stay at the Oak Motel -- my second this month. I love the Oak Motel because (1) the rooms and bathrooms are spacious and wonderfully clean, (2) every room has a microwave, a mini-fridge, coffee pot with coffee furnished, and free Wi-Fi, (3) a variety of restaurants (from fast food to a fine bistro, gourmet coffee shop with smoothies, or Chinese take-out or buffet) are all within a short walking distance, (4) the quiet location offers peaceful days and a good night's sleep that you won't find at the chain hotels in La Grange, and (5) The Oak Motel is owned and operated by a family who is very gracious upon your arrival and throughout your stay. All of this at an incredibly reasonable rate. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in La Grange.

NOTE: I'm guessing the guest from Denmark who wrote a 9/24/10 review about "live bugs," isn't familiar with the annual "cricket festival" that comes into Texas for a short time every fall after a healthy rainy season. I stayed at 5-star hotels in downtown Austin and San Antonio, TX during the same timeframe, and all businesses, including the hotels, were having to deal with the same situation. (C'mon -- they're just crickets!) The Oak Motel's response to the review by the guest from Denmark was handled with the same grace that you will appreciate as a guest at the Oak Motel. (Personally, I would disregard the 9/24/10 review.)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank kidita
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed September 24, 2010

....and dead bugs around the room by the panels...

Dusty - dirty - left in a hurry!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
mavium, Manager at The Oak Motel, responded to this review, October 5, 2010
We are sorry to hear that your stay was not to your satisfaction. Our motel is a exterior corridor one-story motel designed whereby the car is parked infront of the room. Here the door opens to the outdoor environment for fresh air unlike the indoor corridor structures. However, we are then exposed to the elements of the season,which includes insects. Again we apologize for the inconvenience you encountered and want to assure you that we have taken corrective measures to remedy the situation you encountered. Thank you, Oak Motel staff and management.
Katy, Tx
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Paid $60 for a double, the room was clean & big with micro, fridge & coffee machine. It's older but well maintained (clean & no musty smell in room). It's right next to Subway, China buffet (good take out food), a block from the main street where courthouse is. And there are several churches within walking distance too.
I notice this motel take pets. This would be a good motel for older travelers with pets.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank simpletraveler
Beaumont, Tx
Reviewed March 13, 2010

I spent 2 nights at the Oak Motel. The owners are so cordial. You feel so welcome , like a guest in their home. I am usually up at 4:30 am every morning. I rested so well at the Oak, I did not wake up until 7:30 am. It felt so good to just relax. I did not want to leave. The town is beautiful, the people are so friendly, and everyone I talked to said there is almost no crime. I was so impressed. Unbelievable! I can hardly wait to get back there.

Mattie G., Beaumont, Tx.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank imaguillory
Greeenwood, Arkansas
Reviewed March 10, 2010

My wife and I and sometimes my mom always stay at the Oaks. The rooms are very clean and comfy and we love the owners. They have become like a family to us and we don't stay anywhere else in LaGrange. Rates are great and right downtown, close to a great coffee shop and nice stores.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Cottonwood Inn
#5 of 7 in La Grange
Best Western Giddings Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Schulenburg

Been to The Oak Motel? Share your experiences!