“Where the heck is Winchester?!”

Murphy's Steakhouse
Ranked #3 of 37 Restaurants in La Grange
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Friends said "Go to Murphys if you want a great steak". OK! Where is Murphys? It's in Winchester.... Not too far from Smithville, La Grange or even Bastrop and Giddings. Murphys is a country place, rather large, and you need reservations and a big appetite! We went with a group of 8 and ordered everything from steaks to burgers All good...except my "filet" which I believe was a strip...although the waitress assured me it was a filet! Salad bar was nice and pot of beans was even better. The menu is pretty broad, steaks, seafood, burgers and sandwiches. It was loud, lots of families and generally a nice night out and worth the drive!

1  Thank Cab4Gam

Reviewed June 14, 2013

This place is a gem. The food is excellent and larger portions than you expect. Everything is bigger in Texas. You won't go wrong with a steak. There is a salad bar and fresh beans to enjoy. This is a charming and casual place. Great place for all party sizes. I recommend reservations for Friday and Saturday evenings.

2  Thank Tahitiancat
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I know if you are at a steakhouse you should order steak but we didn't. We both ordered the chicken fried chicken but should have shared one it was so big. The salad bar was nice and the bean bar was a nice extra. We did not have desert we were so full.
This is an out of the way place but worth the stop if you are near there. We were there in the middle of the week and before the dinner rush. The waitress told us that sometimes there is up to an hour wait so make reservations if you know you are coming.
We would go back anytime we are in the area.

1  Thank Itravel4fun2
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The innkeeper at the Katy B&B in Smithville recommended Murphey's. My sister-in-law and I arrived at Murphey's about 5:00 pm on a Saturday afternoon after a day of antiquing in Round Top. We were asked if we had a reservation and said no but we were seated anyway at one of the last tables without a reserved sign on it. Murphey's is in a "blink and you'll miss it" town. We blinked and did miss it, had to turn around and go back. We were told that had we come 20 minutes later, we would have had to wait for a table. The place was practically empty at that point but within 20 minutes, it was packed with the waiting area full. I ordered the special, a 6 oz prime rib. My SIL ordered the fillet mignon. The salad bar was small but very good. When our main course arrived, we were very pleased. My prime rib was definitely more than 6 oz and melted in my mouth. My SIL's filet mignon was the same. The only negative thing I can say is that the roll was not good at all. But who cares about that! The meat was excellent, the best prime rib I have had in years. It was most definitely worth a stop for dinner.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Took a road trip with the teenage kids. Remember seeing this restaurant in Winchester just a few minutes from La Grange at another time and thought we would give it a try. Smart choice! The burgers were great as well as the chicken fried steak. My favorite was a blackened ribeye. I ordered the medium size and it was huge. Came with a great salad bar and choice of potato as well. The server was very prompt and friendly. For desert we went next door to the cute ice cream shop and enjoyed yummy Blue Bell. Nothing fancy...just casual, cute and quaint. Very laid back and relaxing compared to Houston. I will certainly look forward to visiting again!