“Peaceful Country Retreat”

Sage Hill Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Kyle B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Normally we would not stay in a place in this price range but we were able to snag a Groupon at a great price. When you stay here Dinner and Breakfast is included so it was a very good deal. We stayed in the Michaelis Room and it was very comfy and spacious. The Bathroom was outstanding and large. The towels were soft. The bed was super nice.
In the morning we hiked the mile long (hard) trail and and we were accompanied by Nigel one of the friendly cats that live at the Inn.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 7, 2011

We have stayed at the Inn several times and love, love, love it! The atmosphere is so relaxed and peaceful. The staff if perfect, there if you need them, but also leaves you to enjoy your stay as if you had the entire place to yourselves.

Our two favorite room are the Nance and Kuykendall Suites. The beds are so comfy! The jacuzzi tubs in both suites are set in front of windows that allow you to gaze at your fantastic views of the Texas Hill Country as you relax! We were even lucky enough to stay during a thunderstorm a couple of years ago. I was beautiful, sitting on the balcony, watching the lightening show in the distance.

Besides the peace and quiet, the absolute BEST thing about the Inn is the food!! Chef Marcos Galvan is a wizard with food! There is nothing more I can say...it's just that good!! One top of being one of the best chefs I've ever come across, he is also so nice. He was actually the very first staff person that we met on our first trip to the Inn a few years ago. He set the bar very high.

Room Tip: The Nance Suite is the entire 3rd floor of one building. Great views from every room. The Kuykendall...
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Inn Above Onion Creek to celebrate my birthday and the impending birth of our first baby. We had such a great time. The staff was so accommodating and made you feel like you were right at home. We stayed in one of the rooms on the third floor and it was great. Everything is so peaceful. The food is also incredible. We were highly impressed at every meal. My husband arranged for us to have a special dinner in the library one night by ourselves and it was quite romantic. We also spent a good deal of time laying out at the pool. We were the only ones enjoying the pool so it's like we had it to ourselves. We also took advantage of the couples massage which I highly recommend. I love the little cats and the 3-legged dog that hang out at the Inn as well. If you are looking for a romantic, peaceful, get-away, the Inn Above Onion Creek is your place!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I am avid fan of Groupon.com and when I saw the offer for Inn Above Onion Creek, I jumped at the opportunity to get a night at a bed and breakfast for the amazing price of 50% the regular summer rate. My husband and I didn't get a real vacation this year, so we decided to add a 2nd night to our stay, as well as a couples massage at the Inn's spa and count this as our vacation. What a wonderful retreat we found in our own backyard! Upon arrival we were greeted by Amy, the Inn Keeper, who showed us around the property and gave us all the insider info about the dinner and breakfast schedule as well as ideas of things to do in the area. The dining room/kitchen was well stocked with homemade cookies, iced tea, sodas and coffee that was always available. There is a lovely library with books, movies and games you can borrow and even a couch and tv if you just want a nice quiet place to hang out. We opted to go to our guest room which was located on the 2nd floor of building #2. I had chosen the Michaelis room from the website photo because it had a king bed and a private balcony overlooking the hillcountry, but the real draw for me was the huge whirlpool tub and glass block shower. Needless to say I was not disappointed when we walked into the room. It was absolutely lovely! The bath was as amazing as pictured and the room was cozy and comfortable. I didn't realize when I booked the room that the bed was going to be taller than I was and would require steps to get into it, but that just added to the charm. After climbing in, I was thrilled to find the bed to be one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. The linens were fresh, clean and crisp, yet soft and homey. The denim comforter was the perfect choice for the decor. We decided to just take a relaxing hour our two before dinner and enjoy the peace and quiet. Dinner was served at 6:00 p.m., so we made our way to the dining room and found tables dressed with fabric placemats, napkins and fresh flowers. The meals are served at tables of 6-8 so you are joined by other guests in the inn and we met many nice couples during our stay. The inn does not have a license to sell alcohol, so you are encouraged to bring your own bottle of wine to dinner. This created a very nice atmosphere and the opportunity to share wine with our tablemates. The food was fabulous! The inn's chefs use local ingredients whenever possible and the first night we were treated to an incredible pecan encrusted fish dish. I'm not much of a seafood lover and I ate every last bite of this entree! My husband is a bit of a foodie and he raved about the meal as well. I would certainly say that the 3 courses were every bit of 4 star worthy. Breakfasts are hot and hearty and there was always a platter of fresh fruit and assorted breakfast breads available as well as fresh squeezed orange juice. On day 2 we opted for an hour long couples massage at the spa, and both therapists were fantastic. Their magic fingers took away weeks of stress for me and for the first time in ages, I felt relaxed. I finished up each night with a long soak in the deep whirlpool bath and enjoyed the local lavendar body wash that was provided in the room. One note of caution for those of you who don't get the opportunity to use a whirpool too often- adding too much of the lovely scented lavendar wash to the bath and turning on the jets makes for mountains of bubbles, so don't go overboard with the bottle. We loved our stay at the Inn and plan to make it our new retreat for those weekend getaways when you can't go too far from home. If you need a nice quiet place with big porches and beautiful hill country landscape, the Inn At Onion Creek is for you.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kfancii1
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Our second visit to the fantastic Inn and we brought friends this time. We loved our visit! The dinners, the breakfasts, the piece and quiet will draw us there again! Amy and her staff make you feel so welcome and the feather beds made for much needed rest and relaxation! This IAOC is truly Heaven in the Hill Country!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank captredball
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We have been going here at least once a year for the past three years. It's the perfect weekend getaway! The food and service is top notch...

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed June 9, 2011

What a gem! Who knew such an amazing place was so close - yet so far - from downtown Austin. The grounds are amazing - fantastic views, beautiful gardens, "upscale rustic" facility. We unfortunately had to miss the dinner, but the breakfast was superb. Thelma's Cottage was very nice. Great work, Inn Above Onion Creek! I hope to be back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kyle
Hampton Inn Kyle
#1 of 3 in Kyle
South Austin
Kimber Modern Hotel
Kimber Modern Hotel
#2 of 36 in Austin
Creekhaven Inn
#4 of 19 in Wimberley

Been to Sage Hill Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!