“Absolutely Fascinating"”

King Ranch Visitor Center
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Kingsville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A short-day trip from Corpus Christi, the Rio Grande Valley or San Antonio, this 825,000-acre ranch is a privately owned National Historic Landmark and offers daily tours on its' Santa Gertrudis division. The King Ranch Museum and Saddle Shop are separate locations in downtown Kingsville. Visitors can watch a video on the history and current operations of the Ranch, as well as explore the butterfly/birding garden on the grounds of the King Ranch Visitor Center. King Ranch Visitor Center is open seven days a week and closed on most holidays. You can practice roping on the grounds, check out our historic chuck wagon, picnic, and bird watch, or check out the store and exhibits inside. Free coffee always!
Punta Gorda, Florida
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Absolutely Fascinating"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2011

We had just moved to TX in October and were anxious to visit the King Ranch, something we had heard about many times on vacations in the area. We decided to take the tour on the day after Thanksgiving, which was a great time to visit since it wasn't very busy. There are a couple of different tours, the agricultural tour and the house tour. We chose the agricultural tour which was absolutely fascinating. Our tour guides father worked on the ranch and she basically grew up playing on the ranch with the King children and the other staff so we had a little bit more of an inside look at the workings of the ranch and the family. I have to say that this is probably one of the most interesting & educational tours I have ever taken. There is so much history there and the ranch has contributed to so much in the agricultural world. I know that when we have company come to visit we certainly will be putting this on our list of places to see. Next time I'd also like to take the house tour.

Visited November 2010
7 Thank Cheryl K

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“King Ranch worth seeing and learning the history of the area!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

My husband and I visited last year and felt this was an interesting tour. In fact, we plan on visiting again and taking in a longer tour. The short tour gives you a feel for the area and the history of ranching and cowboy life. It was like stepping back into time. I would recommend this if you enjoy history.

Visited March 2010
4 Thank Dlrbre03
Covington, Louisiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“We arrived at 11:45am for the 3pm tour?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2011

When we got in the LONG line for the 90 minute tours that start every hour, they ran out of tickets to the 2:00 tour!!!! I only wish that my wife and I knew about the wait time BEFORE we left San Antonio at 9 am!!! Waiting over 3 hours for the 3 pm tour would have put us home well after 8 pm. Their lack of tour guides and proper bus size made one of our precious vacation days miserable. The drive from San Antonio was boring and down right ugly. Don't waste the day.

Visited January 2011
3 Thank drdanvet
San Antonio
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Great Day Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2010

My husband and I were in Corpus for our 29th anniversary and were looking to take a day trip. We're glad we weren't deterred by some of the reviews.

Young people wouldn't like it, but anyone over 40 would find it interesting. Our tour driver talked non-stop and he was excellent. Normally that would not be somehing I could handle.

We did go to the museum and wouldn't recommend the trip on its own, but in combination it was good. The cars were wortth seeing.

4 Thank Retiredlady8
Graz, Austria
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Amazing Ranch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2010

The King Ranch is one of the largest in the country. We made one of their 4h special tours ...it was very nice. After the tour we could also go to the museum and learn a little bit about the ranches history..which was.very interesting. The cowboy who showed us around was ok, although he didn't know much about their quater-horses :( But he told us funny stories about his youth, which was amusing. I would def recommend going on this half-day tour instead of just going there for 30min...the ranch is so big you wouldn't see a lot in 30 min.

4 Thank wuensc05